New Roof

andreah1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
Our dish is on the roof, what happens when you get a new roof? We are going to have to either re-shingle or possibly put on a new steel roof shortly and I'm sure when the time comes the contractor will call a day or two before they're coming to say "we're next"....I'm sure I can't just lift the dish up, let them re-shingle that area and put the dish back thinking all will be well. And, I know to make an appt. most of the time they are at least 2 weeks out...so does that mean no tv for that time? No, my husband or I aren't techy enough to do the set up ourselves (pointing, etc)....What do we do? HAve them come and put it on a pole instead? Or just hope we can survive without tv for awhile? (ugh).

I have wondered the same thing too for our roof. We may not need a new roof for a good long while yet, but I figured they would just re-shingle around the mount, but I would try to call and ask them if possible. :)

Reactions: andreah1
I just had my roof replaced. The roofers removed this dish, and then I PM'ed a DIRT member here to set up an appt for a tech to come out and remount it after that section was complete. I have the protection plan, so it didn't cost me anything. I had to wait a couple days more than I wanted to for the appt, but it's summer and there's plenty of other things to do outside...

I strongly suggest shifting to a gable mount. You might be able to do it before the roofers start work, and if they're careful they won't knock it out of alignment. No service interruption. And you won't have holes thru your new roof.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Reactions: Hall and andreah1
When I had my roof done, the contractor tried to set the dish back in the same position. Was close, but I did need a tech visit to fix it. Start the protection plan when you contact Dish. Keep ot for the required time or cancel it after the visit and pay the cancellation fee.

When I had my roof done, the contractor tried to set the dish back in the same position. Was close, but I did need a tech visit to fix it.

Same here a couple years ago. They were close enough I never completely lost signal, but I did have to call for a visit to realign it to get proper signal strength back.

When I had my roof replaced, I called and set up an appt with Dish for when the roofers told me they would be at that spot. Unfortunately the CSR misunderstood and sent the tech out a day too early, it was weird we had a date set, then when I called back to find out why he came out earlier it had been switched to "earliest available" or something like that Fortunately one of the roofers was a former installer and was able to set it back up. He actually did a better job than the original install. I used to get terrible rain fade then after the new roof it was fine. I would do as others said and pm a Dirt member when the time comes. I try not to think about the holes in my roof now , I have both a Dish and a Direct up there now. If I switch back to Dish I wonder if I would end up with a 3rd... I never did end up losing signal, thanks to the roofer.

I avoided pole mounts just because they were way too much trouble and were always getting hit by something or someone. A roof mount was #1 location for me as easy to get to and easy to drop cables right over and very unlikely to get get touched. Stick to the roof mount but just time out the tech visit for a day when you know they will have that section done and if its calling for rain - reschedule the thing because doing one of those in the rain is really unsafe...TV isn't that important.

Thanks all, we currently have the protection plan on our account due to getting Hopper's in April (all was free if I took out the protection plan), so I won't cancel it for a bit. I'm hoping if we go with shingles they can at least re-mount it close enough that we don't completely knock out the signal but you're right, tv isn't that important. Just afraid if it doesn't happen til September when all the new shows start I'll be upset. If we go with steel I have no idea how you mount to that, the same I guess? Clueless.

I was told, or saw on a different website that sells roof mounts, you will need a different roof mount for a steel roof, the regular one won't work for a steel roof. I don't have the website name with me, it's on my laptop. Anyway, if you do decide to go with a steel roof, try to google around for a satellite dish steel roof mount and see what websites you can find that sell them and check them out. :)

In trailer parks you need to use poles because in our area the ground if nothing but gumbo. It moves several times a year and it makes the trailer unlevel and if you put a dish on the roof , it too will now be unlevel and you get signal loss. I have had my dishes on poles that I had installed back in 05 after Hurricane Rita . They stay on level and don't lose signal strength. Before that I had them on a pole that Primestar had used for their dish in 95. After Rita the pole just broke off at the ground level ,so I used new fence poles and quikrete to keep them in place.

I prefer to have them mounted on the side of the house or on a pole next to the house, like in the landscaping. The roof can be great but living in an area where we have bad winters it can be impossible to work on them.

As for those of you who got your Dish's remounted for free you are lucky. This should not be covered under the protection plan even though Dish seems to do it all the time. We will not do them for free and will charge the customer a service call.

When I faced the same situation, the last thing I wanted to do was to put the dish on my new roof. I had the protection plan, and dish installed a pole mount for free (long time customer).

I am happy not to have the dish on my roof, and now it is easy to brush the snow off.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I kinda prefer to have it on a pole as well but we'll see what happens when the time comes, hoping to have a new roof this month but obviously it's a busy time for contractors. Where ours has to be located on the roof is VERY dangerous and a pain in the neck with snow (we are in upstate ny) so would be nice if we could just walk outside and brush it off like our Exede internet.

I kinda prefer to have it on a pole as well but we'll see what happens when the time comes, hoping to have a new roof this month but obviously it's a busy time for contractors. Where ours has to be located on the roof is VERY dangerous and a pain in the neck with snow (we are in upstate ny) so would be nice if we could just walk outside and brush it off like our Exede internet.

In a case like yours it would be great to have it lower to the ground.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts