New Software upgrade for 811

After 2 evenings of putting my 811 through its paces w/ 264, I have concluded that the only thing 264 fixed is the EPG and EPG Pic. The EPG now goes out many many hours (days?). The EPG Pic always appears promptly when I hit Guide. The EPG scrolls quicker and channel selection is quicker after I select a channel. This speed improvement is most apparent w/ the OTA channels.

The EPG problems they didn't fix are the lock-up when Guide is pressed after being on an OTA channel for an extended period of time and the inability to use RECALL when on a mapped OTA channel. For the former, before it gave an Acquiring Satellite message that would sometimes disappear on its own after a minute or so, but ofter required a reboot of the 811. Now it shows a testing sequence, which sometimes locks up and requires an reboot of the 811. The RECALL non-function is just that. These particular problems are the source of much verbal abuse heaped on me by my wife, as the 811 "was your idea" and "why did you buy such crap". Please E* fix these soon.

As to the 49% problem, I tend to agree with those who believe this is a hardware issue with the 811 that isn't going to get any better. Therefore, I'm focusing on improving my OTA antenna setup.

The loss of CBSHD doesn't have any thing to do w/ 811 software issues, IMHO.

I also believe the channel mapping issue is related to the signals sent by the local OTA DTV stations and won't be fixed by 811 software upgrades.

All the other legitimate 811 problems still remain after 264. Thus, 264 wasn't even "half a loaf", maybe a quarter.

I have to agree with Carl B. I finally got home last night and used my receiver since its been upgraded to v2.64. I now have one LESS OTA channel than before. I used to get around 65% on PBS, now it sits at 49%. Dammit!

One doesn't need to be on OTA for an extended period of time to have problems getting the guide. I was OTA for 15 min. this morning, pressed "Guide" and was treated to my first "5 Tests" experience -- this may be even worse than it used to be, tho the new guide really is a BIG IMPROVEMENT!

Craig

gpflepsen said:
Has anyone noticed the back panel inputs are now labeled 0-01 and 0-02?
Yes, and that has allowed us to get WCIU from Chicago which remaps to 1-1. Prior to Tuesday night, the 811 wouldn't get it.

Carl B said:
As to the 49% problem, I tend to agree with those who believe this is a hardware issue with the 811 that isn't going to get any better. Therefore, I'm focusing on improving my OTA antenna setup.

I have been trying to fix the 49% problem with antenna improvements. I installed a Radio Shack 160" 57 element antenna. No fix. The next week I had a Radio Shack 15-1109 antenna mounted pre amp installed. No fix. Then the following week I had a channel master antenna rotor installed. No fix...All for only :eek: about $500.00 including labor.

After the 811 download I was able to pick up one more digital that was one of my "49%" problem channels. Maybe a coincidence, I don't know? But I never was able to lock on that station before. All my other "49%" channels are still @ 49%. Though I plan to try pointing the antenna at them again and see if I can tweak in any more.

On the other hand S-Video seems to be much brighter, although it is still not as bright as it should be. My DVI output is also brighter and IMO is where the brightness should be. To paraphrase someone elses post "the dynamic range doesn't seem to be as good as it should be". Not sure if dynamic range is the correct term for video but I thought it described what I am seeing pretty well and if there is another term I don't know it.

I pretty happy with the system now. I think I can live with it until the next update even if it's a couple months down the road.

Grandude said:
I'm still having the problem on ch12.1. Methinks it is mainly occurring on VHF digital channels, but I could be wrong.

I'm getting 12.1 just fine, so it isn't that Grandude. I am still having a problem keeping KGO on my 811 though. It gets a lock and then disappears. KGO works fine with my 6000 and Samsung T151 though.

Good move to remap the back inputs to 0

Sparkman said:
Yes, and that has allowed us to get WCIU from Chicago which remaps to 1-1. Prior to Tuesday night, the 811 wouldn't get it.

Same in Milwaukee. I can now get the local CBS affiliate's digital transmission, which includes not only the network station but an independent that shows a lot of local sports, a Spanish language station AND additional subchannels which I believe will be used to broadcast additional games during the NCAA tournament. This is a GREAT benefit.

I also love the fix to the EPG.

Still waiting for Channel 100, however, and still having some blank screen problems with timers.

But for noticeable everyday improvement, this was a very nice upgrade.

By the way, in Milwaukee I have the "49%" problem on the local NBC affiliate, but if I just leave the receiver alone, it usually locks it within a minute. A little annoying but no big deal.

Forward said:
......and still having some blank screen problems with timers......

I think I have found out that VCR timers work (at least for DISH channels) when the box is left on. My first attempt failed Tuesday night when I left the box off, but last night I left the box on and taped something just fine in the middle of the night.

Forward said:
Same in Milwaukee. I can now get the local CBS affiliate's digital transmission, which includes not only the network station but an independent that shows a lot of local sports, a Spanish language station AND additional subchannels which I believe will be used to broadcast additional games during the NCAA tournament. This is a GREAT benefit.

I also love the fix to the EPG.

Still waiting for Channel 100, however, and still having some blank screen problems with timers.

But for noticeable everyday improvement, this was a very nice upgrade.

By the way, in Milwaukee I have the "49%" problem on the local NBC affiliate, but if I just leave the receiver alone, it usually locks it within a minute. A little annoying but no big deal.

Both of these in Chicago & Milwaukee are owned by Weigel Broadcasting are are about the only channels that have not reached an agreement with DISH for carriage. If I turn my antenna I can get ch 58 on 1-1 about 33% of the time. Since our CBS doesn't multicast, I may try during the tournament. We should also be seeing those channels remap properly sometime. Also ironic that I can get digital channel 4 real easily hear when I turn the antenna north, usually at about 75%.

Carl B said: "As to the 49% problem, I tend to agree with those who believe this is a hardware issue with the 811 that isn't going to get any better. Therefore, I'm focusing on improving my OTA antenna setup. "

I added a preamp to my 811. I gained one channel and lost three. I only had seven to begin with. Anyone interested in a expensive preamp.

Sparkman said:
What digital channel does 12.1 broadcast on there? The channel I'm having the problem on is channel 7, which broadcasts on digital 52. The channel that is better is channel 11, which broadcasts on digital 47. The other channel improved is channel 10, which broadcasts on digital 8. All 3 of these multicast.
Sorry I didn't make that clear. It is digital channel 12 with a PSIP of channel 11.
Since 12 is VHF and my other channels are all UHF I did make the assumption that the problem might be related to 'only' the VHF digital channels but it now looks like I am wrong.
I called Dish a couple of days ago and the CSR and the next level CSR both claimed that this problem had not been reported so I pushed him to fill out a problem report on it.
The only similar problems he could find in the database were the Milwaukee/Chicago problem(s) where the offending channel is mapped (PSIP) to channel 1.

jerryez said:
I added a preamp to my 811. I gained one channel and lost three. I only had seven to begin with. Anyone interested in a expensive preamp.

I did the same thing before the fix came out and was getting the 49% thing on 2 stations. These would both come in after about 2 minutes of fluctuation. After the fix, these would not lock in at all, but jump form 49% to 92-93%! I remember reading somewhere that an overamplified signal can be just as bad. I went to the attic, lowered the gain from about 25db to between 10 and 15 and....now all of my (only 6) stations come in great on the first try. I have to believe that was the cause for me.

Carl B said:
The EPG problems they didn't fix are the lock-up when Guide is pressed after being on an OTA channel for an extended period of time ....

But the lockup is only with the UHF remote, in my experience.

I also use a Dish 5000 remote (4 year-old black one) that uses IR, and a Philips Pronto Neo that uses IR, and when the UHF Pro remote sits there and blinks but does nothing to the 811, the other 2 remotes using IR work fine.

Bobby said:
I'm getting 12.1 just fine, so it isn't that Grandude. I am still having a problem keeping KGO on my 811 though. It gets a lock and then disappears. KGO works fine with my 6000 and Samsung T151 though.

I'm also getting 12.1 fine, as well as KGO. What you're experiencing with KGO is similar to my situation with KPIX. When first tuning into that channel it has a hard time locking (locks and disappears), but once it gets a good lock, it doesn't drop it. This doesn't happen to me too often, and I thought it had something to do with KPIX and not the 811.

Bobby said:
Bobby,
I have a new "fix" for the channel failing to lock in.
1. Select the channel, in my case it is either 12.1 or 11.1 depending on the mood of the 811 at the time.
2. Before getting the lost signel screen push the Guide button and wait for a few seconds. The signel will now lock.
3. Push the View button and I am in fat city.

NOTE: This brings up a new problem. Some times it is locked in just fine with a 75% signel as noted by hitting View, but no picture. Totally black.
The only way I have been able to fix this is to power the 811 off, wait a few seconds and power on again and then repeat the above process.

HELP! I am stuck in the shampoo, rinse, repeat cycle.............. :p

AcuraCL said:
But the lockup is only with the UHF remote, in my experience.

I also use a Dish 5000 remote (4 year-old black one) that uses IR, and a Philips Pronto Neo that uses IR, and when the UHF Pro remote sits there and blinks but does nothing to the 811, the other 2 remotes using IR work fine.

I use an IR universal remote, and it will still lock up or go into the "new, improved" 5-step screen. (It makes you long for the old "acquiring signal" screen.)

GaryPen said:
I use an IR universal remote, and it will still lock up or go into the "new, improved" 5-step screen. (It makes you long for the old "acquiring signal" screen.)

Interesting. Every time my UHF remote fails to work, I just tap my partner and hold out my hand, and use the IR remote. It has always worked.

Grandude said:
Bobby,
I have a new "fix" for the channel failing to lock in.
1. Select the channel, in my case it is either 12.1 or 11.1 depending on the mood of the 811 at the time.
2. Before getting the lost signel screen push the Guide button and wait for a few seconds. The signel will now lock.
3. Push the View button and I am in fat city.

NOTE: This brings up a new problem. Some times it is locked in just fine with a 75% signel as noted by hitting View, but no picture. Totally black.
The only way I have been able to fix this is to power the 811 off, wait a few seconds and power on again and then repeat the above process.

HELP! I am stuck in the shampoo, rinse, repeat cycle.............. :p

I'll have to try your "fix".

IMHO, the 811 is a fine receiver for HD and Satellite channels. For OTA, it is basically junk (for me) at this point.

I had one digital channel before the 264 upgrade and I could lock it in at 72-75%. Since the fix, when I select the channel 022-3, it goes to the channel and shows 49%, and if I let it sit there it goes to the "no signal" screen. If I were to push the Info button and let it sit a while, when I press select or view tv, I now seem to have a lock at 62-64%, but a totally black screen and no sound. By switching back and forth, and pressing select & view sometimes the channel will come in fine and stay that way.

This is not a good OTA receiver for me anyway.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a rock-steady OTA only receiver??

Dave

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)