New service

Everything got installed yesterday....tech had issues with wj/wap, but after updating H3 to u508, all came online....not sure if that was a coincidence as he also powered everything down after the update.

The wj's had black screens on live tv, but a reboot of the H3 and everything has been good to go...

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeD-C05
Everything got installed yesterday....tech had issues with wj/wap, but after updating H3 to u508, all came online....not sure if that was a coincidence as he also powered everything down after the update.

The wj's had black screens on live tv, but a reboot of the H3 and everything has been good to go...
A lot of techs are rushing their installs. The Hopper HAS to be updated before plugging Joeys, WAPS, etc in, but a lot of guys are plugging everything in at the same time, which can cause the issues you mentioned. The Black Screen Joey thing is common, too, and I presume it's just the Hopper setting up tuners, etc. Normally when this happens, the whole home screen will shows some tuners downloading guide. A reboot doesn't always work, so glad it did, but by next day, after the 1st overnight update, that issue should be gone.

Heck, remember to wait a few days before expecting things to work normally. Not sure why it takes the Hopper so long to stabilize. I wondered why the tech who did my install waited to setup the Joeys. Now I understand.

Heck, remember to wait a few days before expecting things to work normally. Not sure why it takes the Hopper so long to stabilize. I wondered why the tech who did my install waited to setup the Joeys. Now I understand.
The Hopper, out of the box, needs several updates to get it humming properly. Those updates happen over the first 48 to 72 hours. Think of it like a Windows update, you can't get to the final update until you load the prior updates that are not on the machine to start with. If there are 5 updates between you and the final, you have to do each update one at a time....

The Hopper, out of the box, needs several updates to get it humming properly. Those updates happen over the first 48 to 72 hours. Think of it like a Windows update, you can't get to the final update until you load the prior updates that are not on the machine to start with. If there are 5 updates between you and the final, you have to do each update one at a time....

Sure, but I am unsure as to why it needs to chain the updates. Why not just have a single, rolled-up update that includes everything for new installs? It might take a tad longer initially, but, you know, it would provide a better user experience once it was done. Or, if Dish wanted to minimize tech time, do the first update during install, and then have the rest rolled-up the first night.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Sure, but I am unsure as to why it needs to chain the updates. Why not just have a single, rolled-up update that includes everything for new installs? It might take a tad longer initially, but, you know, it would provide a better user experience once it was done. Or, if Dish wanted to minimize tech time, do the first update during install, and then have the rest rolled-up the first night.
WOW, that is a lot to update. If done all at once, might fry the processor! :eeek

I hate to correct my friend Bobby but when a new Hopper 3 is installed properly it gets the latest firmware update all at once. It then needs a guide update so it can record things and set timers. The rich media files that contain all the pretty icons and graphics usually come down a little later. I just installed a Hopper 3 and 3 Joeys this morning and I had it on the latest software and everything working except the rich media files before I left the customer's house. :)

I hate to correct my friend Bobby but when a new Hopper 3 is installed properly it gets the latest firmware update all at once. It then needs a guide update so it can record things and set timers. The rich media files that contain all the pretty icons and graphics usually come down a little later. I just installed a Hopper 3 and 3 Joeys this morning and I had it on the latest software and everything working except the rich media files before I left the customer's house. :)
But could you plug an EHD in and it instantly saw it? Something else is going on in the background to make us wait 3 days.... And yes, we're still friends.... :D

But could you plug an EHD in and it instantly saw it? Something else is going on in the background to make us wait 3 days.... And yes, we're still friends.... :D
When I had my two H3s installed, one of them the EHD worked immediately. The other one started working about three hours later.

Reactions: JSheridan

Yes, Even though the customer today didn't have an EHD I've often plugged them in right away and they usually work. Like Charles said sometimes there's a minor delay.

No doubt the Hoppers are finicky but if handled properly and if the downloads and activations are done in the proper order they usually work right pretty quickly.

This isn't the way it's always been. In the past they sometimes needed an overnight before the search and some other features would work but lately they've been doing much better. :)

The biggest issue some techs are having is the Hopper not having or losing Joey software. I've not had this but Dish says the procedure is to update to the newest software, I do that before I activate by putting it in standby mode, then when it's done, it'll go back to standby mode. Leave it there for 15 minutes for Joey Software to upgrade, which seems weird to me, then power up and activate, plug in Joeys. FWIW, I always plug mine in after the update, while it's Programming Memory and never had a problem

Reactions: charlesrshell
Even though some claim that a Hopper3 takes several days to work properly, I did not see this when I upgraded my 2 Hopper with Sling receivers to 2 Hopper3 receivers. It immediately recognized my 3 external hard drives. My timer settings were able to transfer from my old 40 remote.

Like JSheridan mentioned what takes a day or two is to get the pretty icons and to get the VOD content.

Even though some claim that a Hopper3 takes several days to work properly, I did not see this when I upgraded my 2 Hopper with Sling receivers to 2 Hopper3 receivers. It immediately recognized my 3 external hard drives. My timer settings were able to transfer from my old 40 remote.

Like JSheridan mentioned what takes a day or two is to get the pretty icons and to get the VOD content.
You were an exception from the norm. Were you able to immediately transfer remote settings backup?

You were an exception from the norm. Were you able to immediately transfer remote settings backup?

Yes. The last several H3 upgrades I've done transferred the remote settings immediately after activation. They've also transferred recordings over ethernet immediately too. The old 'wait a day or 2 or 3 days' thing seems to be pretty much a thing of the past. :)

I like holding on to my old obsolete advice. Gives me stability in my life. :p

Anyway, would you rather give someone an expectation to wait a while, rather than them plugging in an EHD "too soon" and panic that they lost all their recordings, or worse, follow the instructions to reformat the hard drive when they didn't have to? :)

Also, who's to say another software update won't bring back the "wait" problem.

Reactions: littlecloud319
Everything seems to be working fine...adding a ota usb adapter tomorrow.....have a tivo on antenna, but would like to get ota to the joey's.

side note: got my complimentary Mrs Fields cookie tin today.

Reactions: ncted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts