New Software upgrade for 811

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
DaveO said:
IMHO, the 811 is a fine receiver for HD and Satellite channels. For OTA, it is basically junk (for me) at this point.

I had one digital channel before the 264 upgrade and I could lock it in at 72-75%. Since the fix, when I select the channel 022-3, it goes to the channel and shows 49%, and if I let it sit there it goes to the "no signal" screen. If I were to push the Info button and let it sit a while, when I press select or view tv, I now seem to have a lock at 62-64%, but a totally black screen and no sound. By switching back and forth, and pressing select & view sometimes the channel will come in fine and stay that way.

This is not a good OTA receiver for me anyway.

Dave

My 811 is a mixed bag for OTA digital (for analog OTA, it sucks, any way you look at it.).

On the one hand, it does get a lot of stations for me, about 28 channels from 15 or 16 stations in the South Bay Area (North SJ), using a small indoor antenna and preamp. It also provides 5.1 sound, when transmitted as such (Oscars were awesome). And, quite frankly, the HD OTA picture is breathtaking using the 1080i output, regardless of 720 or 1080 broadcast. Perhaps you need a better OTA antenna?

OTOH, it can take forever to lock on some stations, with the strength fluctuating wildly for up to 30 seconds or so. I don't believe that is the broadcasters' fault, as some Dishies have opined. If it eventually locks in at let's say 65%, that means the signal is at 65%. Why would their broadcast fluctuate when first tuned in, every single time you tuned to that station? That would be an incredible coincedence. However, most stations do lock quicker since the 264 upgrade, or so it seems to me. Overall, I'm noticing higher signal strength numbers, as well.

The channel mapping issue, wherein the PSIP channel name reverts to channel frequency is also annoying. Since nobody has complained of this with the 6000, as far as I know, and I've also only seen sporadic complaints of it in non-Dish receivers, I'd have to blame it mostly on the 811. It is a pain.

Then, of course, there's the issue of going to the EPG directly from an OTA channel. They gotta fix that. Jeez that's big time annoying.

bobiii said:
I got my 811 in December and worked great in HD mode. Two weeks ago I lost the 148 satellite. They promised me a fix in the next download. No such luck! That was two weeks ago. How much time should I give them??? They broke it, since it was working fine until two weeks ago when they moved all HD from the 148. They screwed something up and I just can't see why they can't retrace their steps and fix it!

I need my CBS HD!

I don't understand how you can have things working since December, and then out of the blue a couple weeks ago, reception from one Dish stops working and Dish blames it on needing a code update? I would suspect a cable problem, switch problem, bad LNB on the 148 dish before I would suspect a receiver problem, or am I missing something?

normang said:
I don't understand how you can have things working since December, and then out of the blue a couple weeks ago, reception from one Dish stops working and Dish blames it on needing a code update? I would suspect a cable problem, switch problem, bad LNB on the 148 dish before I would suspect a receiver problem, or am I missing something?

You are missing something. EVERYBODY with an 811 using DishPro switches/LNB's and a 2nd dish pointing at 148, lost 148 at the same time last month. (including myself.)

As such, I wouldn't suspect a cable probnlem, switch problem, or bad LNB. It really isn't a receiver problem, per se, either. It's a compatability issue between the 811, DishPro gear, and whatever the hell they did to the 148 signal in mid-February. The same combination of hardware works OK with 61.5.

See:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=7092&page=1

That is pretty strange.. Since there have not been any software upgrades till 3/2 and 61.5 works fine, and if you have Legacy LNB's it works, I guess.. you would think if they made a change on 148, they could back that out..

Somewhere along the line, they'll get it right.. Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later..

bsic said:
One thing though- I have the option set to include DISH locals on channels below 100... but I still only see my OTA channels here. Is there something Im missing? I only see 19-01, 05-01, etc... no DISH locals at all from channels 1-99.

-bill
Are you using a custom favorites list? If so, just add the remapped locals to it. That may or may not be your issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)