New software

GaryPen said:
WRONG! The reason for the favorites list is to make finding your "favorites" in the EPG easier. If you can no longer go directly to a channel by entering its number directly with the numerical keyboard, then THEY BROKE IT.

That's the way my 311 works, as well. It will not let you key in a channel number if that channel number is not in your current guide listing.

Well for me.

1) Recall works with limited testing.
2) Better detail in the shadows with DVI. Need to lower brightness a bit and at this point I think it is time to calibrate.
3) the EPG in 16x9 seems to have shrunk a bit on the bottom. I know see about a 1" of black where I dont' recall seeing it before.
4) Have not seen the acquiring signal, but I am sure I will based on the reports. I see it about twice a week on average.
5) With limited viewing shadow detail seems improved.

So far so good for me.

snathanb said:
That's the way my 311 works, as well. It will not let you key in a channel number if that channel number is not in your current guide listing.

I actually think the 721 works this way too, but I could be wrong. Memory may be crossed.

DWS44 said:
Just got home and checked mine...got 269. Definately time to readjust the settings, as the pic is now insanely bright thru DVI.

Channel 100 shows up now, but the main graphics that show on the channel headers, and on the music channels is still the old cheap looking text. I thought that the software that added the Dish Home Interactive also added the spiffy looking interface like the 322 has. Oh well. I know that's not much...just always thought the graphics (or lack thereof) looked cheap on the 811...especially on the music channels.

The dish logo button now works, it takes you directly to the Channel 100. before it just stated "for future use"

WeeJavaDude said:
I actually think the 721 works this way too, but I could be wrong. Memory may be crossed.

I'm pretty sure I can enter any channel directly in the 721, regardless of current Favorite list. I could be mistaken, though

However, as many have pointed out, I definitely cannot do that with the 811. That is one extremely dumb feature/bug.

Bulldog said:
The dish logo button now works, it takes you directly to the Channel 100. before it just stated "for future use"

Not if it is not in your guide that you are using at the time. I have my favorites programmed in one guide and the dish button takes me to channel 105, as that is the first channel on my list.

OTA Remapping still broke in 269?

I STILL cannot get one of my OTA digital stations to remap properly. The others are fine, but Channel 39 remaps to 6-1, 6-2 and 6-3 (properly) until one uses it, at which point it becomes 39-1 and 39-2. :( Notice I have lost a channel in the process!!! (sigh)

CRaig

WeeJavaDude said:
3) the EPG in 16x9 seems to have shrunk a bit on the bottom. I know see about a 1" of black where I dont' recall seeing it before.

The first thing I noticed within the first second of the new software was that there was a thin stripe of geometric artifacts being shown right at the bottom edge of my display. I'm sure this is lost in the overscan of 99% of the displays out there. What's really weird is that these colored squares are show on the display when the power is OFF to my receiver. It goes away when programming or any of the menus are being displayed. It's definitely coming out of the receiver, because it goes away if I unplug the component cable. APPARENTLY 269 has made my box sentient, and the dancing colored squares are a video representation of the dreams that my box has when it's power switch is in the off position. ;)

Oh and I have to concur that the EPG does seem smaller, at least in the vertical dimension.

For grins I just used the "Adjust" feature to see if I could alter the position of the artifacts that were shown when the power was off.
Interestingly enough, I found that adjusting the picture UP, actually succeeding in moving the artifacts down off the bottom edge. Quite conterintuitive. Weirdness.

Craig Henrikson said:
I STILL cannot get one of my OTA digital stations to remap properly. The others are fine, but Channel 39 remaps to 6-1, 6-2 and 6-3 (properly) until one uses it, at which point it becomes 39-1 and 39-2. :( Notice I have lost a channel in the process!!! (sigh)

CRaig

Same here. Immediately after scanning digital channels I get Channel 8 on channel 8, but switch to a different channel and go back, it has moved to Channel 10. It should stay on Channel 8.

More info on the channel recall issue. It's more complicated than I thought.

Analog OTA to Analog OTA - working
Analog OTA to Digital OTA with station ID - working
Analog OTA to Digital OTA without station ID - working
Analog OTA to satellite - working

Digital OTA with station ID to Analog OTA - working
Digital OTA with station ID to Digital OTA with station ID - working
Digital OTA with station ID to Digital OTA without station ID - working
Digital OTA with station ID to satellite - working

Digital OTA without station ID to Analog OTA - NOT working
Digital OTA without station ID to Digital OTA with station ID - NOT working
Digital OTA without station ID to Digital OTA without station ID - NOT working
Digital OTA without station ID to satellite - NOT working

Satellite to Analog OTA - working
Satellite to Digital OTA with station ID - working
Satellite to Digital OTA without station ID - working
Satellite to satellite - working

"with station ID" means that the 811 has picked up the name of the channel e.g. WFSB.

It is pretty obvious that Dish have a bug in one recall mode.

EDIT - another old favorite bug just appeared. Sometimes, switching from OTA to satellite, the satellite channel is black screen. Switch back to OTA, it's ok. Back to satellite, black screen. Needs a front panel power button 10 second reset to clear. That sucks, I was hoping that daily reboots were over.

Keith.

