New Satellites for DISH - only reason to stay for now

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Two answer your question there are two launches scheduled, the first being in July the other being in December.

Also Dish did not swap out VOOM for the new channels as they were both airing at the same time. Dish has room for more HD, infact yesterday evening Dish starting warming up 20 more HD channel slots. (check the uplink center)
15 of which had been presumably used by Voom channels. So while yes, they aired the new channels they turned on for a number of hours with Voom still up, it surely seems that the room for 15 of these 20 new uplinks is coming from the freed-up bandwidth from Voom.

Yep - there was more to that satellite than the Olympics. Otherwise, Charlie would not be freaking out now. How the mighty have fallen.

I don't underestimate Charlie though, hence why I will wait till the next launch and see what he does in the mean time.

But if he can't get his birds up in the air to begin with, then Dish is *******

Last edited by a moderator:
But if he can't get his birds up in the air to begin with, then Dish is ******
You know, you really need to be better studied on a subject you like to think you are well versed in. Starting with the fact, it was a totally separate company that launched the ill-fated AMC 14 sat, which in fact was owned by another company, therefore Dish was a victim of misfortune and not inept as you like to imply. As well as the fact that even D* leases sat space from third parties.

Last edited by a moderator:
This banter back and forth that D* is better than E* or vice versa is old already. I will never understand why anyone who pays money to a provider in return for tv programming would even care to defend or argue in favor of a company that is in business to take your hard-earned money in return for a service they provide you. I don't understand what the people who puff up their chests are trying to prove or who they are trying to convince they are right. People in these and other forums are in the small minority of satellite subscribers. The overwhelming majority of subscribers could care less what D* or E* does or doesn't do. I pay for a service and I get what I pay for. If I'm not getting the value for my dollars, I can go to another provider. Seems to me there are far more important things to debate than my satellite provider is better than your satellite provider. It's also unfortunate that people like me who frequent these forums in search of information has to wade through the muck and mire to find it.

You know, you really need to be better studied on a subject you like to think you are well versed in. Starting with the fact, it was a totally separate company that launched the ill-fated AMC 14 sat, which in fact was owned by another company, therefore Dish was a victim of misfortune and not inept as you like to imply. As well as the fact that even D* leases sat space from third parties.

Umm...

I know I'm not an expert, if I was, I would not be asking questions about this (as I would already know). I also know there are 100s here who know all the tech stuff that is way over my head. That's the beauty of this forum, someone always knows more. Great place to ask questions.

I do understand that it is a third party that launches the birds. I'm aware that it is Dish who was the victim of misfortune and not directly responsible (I don't think I said they were, but I guess I implied that).

But, none of that changes the fact that Dish needs to be able to get their birds in the air if they want me to stick with them.

Back when DirecTV launched their HD channels and everyone here was DISH bitching and complained and whinned and threatened to switch, I defended Dish.

I tried explaining to people that Charlie is smart, watching DirecTV launch, then he'll do it 10 X better. One just needs patients.

But now there is a launch failure, removal of 15 24/7 HD channels, and a truly dumbed down HD pack. That has cracked my faith in Charlie, but I won't underestimate him either.

Charlie needs to pull a big ass magic rabbit out of his hat!

My best friend has always had DirecTV - for years my system kicked his ass - there wasn't even any competition or comparison between DirecTV and Dish. I an clearly see that DirecTV now has more SD channels, more HD channels and a kick ass free VOD service. My DVR and PocketDISH are my only advantage.

It's very clear that DirecTV is currently better than Dish now. So Charlie - please pull out your magic rabbit so my system can kick my friends butt once again.

As mad as I am about loosing my Voom, I'm still supporting Charlie, asking when the next launches are, and waiting and looking to see what he does.

This is NOT a bash Dish thread - but a what are their next moves thread - so I can decide what I wish to spend my money on.

I'm been with Dish for years and years - I know the grass sometimes gets greener on the other side, but the Dish side has always been far greener all these years. I'm not quite jumping boat, but I need to see some magic soon.

Last edited:
This banter back and forth that D* is better than E* or vice versa is old already. I will never understand why anyone who pays money to a provider in return for tv programming would even care to defend or argue in favor of a company that is in business to take your hard-earned money in return for a service they provide you. I don't understand what the people who puff up their chests are trying to prove or who they are trying to convince they are right. People in these and other forums are in the small minority of satellite subscribers. The overwhelming majority of subscribers could care less what D* or E* does or doesn't do. I pay for a service and I get what I pay for. If I'm not getting the value for my dollars, I can go to another provider. Seems to me there are far more important things to debate than my satellite provider is better than your satellite provider. It's also unfortunate that people like me who frequent these forums in search of information has to wade through the muck and mire to find it.

I'm not playing D* is better than E*

If you have not noticed, E* has removed services I chose to pay for, services that made me choose E* over D* In fact, I switched from D* to E* because of their HD choices.

This week, I'm paying E* for a completely different HD programming package.

Every E* person has a right to question their service this week.

I'm asking questions about new satellite launches for MY DISH service, giving Charlie an opportunity to WOW me again.

That seems far more reasonable and intelligent than "F U Dish for VOOM I'm gone".

Instead I'm saying, "I didn't like that DISH, but I'm trusting you're going to do something kick ass soon to let me know it was worth it".

E* has the low cost, all HD package, HD Absolute, which would seem to be an E* advantage over D*. I for one don't mourn the loss of Voom as long as they get some additional HD to replace it. If the 20 new slots are all HD premiums, I won't be impressed. The other Rainbow channels would actually be better than having Voom for me. The biggest sore spot for me in comparing E* and D* has to be the Fox channels. The only thing keeping me from jumping ship to D* has been HD Absolute. I like my 722 and all the E* DVRs I've ever owned, but not enough to keep from switching if I think D* has more to offer at some point. I've been with E* since August 1998 when I put up my first dish and haven't been tempted to switch until this year.

The answer to the question on the sats. Echostar 11 (to replace E 8 at 110 degrees)is set to go up in July of this year. Ciel 2 is set for either Dec this year or Jan next year. This is according to the Lyngsat Satellite launch schedule.

So, is Ciel2 the 129 replacement, or do we know yet?

Yes it is.

Lots of spot beams.

If it launches and goes on-line successfully, then Western subscribers will no longer have any reason to feel jealous about "Eastern Arc".

( Not to mention that the 30-inch dishes that we have all installed in the meanwhile will pin the signal meter. :cool: )

wait, but whats happening to 129? if we replace 129, then we'd have to put all of the channels on the new satellite and the same bandwith problem would remain

wasn't one of the remaining two launches going to be used for non-US service. I seem to remember the ra-ra about three launches at the start of the year - two of which would be used for US service and one for somewhere else .. did the plans change ?

It was always AMC-14, Echostar 11 & Ciel-2 to be launched in 2008, as I recall. AMC-14 put a hold on ILS Launches, so Ciel-2 is now scheduled for 1st qtr of 2009. Echostar 11 is to be launched by Sea-Launch in late July.

CMBStar 1 (Echostar 13)

wasn't one of the remaining two launches going to be used for non-US service. I seem to remember the ra-ra about three launches at the start of the year - two of which would be used for US service and one for somewhere else .. did the plans change ?
I think you are referring to CMBStar 1 (Echostar 13) that was to be launched for non-US use. It is on hold right now.
EchoStar told the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) in April that one of its subsidiaries had made an initial down payment of $34 million on a "non-U.S. satellite services project," and that up to $115 million in additional EchoStar funding would be made available, pending project milestones.

In May 2008, CMBStar was suspended to review, whether the satellite can meet it's performance specifications.

I think you are referring to CMBStar 1 (Echostar 13) that was to be launched for non-US use. It is on hold right now.

That was the one ... supposed to be for China wasn't it ?

So they still have two more planned not including E13 .. is that correct ...

Ceil2 and E11 ?

wait, but whats happening to 129? if we replace 129, then we'd have to put all of the channels on the new satellite and the same bandwith problem would remain

129 right now does not have spot beams. Everything on 129 goes to the entire country. So, all the local HD channels are going nation wide, this means they can only use the channels/frequencies one time. The new 129 will have spot beams, so the locals only go to the area where they are needed. This means that they will be able to reuse the same channels/frequencies over again in different cities.

By using a set of channels/frequencies (aka transponders or TPs) over and over again they will be able to provide the locals to a ton of new cities without using up all the assigned frequencies. Each DBS slot has 32 TP frequencies. If they reuse 10 of them 14 times lets say, they could cover 140 cities with 10 TPs, leaving 22 for national use. Right now to cover 32 cities from 129 it would take the entire capacity of 129.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts