New Satellites for DISH - only reason to stay for now

Umm...

I know I'm not an expert, if I was, I would not be asking questions about this (as I would already know). I also know there are 100s here who know all the tech stuff that is way over my head. That's the beauty of this forum, someone always knows more. Great place to ask questions.

I do understand that it is a third party that launches the birds. I'm aware that it is Dish who was the victim of misfortune and not directly responsible (I don't think I said they were, but I guess I implied that).

But, none of that changes the fact that Dish needs to be able to get their birds in the air if they want me to stick with them.

Back when DirecTV launched their HD channels and everyone here was DISH bitching and complained and whinned and threatened to switch, I defended Dish.

I tried explaining to people that Charlie is smart, watching DirecTV launch, then he'll do it 10 X better. One just needs patients.

But now there is a launch failure, removal of 15 24/7 HD channels, and a truly dumbed down HD pack. That has cracked my faith in Charlie, but I won't underestimate him either.

Charlie needs to pull a big ass magic rabbit out of his hat!

My best friend has always had DirecTV - for years my system kicked his ass - there wasn't even any competition or comparison between DirecTV and Dish. I an clearly see that DirecTV now has more SD channels, more HD channels and a kick ass free VOD service. My DVR and PocketDISH are my only advantage.

It's very clear that DirecTV is currently better than Dish now. So Charlie - please pull out your magic rabbit so my system can kick my friends butt once again.

As mad as I am about loosing my Voom, I'm still supporting Charlie, asking when the next launches are, and waiting and looking to see what he does.

This is NOT a bash Dish thread - but a what are their next moves thread - so I can decide what I wish to spend my money on.

I'm been with Dish for years and years - I know the grass sometimes gets greener on the other side, but the Dish side has always been far greener all these years. I'm not quite jumping boat, but I need to see some magic soon.

Well said.

129 right now does not have spot beams. Everything on 129 goes to the entire country. So, all the local HD channels are going nation wide, this means they can only use the channels/frequencies one time. The new 129 will have spot beams, so the locals only go to the area where they are needed. This means that they will be able to reuse the same channels/frequencies over again in different cities.

By using a set of channels/frequencies (aka transponders or TPs) over and over again they will be able to provide the locals to a ton of new cities without using up all the assigned frequencies. Each DBS slot has 32 TP frequencies. If they reuse 10 of them 14 times lets say, they could cover 140 cities with 10 TPs, leaving 22 for national use. Right now to cover 32 cities from 129 it would take the entire capacity of 129.

Mike123abc, you have just given the clearest explanation of the beauty of using spot beams that I've seen yet. Am I remembering correctly that Charlie's plans for the lost satellite were just so? What a setback and disappointment for Dish and its customers.

fitzie

Mike123abc, you have just given the clearest explanation of the beauty of using spot beams that I've seen yet. Am I remembering correctly that Charlie's plans for the lost satellite were just so? What a setback and disappointment for Dish and its customers.

fitzie

The lost satellite (AMC-14) was going to 61.5. It was a CONUS satellite without spot beam capacity. There is a different satellite already at 61.5, E12 (formerly named rainbow 1, bought by Dish from VOOM). E12 only does certain frequencies (the ones that VOOM had), not the echostar frequencies at 61.5. The Echostar satellite E3 has some broken TPs so it cannot transmit on all of Dish's frequencies. AMC-14 was going to go to 61.5 to take over for E3 and provide more capacity because it could transmit on the 4 frequencies (out of 32) that E3 could not.

There is a big spot beam satellite at 110, E10, that handles most of Dish's standard definition local channels. An older satellite at 110 (E8) has spot ability but it has them turned off since E10 took over. E10 is much more advanced than the older model E8 and has over 4x the capacity for locals.

There is a spot beam satellite at 119, E7. E7 is pretty much the same as E8. It provides locals in standard definition.

Note that some HD comes from E10 and E7 as they were able to fit some of it on spare spot capacity that was not being used for standard definition.

The new satellite for 129, Ciel 2, will provide spot capacity Dish will use for HD local channels. Ciel-2 specs are not really published yet, hopefully more will come out nearer to launch (hopefully something filed with the FCC). It could handle up to 140 spot TPs, but it is unknow now many frequencies it will use out of the 32 for spots. If it were to be able to reuse each frequency 14 times, it would use about 10TPs.

