New satellite launches despite economic turbulence ?

caboclipper

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
What do you think regarding the fact that dish may have 2 launches in 2009, Nimiq-5 to 72.7 and Echostar 14 to 119, I mean with all this economic turbulence going on worldwide ?

Dish isn't launching Nimiq 5, Telesat in Canada is. Dish is just going to be leasing capacity off of it.

They still have to move forwards with plans. You either go forward to keep up with your competition or you fall back and go out of business (or suffer).

Thats the other thing E14 for 119w has already been announced and all contracts signed. That one will be good to go. Its Echostar 15 that may be delayed but that is 3-5 years away and who knows what will happen by then... I know my stock broker doesnt...

The world does not revolve around Charlie Ergen. Satellite(s) have age limits and have to be replaced so often. Also, I believe that E14 is going to the 61.5 location because E3 is running of fuel and is an old sat. and E15 is going to 119. That is correct Nimiq 5 is going to 72.5 also, Nimiq 6 is going to 77. Major corporations budget funds for these types of projects.

Nimiq announced awhile ago if memory serves that after Nimiq 5 they were going to be laying off of the launches. Also, I don't think Nimiq 6 would go to 77w when 77w is a Mexican slot. In fact, I believe the new 'Dishnetwork Mexico' is going to have a satellite launching there as a Quiznat (sp?) satellite. Whenever Nimq 6 comes down the pipe, I probably see it going to 91w to replace any and all of the Nimiq birds that are there right now, as 82w just got a new bird in place that should have 15 years in life.

Talking about Canada, Ciel IV is going to 138 west another Canadian slot. That satellite is 5-6 years away...

Maybe someone with more knowledge can confirm E14. I thought it was going to 119w, with the E3 replacement being E6 when Nimiq 5 arrives - which then will open up a few TPs that presently E3 and E12 are not able to serve. No idea where E7 would go if E14 is to replace it, with part of the question being can the TPs that are used as spots be turned to Conus beams or must they stay as spots? Perhaps it would go to 77w and the beams could be used.

Economic slowdowns are the perfect time to do capital improvements, by the way. The hard part is getting short-term investors to see it your way if you are a publicly traded company.

Nimiq announced awhile ago if memory serves that after Nimiq 5 they were going to be laying off of the launches. Also, I don't think Nimiq 6 would go to 77w when 77w is a Mexican slot. In fact, I believe the new 'Dishnetwork Mexico' is going to have a satellite launching there as a Quiznat (sp?) satellite. Whenever Nimq 6 comes down the pipe, I probably see it going to 91w to replace any and all of the Nimiq birds that are there right now, as 82w just got a new bird in place that should have 15 years in life.

Talking about Canada, Ciel IV is going to 138 west another Canadian slot. That satellite is 5-6 years away...

Maybe someone with more knowledge can confirm E14. I thought it was going to 119w, with the E3 replacement being E6 when Nimiq 5 arrives - which then will open up a few TPs that presently E3 and E12 are not able to serve. No idea where E7 would go if E14 is to replace it, with part of the question being can the TPs that are used as spots be turned to Conus beams or must they stay as spots? Perhaps it would go to 77w and the beams could be used.

The E-14 satellite is going to 119 W based on a Dish financial report from a year or so back. It is suppose to be a spotbeam satellite but I am speculating that it will be like Ciel-2, both CONUS and spotbeam. Not sure when it will launch, either the second half of 2009 or early 2010 and it will be launched either on a Proton or a Zenit-2 by SeaLaunch.

It was my speculation that E-6 would move to 61.5 W to augment E-3 there after Nimiq 5 is launched to 72.7 W since the E-6 downlink pattern is very good for 72.7 W and should be very good for 61.5 W. In regards to E-7, after E-14 gets to 119 W, its spotbeams will not be used no matter where it ends up. E-7 may stay at 119 W and provide CONUS coverage or it could move to 148 W to provide CONUS coverage there. It has the capability to do all 32 TPs at a DBS slot in CONUS coverage. I have also speculated that it could move to 129 W to provide CONUS coverage on 16 TPs in double power mode which would allow the Ciel-2 satellite to use all its spotbeam capability. Power limitations will limit Ciel-2 from providing 16 TPs of CONUS coverage and fully use its spotbeam capabilities.

Someone mentioned Ciel-4 going to 138 W but of more interest is Ciel-3 which appears to be a "reverse DBS" satellite going to 118.7 W where Dish leases a Ku band satellite. As a side note the QuetzSat-1 will be launched to 77 W to replace E-8 there in 2011. It has been speculated that it will be a large spotbeam satellite as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)