New Side-by-Side PIP in 721 s/w L324

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
I just now let my 721 upgrade to the new s/w version L324, and it has the new side-by-side PIP mode.

A big help, as it is the only PIP mode that allows all of both images to be viewed (other PIP modes involve part of the big image being blocked by the small image).

The left image has the audio, and the swap button switches the two images, and thereby switches the audio. Perfect !

:up :up

yeah, "side by side" PIP is nice perk...
BUT, it's not worth losing my 9 day guide !!!
Three times (in a row now) over-night since L324
my 721 only has a 3-day guide the next day.
Only after "smart card pull" reboots and then holding my breath and doing voodoo does my 9 day guide come back.
ONLY to disappear overnight!
E* ADD a MENU FEATURE BUTTON "GUIDE UPDATE"!!!
ALL receivers should have a manual way to update the guide

I have two 721's and after the software update they needed a "check switch" and a front panel re-boot to get them working again. I also had to wait for the overnight program guide update to get my locals listed again in the guide. But after all is said and done, I do like the side-by-side PIP and look forward to the feature on my 622 (sans the re-booting)...

After a satellite receiver has installed a new firmware update and has returned to displaying a channel, I always then unplug the AC for 30 seconds, and then plug it back in.
A DVR is really a PC, so entirely clearing all memory, and removing all voltage from all the ICs is a good practice - especially after a software upgrade.
A check switch is probably a good idea as well, whenever you are having any EPG/Guide problems.

PS Currently have 9 days of EPG, I'll check again after tonights' EPG update.

Last edited:
yeah, "side by side" PIP is nice perk...
BUT, it's not worth losing my 9 day guide !!!
Three times (in a row now) over-night since L324
my 721 only has a 3-day guide the next day.
Only after "smart card pull" reboots and then holding my breath and doing voodoo does my 9 day guide come back.
ONLY to disappear overnight!
E* ADD a MENU FEATURE BUTTON "GUIDE UPDATE"!!!
ALL receivers should have a manual way to update the guide

I agree with you, they need this!

Check switch should update the guide. Since there is a menu button to do a check switch, then your requested feature already exists. :)

PS Do not reboot by pulling out your smart card ! The card reader is not designed for frequent use and people have worn it out by doing smart card pull reboots. Either do a front-panel-power-button reboot, or just unplug the receiver for 10-30 seconds instead.

Check switch should update the guide. Since there is a menu button to do a check switch, then your requested feature already exists. :)

PS Do not reboot by pulling out your smart card ! The card reader is not designed for frequent use and people have worn it out by doing smart card pull reboots. Either do a front-panel-power-button reboot, or just unplug the receiver for 10-30 seconds instead.

I did a "switch check" and it did nothing for the guide update.

As far as the "smart card pull" ,
I agree that is not "the proper way" to reboot.
(even though E* tech support has had me do this before in the past.

The reason I did it was, three different front panel reboots did not work.
Today I did finally have to pull the AC power, which I would have done sooner ,
BUT it is difficult to reach my UPS plug behind everything.

With all that said, we are not talking about some surge/spike event but rather a planned software update.
Never have I had to Pull AC power from my home PC to reset it after a software change from Microsoft or any other software update.
A properly written software update should NEVER need "more" then a soft reboot.
And "most" well written code shouldn't even require that.

From now on, I will consider, E* software updates an attack on my receiver
and treat it as I would a lightning strike :)

I got a little tired by my 721 "bugs" and reboots. It came down to about 3-4 reboots a week. Finally gave in an upgraded to the 622, although I miss the "grandfather clause" DVR fee.

UPDATE ... the DARN THING did it in the middle of the day while it was recording.
It lost 9day guide... updated itself to a 3day guide.
So now I'm puzzled. What to do.

New Update
Now guide updated again on it's own and it's fine.

Maybe E* is messing with the guide data stream or L324 is just screwy.

Time will Tell I guess.

Last edited:
A properly written software update should NEVER need "more" then a soft reboot.
Not only is that true, but all our devices ought not to need any personal attention. PCs are absurdly complicated for 2007. In contrast, try a 1999 Palm Pilot - it's a computer, yet you just turn it on and it's immediately ready for use. All you ever have to do is charge it (and someone has recently developed a way to charge batteries wirelessly, so soon you won't even have to do that). Every other device should be as simple and intuitive.

My pip window is poping up without hitting the button, it has happened 3 or 4 times, I think it happens when 2 things are recording & I finish watching something off the DVR, the pop-up window gives you a choice to watch tuner 1 or tuner 2 & soon as you choose the PIP window is up

I have to do a little more testing to see if re-create the PIP pop up again

On a side note

I miss the DVR list popping up if you finished watching something off the DVR when both tuners were recording.

Well, I just checked my 721. It still has the 9 day EPG. I just don't understand why some of us have certain problems that should afflict all, but don't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)