New router - now no PPV

Just for jeepers, Web, what does your Network look like on the Hopper. To see this, press Home 3 times on your remote and then go down to Network or press 2. You should get a screen that looks something like this:

View attachment 162089

If you don't see a 'connected' between your Hopper and router press 5 to Reset Network. Try this and see what happens. Also if you can please take a picture of the Diagnostics screen and post it here.
Bobby, I don't have a Hopper, it is a VIP211Z. I have "Connection failure - Please check broadband".

Reactions: charlesrshell
Arlo, installed the app and did get a list like you show. Shows MAC as 28-57-67-8B-A5-36 green light is on. Then the next line is Dish again with slightly different IP address and unknown computer name and different Mac address.
Let's establish a few hard rules.
Every device you will ever see has it's own factory assigned MAC address.
IF you buy your own cable modem, DSL modem. The ISP needs to know the MAC address to "provision" it for your account.
Any device connected to the router on that modem will have a local IP address assigned to it IF the device is set to get an IP address automatically (DHCP) from the router.

I do not understand you stating:
Shows MAC as 28-57-67-8B-A5-36 green light is on. Then the next line is Dish again with slightly different IP address and unknown computer name and different Mac address
In your satellite receiver Somewhere in the network setup/diagnostic screens or in an About the receiver screen....
You Will find a MAC address. I want to know that.
I want to know IF you see it also in wakemeonlan. Do you? And is the IP address in the same "scope" of the other addresses?

I need to know if the receivers IP address is in the same IP range you see for devices listed in wakemeonlan.
Example: In my screen shot 192.168.5.238 is my Amazon Fire TV.
See that every device starts with 192.168.5.XXX. The XXX being unique.
You may see the addresses as 192.168.1.XXX or as you see in Bobby's screen shot......
HIS home network is 10.0.0.XXX. His XXX number for his receiver is 248. His pc may get 10.0.0.50, printer may get 10.0.0.61.
Those numbers are assigned BY HIS ROUTER. IF THEY ARE SET TO GET AN IP ADDRESS Automatically.

Please grab a screen shot(s) of what you currently have. And post them.

Please pull the Ethernet cable. Perform a network reset. Cold boot the router. Shut that sucker down. Before powering it up, plug the cable back in.

The manual for your receiver.....well....sucks. And the networking guide I'm directed to.....sucks.
But networking functions are easy.
We just need to speak the same lingo.
Screen shots of everything please.
hold the alt key and then press prt screen key. paste it in here.

Let's establish a few hard rules.
Every device you will ever see has it's own factory assigned MAC address.
IF you buy your own cable modem, DSL modem. The ISP needs to know the MAC address to "provision" it for your account.
Any device connected to the router on that modem will have a local IP address assigned to it IF the device is set to get an IP address automatically (DHCP) from the router.

I do not understand you stating:

In your satellite receiver Somewhere in the network setup/diagnostic screens or in an About the receiver screen....
You Will find a MAC address. I want to know that.
I want to know IF you see it also in wakemeonlan. Do you? And is the IP address in the same "scope" of the other addresses?

I need to know if the receivers IP address is in the same IP range you see for devices listed in wakemeonlan.
Example: In my screen shot 192.168.5.238 is my Amazon Fire TV.
See that every device starts with 192.168.5.XXX. The XXX being unique.
You may see the addresses as 192.168.1.XXX or as you see in Bobby's screen shot......
HIS home network is 10.0.0.XXX. His XXX number for his receiver is 248. His pc may get 10.0.0.50, printer may get 10.0.0.61.
Those numbers are assigned BY HIS ROUTER. IF THEY ARE SET TO GET AN IP ADDRESS Automatically.

Please grab a screen shot(s) of what you currently have. And post them.

Please pull the Ethernet cable. Perform a network reset. Cold boot the router. Shut that sucker down. Before powering it up, plug the cable back in.