The lost satellite (AMC-14) was going to 61.5. It was a CONUS satellite without spot beam capacity. There is a different satellite already at 61.5, E12 (formerly named rainbow 1, bought by Dish from VOOM). E12 only does certain frequencies (the ones that VOOM had), not the echostar frequencies at 61.5. The Echostar satellite E3 has some broken TPs so it cannot transmit on all of Dish's frequencies. AMC-14 was going to go to 61.5 to take over for E3 and provide more capacity because it could transmit on the 4 frequencies (out of 32) that E3 could not.

There is a big spot beam satellite at 110, E10, that handles most of Dish's standard definition local channels. An older satellite at 110 (E8) has spot ability but it has them turned off since E10 took over. E10 is much more advanced than the older model E8 and has over 4x the capacity for locals.

There is a spot beam satellite at 119, E7. E7 is pretty much the same as E8. It provides locals in standard definition.

Note that some HD comes from E10 and E7 as they were able to fit some of it on spare spot capacity that was not being used for standard definition.

The new satellite for 129, Ciel 2, will provide spot capacity Dish will use for HD local channels. Ciel-2 specs are not really published yet, hopefully more will come out nearer to launch (hopefully something filed with the FCC). It could handle up to 140 spot TPs, but it is unknow now many frequencies it will use out of the 32 for spots. If it were to be able to reuse each frequency 14 times, it would use about 10TPs.

There has been some information provided on the Ciel-2 satellite in press releases that gives a pretty clear understanding of its capabilities. There was one press release that stated it would have about a 9 times reuse factor on spotbeams i.e., the number of times a specific TP frequency is used over multiple spotbeams. Another recent press release stated that it will provide 145 spotbeam TPs to the U.S. Now Dish is guaranteed use of at least 16 TPs on Ciel-2 so the math is pretty easy, 9 times 16 equals 144 so the 145 number confirms the math.

So what about the other 16 TPs at 129 W and national HD channels. Dish may get use of up to 15 of these TPs since one is reserved for the Canadian government while use of the other 15 is dependent on other commerical Canadian demand. In regards to national HD channels, Dish may not us all the spotbeam capability immediately so some of those TPs could be used for national HD programming. One thing that does need to be recognized is the power limitations on the Ciel-2 satellite. The reported power capability of the Ciel-2 satellite (which is about the same as the E-10 satellite) would only allow for just a couple of national TPs to be active with the full use of the reported spotbeam capability. So if Dish gets use of a large number of TPs above the 16, then another satellite needs to be placed there since the life of the E-5 satellite is ending very soon. My guess is that the E-8 satellite will be moved to 129 W after the E-11 satellite is launched to 110 W in July. National HD programming for the western part of the U.S. could also be placed at 148 W and a D1000 dish could be used between 129 and 148. Otherwise Dish will need to do something drastic at 110 W and 119 W to open up room for national HD channels in the Western Arc.

My guess is that the E-8 satellite will be moved to 129 W after the E-11 satellite is launched to 110 W in July. National HD programming for the western part of the U.S. could also be placed at 148 W and a D1000 dish could be used between 129 and 148. Otherwise Dish will need to do something drastic at 110 W and 119 W to open up room for national HD channels in the Western Arc.

A lot of us do not have views of 148. Or 61.5/72.7. :eek:

DirecTV is currently capable of 150 national HD channels (even in Hawaii).

With these new DISH Satellites, how many national HD channels would DISH be capable of offering?

With a company not concerned about true HD like dish by dropping VOOM HD and replacing them with up converted crap like the weather channel I see no reason to bow down to them. If they do not bring back Voom HD we are going to directv and the money we save we can build a ture HD blu ray collection and watch what we want without commercials!

Ceil2 or 129 HD

Whatever satellite replaces the 129, it better have a wider footprint and no flat tires like the current piece of junk or it won't do some of us any good. Checked tp 6 last night and had a signal of 10.

I had SD service (110,119) for about 7 years without a service call, then the "upgrade" to HD :( ...back to Directv!

My outlook with Dish is this, If I dont see foward progress in the next 3 months, I'm gone, period.

It was bad enough losing my Voom channels, but with the crap channels they replaced them with and failed satellites it starts to add up.

In the past Directv was the company with all the empty promises while Dish silently went about giving there customers a better service. Well the sides seem to be turning, and I'm waivering on who I want my provider to be.

I want to stay loyal to Dish, but they need to show me some progress.

C'mon Dish, do what you've done for so many years.

My outlook with Dish is this, If I dont see foward progress in the next 3 months, I'm gone, period.

It was bad enough losing my Voom channels, but with the crap channels they replaced them with and failed satellites it starts to add up.

In the past Directv was the company with all the empty promises while Dish silently went about giving there customers a better service. Well the sides seem to be turning, and I'm waivering on who I want my provider to be.

I want to stay loyal to Dish, but they need to show me some progress.

C'mon Dish, do what you've done for so many years.

Same here...

By the way, DirecTV did buy out Replay TV. They are also talking to TiVo again and new TiVo Recievers may be in the making too. DirecTV has not been sitting idol with regard to DVRs.

It's safe to assume that DirecTV is planning on releasing newly designed DVRs in the future. Even the DVR edge DISH has now is limited.

Last edited:
Dish is making progress. Some people just don't want to see it. We have more HD channels today than a month ago.

Dish is making progress. Some people just don't want to see it. We have more HD channels today than a month ago.

That was a very high price to pay to increase their HD channels by 7.

One year of waiting for 7 crappy channels.

I guess I should wait another year for a satellite launch and for them to add 15 more.

It's a good time to switch to DirecTV. When the 1 1/2 year agreement ends, maybe Charlie and his wannabe HD Dish Leaders with actually be a HD leaders.

They lost me as a customer and as a supporter - Their moves with Voom Pissed me off, but almost no service in Hawaii closed the deal.

I think most people would not view Sci-Fi HD as a crappy channel, and that's a recent addition even if it wasn't in the very latest batch.

Certainly true. But the prospect of more HD programming that appeals to more people, with less repetition.

Certainly true. But the prospect of more HD programming that appeals to more people, with less repetition.

I'm I the only one sick and tired of PROMISES?

It's not a D* or E* or Cable thing, they all make promises that take years to deliver. In the meantime, we are supposed to "stay put" and wait for those promises, sometimes missing out. DirecTV was promising 100 HD channels for years and years, way before they launched their birds. If I waited, I would have missed out on 2 years of the best HD w/ Voom.

Networks are just as bad. How many years did we have A&E before they produced and aired something in HD - 1 or 2 years i believe.

That's one thing I liked about Charlie - He would just turn features and channels ON without years of hype. (Not sure if he is going to keep that going though since we now have till the end of the year to hear about the NEW DISH 100 HD Channels Coming Soon!)

Its about quality not quantity! They market a lot of BS like right now they say they are the leaders in HD and have added 22 new channels? Reality the dropped 15 of the best HD channels on the market, namely Voom HD. What did they replace? well 7 new channels with real winners like the cartoon network and the weather channel. The others are already in SD and not very good channels plus most of the entire 22 are up converted weak and nowhere near VOOM HD quality!

They can add more and more crap and without quality like VOOM HD channels there is no reason to stay with dish as Directv is better and cheaper! Right now Directv has 90 HD and dish 80 at a lot more. I checked my price and I would save over 40% with directv! Why give money to a company that treats is HD customers like crap by dropping VOOM HD and cleary not asking us! We HD VOOM users pay the most per month and what they shape their weak programming around people whom spent 29-39 bucks a month? I pay about $130 a month!

Drop dish!

Its about quality not quantity! They market a lot of BS like right now they say they are the leaders in HD and have added 22 new channels? Reality the dropped 15 of the best HD channels on the market, namely Voom HD. What did they replace? well 7 new channels with real winners like the cartoon network and the weather channel. The others are already in SD and not very good channels plus most of the entire 22 are up converted weak and nowhere near VOOM HD quality!

They can add more and more crap and without quality like VOOM HD channels there is no reason to stay with dish as Directv is better and cheaper! Right now Directv has 90 HD and dish 80 at a lot more. I checked my price and I would save over 40% with directv! Why give money to a company that treats is HD customers like crap by dropping VOOM HD and cleary not asking us! We HD VOOM users pay the most per month and what they shape their weak programming around people whom spent 29-39 bucks a month? I pay about $130 a month!

Drop dish!
Tell us exactly what you would getting and exactly what you would pay, credits divulged. Your Drop Dish "mania" gives me cause to be highly cynical. I really don't think you even know.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)