New Satellite TV and Radio Stations

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Now you have some spin offs from TechTV like Leo's Twitt.TV 'which is really not a TV show" and Revision3 which is has allot of good shows like Tekzilla, but all these are more like video podcast shows. We need a 24/7 Tech Live channel. A CNN of Technology.

It won't work anymore. The usefulness of a linear channel like TechTV was has passed, largely because content can be easily distributed online , and forums and blogs have the help, product reviews, coverage of events such as CES, and the major press outlets and blogs cover tech issues well. Plus, people want their content on demand now. Having Tech-TV on satellite was great when I didn't have broadband I'll sat though.

As for me.

As far as I'm concerned I would love it.
I live in an area where there is no cable or dsl and we cant get any ota because of mountains.
I have been watching FTA for 15 yrs on c band now and on ku for about 5 yrs.
I miss a lot that I used to get on c band ,but I still love FTA.

Few random thoughts here.

You may want to check out getting some progarmming from other Englah speaking countries. They do make a few shows in Canada that are never shown here (although by and large the Canadian TV networks leach off the America ones) and there are many Australian and Britich shows that could alos most likely be picked up cheaply and be "NEW" to the audience. Even if they were made 15-20 years ago.

I know at one time (mid 1990s) there was a big book of all the movies and TV prog
rammes that were in the public domain It came out annually. These programme you run for free assuming that you found a decent quality print. Most of the $1 DVDs and VHS tapes at Wal mart are PD movies.

I am not sure when the rules changed but at one point in time if you did not send in the material to the copyright office the material was not under copyright. And thus was in puclic domian. A number of episodes from popular 1960s TV series are this way. I discovered this when I was doing research for a book I wrote in the 1990s. The first season and a half of star Trek had not been sent in and in the 1984 paramount registered them (since they were being sold on 16mm film) basing their copyright on the fact that someone had sent in recordings of the incidental music to the copyright office. The government used to issue big books of everything that had been sent n for copyright (Catalog of Copyright) I think the name was and it was sent to all libraireis that are considered goevernemnet document archives. They stopped putting these out in the early 1990s. I do know if you go to Library of Congress in DC they have a computer terminal instaleld that lets you look up all the entries since then.

Note that anything that is PD you would need to find a decent copy of the material to broadcast. Some really old stuff from the era of live TV is no longer in existence.

There is a guy down in the KC area that bought the rights to many of the old Sci FI series from the 1950s as well as movies he like form the era. He only bought the rights if he could get prints, for a fee he may be inclined to let you run some of his shows.

If you really get the idea up and running you may at some point be able to get some of the other channels that want to be free to be located in your MIX if you get one (and you chrage them accordingly) religious and barker channels IE.

And I thought I was the only one.

Hey Radar, any updates on the project???

Hi LoTech,

No, not to much to update lately. I have been sidetracked a little and haven't been doing any research on this recently. I will get back to it shortly and I have not abandoned the idea. It is still high on my list.

Gordy

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)