The manual for your receiver.....well....sucks. And the networking guide I'm directed to.....sucks.
But networking functions are easy.
We just need to speak the same lingo.
Screen shots of everything please.
hold the alt key and then press prt screen key. paste it in here.
Hey Arlo, Thanks so much for all the time spent typing and trying to help and figure out what the heck I'm saying ha-ha. I took the easy way out and a tech is coming here tomorrow to install a Hopper w/sling and 2 Joey's. All free!!!! Can't believe it. So, I'm not going to mess with it anymore and want you and everyone else that's chimed in to help me to know I appreciate it more than you know. But now I get updated equipment, no price rise and no install costs and he has to figure it out LOL. Tomorrow no less. Again, thanks so much folks!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hey Arlo, Thanks so much for all the time spent typing and trying to help and figure out what the heck I'm saying ha-ha. I took the easy way out and a tech is coming here tomorrow to install a Hopper w/sling and 2 Joey's. All free!!!! Can't believe it. So, I'm not going to mess with it anymore and want you and everyone else that's chimed in to help me to know I appreciate it more than you know. But now I get updated equipment, no price rise and no install costs and he has to figure it out LOL. Tomorrow no less. Again, thanks so much folks!
Why not Hopper 3? It is much nicer.

Reactions: webfarmer
I guess there's two ways to look at it. Good you're getting updated stuff
The other way is this went dead in the water. What if it happens again? Did you learn anything? Give it enough of an effort so this thread will help others in the future?
Or was the ash tray in the ford full, couldn't figure out how to put a new filter in the vacuum, asked how to and quit.
And went down to the dealer for a new vehicle. And still the vacuum cleaner won't suck.
Good luck!

I guess there's two ways to look at it. Good you're getting updated stuff
The other way is this went dead in the water. What if it happens again? Did you learn anything? Give it enough of an effort so this thread will help others in the future?
Or was the ash tray in the ford full, couldn't figure out how to put a new filter in the vacuum, asked how to and quit.
And went down to the dealer for a new vehicle. And still the vacuum cleaner won't suck.
Good luck!
Actually, it might happen again. At some point, fiber optic phone lines / DSL will be here. Going to ask him how that will work. If he has time, I'll ask what stopped the disconnect after the modem was installed and report back. Also have a guy coming tomorrow to fix 2 issues from the ice storm. I get what you're saying Arlo and sorry you spent so much time on it. Hope he can tell me why. Been messing with this issue for weeks and time has run out. Thanks again!

Just a couple of things. First the hopper3 gives you 16 tuners compared to hopper slings 3 tuners. However it does not cost more per month just usually has a one time fee of $100 which if you argue enough can get it waived. Also without credits it's impossible for your bill not go up by a minimum of $15 for the dvr fee. I've had a lot of customers tell me sane thing that on phone were told it wouldn't go up but it actually does. But if they add a monthly credit, it will offset the increase. Secondly, most techs aren't very knowledgeable in networking and will most likely have no answer for why your 211 quit connecting or how to even resolve it. When they try to connect your new hopper if it doesn't connect initially they may reset the hopper and modem and outsude of that aren't going to do any troubleshooting as it's not part of our job to fix networking issues. There is a slight chance though they do know how to do networking stuff and can fix it but don't be surprised if they can't do anything. But hopefully it will just work and maybe the 211 was just bad.

Just a couple of things. First the hopper3 gives you 16 tuners compared to hopper slings 3 tuners. However it does not cost more per month just usually has a one time fee of $100 which if you argue enough can get it waived. Also without credits it's impossible for your bill not go up by a minimum of $15 for the dvr fee. I've had a lot of customers tell me sane thing that on phone were told it wouldn't go up but it actually does. But if they add a monthly credit, it will offset the increase. Secondly, most techs aren't very knowledgeable in networking and will most likely have no answer for why your 211 quit connecting or how to even resolve it. When they try to connect your new hopper if it doesn't connect initially they may reset the hopper and modem and outsude of that aren't going to do any troubleshooting as it's not part of our job to fix networking issues. There is a slight chance though they do know how to do networking stuff and can fix it but don't be surprised if they can't do anything. But hopefully it will just work and maybe the 211 was just bad.
Thanks for the detail and what to expect! Should prove to be an interesting day.

i would run from dsl any day of the week. cable, fiber, or starlink.
as for the isp field tech goes. take a tip. a hot pizza, cold pepsi, or hot coffee waiting.
and a "do you think you could take a look at....while you're here?"
Update: Everything hooked up and working. What a difference from the old receiver. Well worth the free price :) When asked why the VIP receiver wouldn't work with the new router, he couldn't say for sure other than new vs old technology. The new Hopper is connected by the same ethernet cable so, who knows? Thanks again folks!