New software killed my 622's

successfully added WYES OTA (PBS) Channel 12 Did a Check switch and forced a guide DL.

Ch 12 works fine with guide data.

On to the next one

Be back in a few minutes.

OK just tried to add UHF 15... which is WNOL ch 38 and ABC 26.

Did them both at the same time. It caused the Acquiring Sat signal" loop

Doing a factory reset..... will re add ch 12 and then try 38 and 26 one at a time.....

Added Ch 12 WYES (PBS) and Ch 8 WVUE (FOX)

We have both with guide data working fine

It appears that either Ch 26 or 38 may be causing the problem.

Continuing to add the rest.... CBS, NBC and WUPL

Be right back.

We now have Channel 4 WWL (CBS), Ch 8 WVUE (FOX) and Ch 12 WYES (PBS) on and working with guide data.

Channel 8 seems to be having a problem but it's not causing the Acquiring signal loop.

OK

Ch 12.1 PBS OK

Ch 8.1 & 8.2 Fox OK

Ch 6.1 & 6.2 NBC OK

Ch 4.1 CBS OK

Ch 54.1 My networks OK

Ch 32.1, 32.2, 32.3 PBS OK

Gonna try 38.1 and 26.1 now (one at a time) We'll see which one it is thats screwing it up.

Be right back.

OK folks... added 38.1 and it works fine with proper guide data. It appears that ABC 26.1 is the culprit in the New Orleans DMA.

I'm gonna go ahead and try adding it just to make sure.....

See you in a minute.

I live in terrytown & had tech out last wed as 622 was in aquire loop. He upgraded to 722, same prob, Another tech out today & he replaced dish, cable in, called dish tech support and he was told they had no idea & were unaware of any fixes. Then I come to this site and find that many here are aware. Yes not scanning the locals cure the aquire loop but defeats one of the main attributes. Also how do you force the guide to reload?

ABC26 WGNO 26.1 IS THE PROBLEM HERE IN NEW ORLEANS. Adding 26.1 Put it back into acquiring signal loop as suspected.

I just did a channel scan on my other 622 and then deleted 26.1 from the list before saving. Works fine with the 17 digital channels I can receive out of New Orleans.

So my suggestion would be to either do a channel scan

Click Menu - 6 - 9

Click "SCANLOCALS"

but make sure you delete channel 26.1 from the list of found channels before you hit "done"

Or Manually add the channels you want.

Click Menu - 6 - 9

Click "ADD LOCALS"

For WNOL 38.1 (CW) enter 15 for frequency- when it is found and locked click done

This will add WNOL 38.1 and WGNO 26.1.. highlight 26.1 from the list on the left click delete. then continue to add the remaining channels

Click ADD LOCALS

WYES 12.1 (pbs) enter 11 for frequency - when it is found and locked click done

Click ADD LOCALS

WUPL 54.1 (My NET TV) enter 24 for frequency- when it is found and locked click done

Click ADD LOCALS

WVUE 8.1 (FOX) enter 29 in frequency- when it is found and locked click done

Click ADD LOCALS

WLAE 32.1 (PBS) enter 31 for Frequency- when it is found and locked click done

Click ADD LOCALS

WWL 4.1 (CBS) enter 36 for frequency- when it is found and locked click done

Click ADD LOCALS

WDSU 6.1 (NBC) enter 43 for frequency- when it is found and locked click done

etc. When you've got the ones you want click "DONE" on the right

Then cancel out of all menus.

Hit MENU - 6 - 1 - 1 then select "Check switch" Then "TEST"

It will cycle through 1 of 4 tests when finished select "DONE"

Cancel out of all menus.

It will go into "acquiring Satellite signal"

It "should" do test 1-5 then download guide data.

Junkie:
Do you get program info on local channels?? I have done what you have shown the way & it works for me, but I do not get what is playing on the locals. Thanks for youre post as the info is paramont.

You have to subscribe to locals to get guide data. And you have to DL guide data after adding OTA channels.

you can force a Guide data Down Load by either doing a hard reboot. (unplug receiver for 30 seconds)

Or by doing a check switch.

There may be other methods to force a DL but a check switch will do it for sure.

In the New Orleans DMA WGNO ABC 26 (26.1 - UHF channel 15) is the only channel that is not currently on it's designated frequency. It is Piggybacking on CH 15 with sister station WNOL 38.1 and won't be on its own Trans/frequency (UHF 26 I believe) until Feb 2009. That may be why it is causing the E* receivers to flake out.

Dish receivers assign guide data from tables that assign the guide data to the broadcast fequency of the channel. In the case of WGNO 26.1 the tables are telling the receivers that it should be UHF 26. It is currently UHF 15 so it gets confused and screws something up.

Before L511 the receivers just assigned the guide data of 38.1 to 26.1 since it was on UHF 15

L511 isn't allowing that to happen for some reason.

This may be the case with some stations in other DMA's.... Or it may be something else entirely that is causing 26.1 to crash our 622 and 722's.

For people In DMA's other than New Orleans that are having the same "Acquiring signal" loop problem, I suggest doing a factory default reset and adding OTA channels back in manually, one at a time, to determine which (if any) OTA channels are causing the problem.

and now, the punchline

Well, my appointment with my local DISH tech just ended.

While he was here, I went through the process of adding ALL the local OTA channels, and resetting, to prove that it was hanging...

And now everything works perfectly. It does not hang and I am now getting all the OTA channels, including 38.1, with no problems. My face was red.

So, NOHDjunkie, try it again and see if your result is successful now.

(P.S. the guide info for 26.1 is incorrect - it contains the channel info for 38.0 instead of 26.0. I suppose this is due to the "piggybacking" you referred to earlier.)

While he was here, I went through the process of adding ALL the local OTA channels, and resetting, to prove that it was hanging...

And now everything works perfectly. It does not hang and I am now getting all the OTA channels, including 38.1, with no problems. My face was red.

(P.S. the guide info for 26.1 is incorrect - it contains the channel info for 38.0 instead of 26.0. I suppose this is due to the "piggybacking" you referred to earlier.)

Do a hard reboot with 26.1 in there and see what happens. Or just wait till tomorrow morning. I bet it'll be stuck in the loop again.

Or maybe whatever was causing 26.1 to do it was fixed. I don't need 26.1 anyway. It's useless to me with the wrong guide data anyway, so I won't be adding it back till its on it's own freq in feb 09.

All you had to do was run the check switch test on both units and you would have been fine. This is typical after such a major software update as this one.

cajunbearcub,

Did it make it through the overnight Reboot and download with 26.1 in the mix?

NOHDjunkie,

Yes, it did make it through the overnight reboot and download with 26.1 in the mix. It was successful Sunday night and Monday night. So far, so good.

Even so, I may remove 26.1 because until "Lost" is back in six months, I won't be watching that channel.

Cajunbearcub

+1

Software upgrade ctreated all kinds of headaches mid June when updated:

1) deleted all save DVR shows
2) Corrupted favorites list (some added/some deleted)
3) corrupted timers (some set to "new" started record "all" instances
4) When creating new times, channel would start recording immediately until either conflicting timer or intended show was done

Just swapped out to new 622, now getting stuck in perpetual reboot/acquiring satalite loop.

Sounds like time to ask for a 722

722's have more problems with L511 than 622's.

Fortunately my 622 seems to be tolerating it rather well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)