New service/installation help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jmhill

Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
heflin, al
I've been a Dish AEP subscriber for about 10 years, just now going HD and have decided to switch to Direct. I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help with:

(1) I had a Dish 500 mounted on what I believe is 1-5/8" diameter pole-- will they be able to use that for my install-- does it need any modification to work? In case it's relevant my order details are as below:

2 DIRECTV Plus HD DVR
1 DIRECTV Plus DVR
1 DIRECTV 5-LNB Multi-satellite dish
1 Internet connection kit

(2) I had 3 lines of coax servicing 3 Dish receivers-- will the new setup require any additional lines?

(3) I forgot to ask this when I placed my order but the Direct website indicates that in addition to Atlanta locals that I qualify for a couple of Birmingham "neighboring local channels" (significantly viewed channels)-- this is one of my main reasons for changing service, we lost B'ham when we moved 10 miles east-- anyway, my question is will these automatically show-up or do I need to order/request them?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys may offer.

To answer your questions...

1) The newer dishes use a 2" pole; however, I've seen them installed on the 1 5/8"

2) More than likely (assuming availability) you will receive a 6x8 multiswitch to handle the 6 tuners your 3 dvrs will have. You will need at least 1 more line ran into the house in order to run the system, possibly another line to each outlet

Side note: DirecTV does have SWM technology available, allowing a single line to run both tuners on a receiver. The current SWM dishes can only handle 5 tuners at once, 1 short for your needs. There is a SWM8 that is purchased separately that runs the tuners from a central splitter, costing about 199 from Weaknees. If you hurry, you can purchase this and have it ready for the installer. Provided you have a single good line to where the DVRs will be located, he/she will love you.

3) I'm a pessimist and believe you will need to call customer service after the install to request them. Another local person will better be able to advise you on this.

re: SWM8

Sorry for my ignorance but if I get the SWM8 as you suggest would this avoid having to run more than the existing 3 coax feeds from the dish (which have been run to the preexisting CATV box) AND/OR would it avoid having to run additional coax inside to the receivers? Also, I think I saw that you can purchase the SWM8 with or without a power supply-- I assume I need that also, correct? Thanks.

You will have to have four cables from the dish to the SWM-8. Then only one cable from the SWM-8 to each receiver. Being DVR's count as two, you will have five tuners run off of three cables. You will need the power inserter, the PI-28

Umm the SwmLNB can handle 8 Tuners, he needs 6 so he would be fine in that respect, You would need to contact the install company and see if they are using SWMLNB's in your area though, else acquire a SWM5 LNB/8 port SWM Lnb and a 21v Power inserter. That system will allow you to use your existing cables without additional runs and 1 line from the dish, providing your lines are diplexed outside and not behind the dual tuner box.

I called Direct to get the name of my local installer who's scheduled to do the work thinking it would be a good idea to find out more about what equipment they'd be putting in-- they told me it would be Mastec but couldn't provide a phone contact. I haven't been able to find a number for an area Mastec office, anybody have a suggestion as to how I can chase this down? Just wanting to make sure everything goes smoothly...

Its top secret it seems who installers are and how to contact them before they set foot on your property ready to set up your equipment. Once there however they are more than happy to answer your questions and tell you what you need..........and even sell you the item, that you had a chance to get at 1/2 that price if you only could have found out the info earlier on. I paid right at $200 (so called custom mount)for a 7 foot x 2" pole stuck in a hole 2 feet deep and a bag of quick settting concrete mix, no trenching required... when I had HUGHESNET install my SAT Internet system. Oh well, installers have kids to buy diapers for and have to eat too I guess.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts