New Service Committment for Used Receiver?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirectMan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
I am going to add a used D10 receiver to my subscription. Will D* require me to add 1 year to my service committment or is that only for new equipment that you buy from D* or a D* dealer?

if it is a used ird that someone gave you or you got used, no new 1 year agreement. just kinda curious, where is the clean access card coming from?

dragon002 said:
if it is a used ird that someone gave you or you got used, no new 1 year agreement. just kinda curious, where is the clean access card coming from?
The new receiver is actually a replacement so I will transfer my existing card from the receiver that died on me.

DirectMan said:
The new receiver is actually a replacement so I will transfer my existing card from the receiver that died on me.

They may not do that. When I changed out a receiver they made me get a new card. It was sent to me over night, from D*. Sometimes they give you the card and sometimes they charge you for it.

Most of the time Direct will make you buy a NEW card no matter what. I believe the charge is 20.00

You will not have to sign a contract if you are replacing a receiver with a used one.

I bought two used receivers on ebay for my kids rooms a while ago.. D* charged me 20.00 each for the new cards. They did overnight them so I guess its not that bad. Pays for the shipping. Also, no additional commitments or contracts.

If you are replacing an existing receiver with a D10 they sent you without a card they will remarry the old card to the receiver. If you bought the D10 elsewhere you will need to get a new card.:)

If I have to pay $20 for a new card from D* I might just buy a new receiver from a dealer (maybe a D11) with the card included and take on another 1 year committment. I have 4 months remaining on my existing contract - does the additional year committment begin now or at the end of the existing contract? :confused:

New Card Never

I have replaced many bad receivers of customers with other used IRd's and Dtv has never charged for a card ever. When you call tell them you are a tech and have a bad receiver. Then say you want to marry the old card to the new used ird and bingo they will do it. They usually will not do it for joe customer because they are greedy and want every penny they can get from the customer.

dodge said:
I have replaced many bad receivers of customers with other used IRd's and Dtv has never charged for a card ever. When you call tell them you are a tech and have a bad receiver. Then say you want to marry the old card to the new used ird and bingo they will do it. They usually will not do it for joe customer because they are greedy and want every penny they can get from the customer.

But directv will ask for the tech ID #

It all depends on the person you talk to, they will try to lie to you to get you to buy a new card but it is not necessary not matter WHAT they say...if you get someone that is unwilling to do it ( they will say something like ...im sorry sir we marry each card to a reciever and it can never be changed ) just hang up and call back I have done this to many of my revcievers (even cards from other peoples accounts) and they have allowed me to do it

When I bought a used Hughes HTL-HD off of eBay, the CSR would not activate the card that came with the unit, but I had an old Sony unit that was still active, so the CSR said to use that card in the Hughes. The Hughes was up and running in just a few minutes.

Maybe it depends on how long you've been a customer and if you are under any kind of commitment? I've been a customer for about 10 years (give or take), and I'm not under any commitment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts