New shutdown notice, the 'Voom' screen:

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Here is a screen grab:

shutdownnotice.jpg

Shawn

Just a quick questions about, "You will not be billed beyond April 30th." According to my billing cycle, I am paid through to the 17th. Since I am under a 6-month contract through May, will I receive a prorated bill for service from April 17th to April 30th? Technically, I supposed that I own them the money but it seems like it would be cheese dicky to send me such a bill...especially when the only time I have to meet with the Cable Guy is the 15th. I'm staying 'till the end, but I certainly don't feel like paying twice for Cable Favorites and the Premium movies channels.

I wonder how they intend on gettign back all the leased equipment?Anyone have a clue.Also if i were an employee of voom and i knew my job was over at end of the month i think i would walk out now and start looking for a new job.Just think all the people who had no clue whats been going on seeing this new screen message and them calling up voom like crasy asking tons of questions.I feel so bad for them but now its revenge time for them to walk out and say to hell with james and let him asnswer the damn phones...

John Kotches said:
Then discontinue your Voom service as of April 17th so there's minimal overlap in service.
I'm under a 6 month committment due to adding receivers in December and don't wish to incur at $250 service cancellation fee. Just called VOOM...they would not let me downgrade to VOOM, but they will NOT bill me for service beyond the 16th.

richard_rd said:
Unfortunately that will be the last step!!!! :( :( :(

That may not be the last step. Please keep in mind that Voom will stop providing service to existing customers on April 30th. This does not say Voom HD LLC or have you heard of Moov HD or another company yet to be named will pick up the ball? I would encourage everyone to give this until the end of the month before committing to another provider.

Remember too that Cablevision still owns the satellite until the sale is approved and the programming is still being beamed down. Idle hardware costs money to park and maintain. Better to use it for revenue producing until the end. Too many variables in the game to throw the towel in and walk away. :cool:

If that's the case Indy, they better hurry the hell up and ANNOUNCE something BEFORE the 30th of April, because it's ridiculous to keep people guessing like this if they do have anything remotely concrete in the works.

Hate to say it but that seems like 'grasping-at-straws' talk to me. People can't just hang out waiting for deus machina to drop from the sky and provide them with pay-t.v., you have to sign up, get installed, etc. and that means committing/planning IN ADVANCE.

I wanted Voom to succeed as a sat company as much as the next guy, but now they're at most a content company/channel suite ala HBO or USA Networks, to be picked up by other carriers...they've said so themselves in the official statements.

i wish you were right indy but it doesn't make sense with everything they have done

I will be with voom until the end for the simple reason, there is no other service today that compares

i have to agree with that last statement...
I just wish they can work a deal with other sat companies...
I also wish i had the money to buy the voom company.
And also i would like to buy back the sat

jeslevine said:
i wish you were right indy but it doesn't make sense with everything they have done

I will be with voom until the end for the simple reason, there is no other service today that compares

Wishful thinking on my part perhaps. But... for all the ups and downs we have gone through I won't accept the end until the screen goes dark and the STB freezes up. Only then will I accept defeat and cry in my beer. :)

Indy said:
Wishful thinking on my part perhaps. But... for all the ups and downs we have gone through I won't accept the end until the screen goes dark and the STB freezes up. Only then will I accept defeat and cry in my beer. :)
Hope for the best, but plan for the worst. Have plenty of beer available.

I've heard the news yesterday evening and it just plain bums me out. What happens with the 1 or 2 possibly viable VOOM exclusive HD channels that could draw enough people to possibly be viable, like WorldSport, Equator, & HDNews? I watched those 3 for about 95% of the total time I watched any of the other VOOM channels. Some were just never remotely economically viable, but simply experimental. Perhaps all of them. Is there a snowball's chance in H-E-double hockey sticks that WorldSport coverage of Spanish Soccer & La Liga could get picked up by someone else in North America? Frankly, it was the only HD coverage of Spanish soccer anywhere in the world. No European carriers offered HD coverage of games, and no north American providers offered soccer in Europe in HD. I would personally be willing to drop all of VOOM in a heartbeat, IF I could get my locals in high-def and WorldSport soccer every year in HD. It's sad, but that's my opinion. I just doubt it's going to happen anytime soon. :(

mdonnelly said:
Hope for the best, but plan for the worst. Have plenty of beer available.

I will be in my condo down in Florida during the shut down. So I will not know what happened until I return on the 8th of May. No Internet or satellite in the condo. Man! This will be a tough week on the beach waiting to get back to Indy and see what's up here on the forum and the Voom STB. :no

So, when is the final countdown????

I'm planning on staying up late Friday April 29th until midnight of Saturday, April 30th, central time. Will they immediately cease transmission at midnight, April 30th? If so, will it be midnight eastern time? Also, it would be nice to see Chuck Dolan live on HDNews thanking all of us subscribers for our support as well as all of those who will be unfortunately losing their jobs for their hard work in helping to make Voom the best satellite television broadcaster in the US. I imagine that he would never do this as this would be a major embarassment on his part for creating something great and then showing that it failed to gain support and therefore has to be shutdown.

We Voom Supporters are best in World

Voom is the greatest thing to happen to Television since Color Tv. But what is more impressive is us 22,000 subscribers that despite the horrible way that Cablevsion tortured us for the last four months, still put up with all the rollercoaster yes, no in business out of business, dvr out, not out, 70 hd channels , 300 sd channels, satellite sold echostar. This is the most unprofessional bunch of a**holes except for Chuck Dolan who tried. Cablevision has lost lot of creditibility.. THIS IS NOT NOT THE WAY TO TREAT CUSTOMERS. WE ARE THE BESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST!

riffjim4069 said:
Gee. I wonder how many VOOMere have been going about their busy lives---impervious to the ongoing Corporate drama---and are just now seeing this message pop-up on their screens. :shocked

Problem with that is, most people don't read that screen anyway. I know I don't. I just hit the buttons to get the channel listing and pay no attention whatsoever to the message screen. The real question is how many people will be completely surprised May 1 to realize they have no service and start trying to call tech support to find no one there either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts