New Software version 7.37

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sat Junkie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
WallyWorld CT
I got home from work this morning and I found I couldn't turn on my Voom. After a reboot it started downloading version 7.37. I still don't know what's new my daughter stole the remote and started watching MTV.

This version fixes some minor issues discovered in 7.34. Nothing major.

Sat Junkie said:
I got home from work this morning and I found I couldn't turn on my Voom. After a reboot it started downloading version 7.37. I still don't know what's new my daughter stole the remote and started watching MTV.

7.37??? My receiver hasn't even done the 7.33 upgrade yet. Just wondering, if I do a hard boot (unplug the receiver for a few seconds then plug it back it) if it will force the download of the new software? Or do I just have to wait my turn?

uboatcmdr said:
7.37??? My receiver hasn't even done the 7.33 upgrade yet. Just wondering, if I do a hard boot (unplug the receiver for a few seconds then plug it back it) if it will force the download of the new software? Or do I just have to wait my turn?
Which version do you have?

uboatcmdr said:
Version 7.33
Then you are up-to-date! Just wait until you are targrted for 7.37. You are not supposed to get 7.34. Only some percentage of the customers have been upgraded to 7.34.

Have a problem. At times, my screen goes black. It only goes black for a few seconds and then the picture comes back on. This might happen several times an evening. While this happens, my sound continues. I was told by Voom that the new software upgrade will fix this. I am currently on 7.33. Any experience? Is it fixed by the new upgrade?

Folks - don't forget that your STB needs to be in standby - e.g. turned off but not unplugged - to get the updates. This is a characteristic of all Moto STBs (4DTV works the same way) to avoid disrupting a viewer if they are watching when the update becomes available. I always shut my box off in the evening and in all cases (so far) where a new version of the SW was released, I got it that day.

The only reason you wouldn't want to turn it off is if (for whatever reason) you don't want to get updates.

Cheers,

Doug

Raylessans said:
Have a problem. At times, my screen goes black. It only goes black for a few seconds and then the picture comes back on. This might happen several times an evening. While this happens, my sound continues. I was told by Voom that the new software upgrade will fix this. I am currently on 7.33. Any experience? Is it fixed by the new upgrade?
Is this on all channels, or just some of them? Are you using DVI or component output?

Doug--many of us who leave the STB on 100% of the time get the download whether it is in standby or not. You can also force the download if there is a date in the 'targeted version' in the installation menu, by selecting 'verify voom'.

Usually they start pushing versions in "safe" (non-intrusive) mode, so that only STBs in standby would get the update. Then a few days later they switch to "forced" mode to make sure that all STBs are updated regardless of their state. And as Stone Man mentioned, you can also force the update, but only if you are targeted.

Look in the menu and if you are targeted, you can receive it right away by choosing to do so in the menu.

FYI: only 5% or so of customers have been targeted/upgraded to 7.37 so far.
If no new problems reported, the rest of the customers will be upgraded soon.

To further elaborate on SWv 7.x+ upgrades; it is more thoughtful to implement software updates slowly, exposing small segments at a time. That way if there is an issue those segments will report issues in a somewhat manageable fashion rather than call centers inundated w/ 26K irate clients w/ possible multiple issues.

Ilya said:
Is this on all channels, or just some of them? Are you using DVI or component output?

It seems to be on the HD channels. I am using DVI. I have not noticed it on non HD Channels, but it is hard to say. I will pay closer attention this evening. But it has occured both on the local OTA channels as well as over the Sat.

It's nice to know that I'm one of the Guinea Pigs in the Voom upgrade experiment. At least if I end up with a problem with the upgrades I don't have to worry about loosing my locals. I'll just plug in my old HDSTB until any problems are rectified.

dougmcbride said:
Folks - don't forget that your STB needs to be in standby - e.g. turned off but not unplugged - to get the updates. This is a characteristic of all Moto STBs (4DTV works the same way) to avoid disrupting a viewer if they are watching when the update becomes available. I always shut my box off in the evening and in all cases (so far) where a new version of the SW was released, I got it that day.

The only reason you wouldn't want to turn it off is if (for whatever reason) you don't want to get updates.

Cheers,

Doug

This is absolutely not true. My home theater Voom box is left on all the time so that my tivo can change channels on it to record scheduled shows. I have gotten several updates to this Voom box without ever having it in standby.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)