269 has fixed RECALL sufficiently for me. It also brought my S-Video input PQ into totally normal brightness, color, and black levels. It seems to have improved the OTA DTV receiver's ability to discriminate between multi-path signals as my 811 now locks OTA channels much quicker when I click to a new channel. Less bouncing around with varying signal strength before locking in. My 49% problems were fixed last month when I reconfigured my attic antennas to deal with multiple signal paths and take advantage of antenna radiation pattern nulls. OTA analog (NTSC tuner) from the 811 seems to have ben significantly improved. Some channels are almost as clear as those I view from my direct OTA analog feed to my Sammy DLP, with all of its hot electronics. Finally, 269 did something to the normal volume levels on the satellite HD channels. They are all louder than before at the same settings. Of course DiscoveryHD's sound is still all over the map depending on what they are showing at the time.

The OTA channel to EPG "acquiring signal" problem is as strong and prevalent as ever. Wasn't this a "never fixed" problem with the 6000 also? 269 did nothing for it. 269's brightening of S-Video has over-brightened the PQ on my DVI input. I've had to create a Custom setup to get an acceptable level of brightness and color saturation. They fixed one thing and screwed up another.

Regarding the new HD and SD zoom functions, I can't get the SD zoom to do much of anything. The only time it did anything was on local OTA DTV via S-Video. It allowed me to zoom a highly condensed picture to the size that SD normally comes in via satellite. One change only. Doesn't do anything to the satellite channels via S-Video. I still have to use my Sammy's aspect ratio control to zoom those to full screen. HD Zoom works perfect on all channels via my DVI connection. Am I missing something regarding the SD Zoom? Yes, I've re-booted (soft and hard) my 811 and it didn't have any effect.

keith said:
EDIT - another old favorite bug just appeared. Sometimes, switching from OTA to satellite, the satellite channel is black screen. Switch back to OTA, it's ok. Back to satellite, black screen. Needs a front panel power button 10 second reset to clear. That sucks, I was hoping that daily reboots were over.

Keith.

I had the black screen on SAT last night also, but this time even my OTA stations were black when I went back to them.

New Problem: cant add back DTV station

This is frustrating. After the 269 I lost one of my OTA digital stations from my list. 25-1 (CBS). It is not a strength issue. This station has always been rock solid. It just disappeared from my list. I try to add it manually and type in 25 and signal strength is 90+, I try to name it and save..it comes back up and nothing, I try to not name it...nothing. I remove all other stations and try to add it..nothing. When I do a scan of DTV it finds it just fine because I see the station "count" go up one when it gets to 25, but I cannot get it to show up. I know it is working because I have a second OTA STB hoked up to the TV and it shows the channel just fine.

This is one of 2 stations that I have that dont have descriptors, but the other one is just fine. I have rebooted (front panel and unplugged) still nothing.

Anyone else seen this?

Oak

Me too. My other 811 still on 268 and I have been leave it off for two days now.

Dish doesn't kill bugs dead.

1- Acquiring Signal/Dowloading guide bug still present. No change at all.
2- Recall still doesn't go from OTA back to Sat channel. It works from Sat to OTA, though. No change.
3- Sirius channels won't stay hidden from the guide, when using the newly activated "hide locked" feature. They can be checked. But, they won't stay hidden. I definitely don't need 70 channels of music cluttering up my guide, when I only listen to maybe a dozen. (Actually, I don't usually use the 811 for anything except HD. But, I want the guide to match my 721, for the rare occasion when I do.) "Hide Locked" is a big change for the better. They just don't have it working 100% yet. (Big surprise for Dish.)

Beginning 8/2, after the 269 was installed, my four PBS digital stations which used to be 021-01, 021-02, 021-03, 021-04 became 016-01 thru 016-05. The analog station is channel 21 and the digital feed comes from channel 16. The 016-05 is a black screen with a radio feed (from the local PBS radio station). My NBC local digtal feed comes from channel 58 and I had issues up until late last nite with locking that back in as 010-01 (it kept showing 058-01). The good part of this story was when I called Dish Tech help at 8pm last night to tell them this info to have avail for when the develop 280. The tech rep became defensive (once again) and attempted to blame the local channels. He stopped this once I convinced him that the change started when 269 arrived. He ended the call be taking the notes to put into their 269 problem file. :no

keith said:
Same here. Immediately after scanning digital channels I get Channel 8 on channel 8, but switch to a different channel and go back, it has moved to Channel 10. It should stay on Channel 8.

More info on the channel recall issue. It's more complicated than I thought.

Analog OTA to Analog OTA - working
Analog OTA to Digital OTA with station ID - working
Analog OTA to Digital OTA without station ID - working
Analog OTA to satellite - working

Digital OTA with station ID to Analog OTA - working
Digital OTA with station ID to Digital OTA with station ID - working
Digital OTA with station ID to Digital OTA without station ID - working
Digital OTA with station ID to satellite - working

Digital OTA without station ID to Analog OTA - NOT working
Digital OTA without station ID to Digital OTA with station ID - NOT working
Digital OTA without station ID to Digital OTA without station ID - NOT working
Digital OTA without station ID to satellite - NOT working

Satellite to Analog OTA - working
Satellite to Digital OTA with station ID - working
Satellite to Digital OTA without station ID - working
Satellite to satellite - working

"with station ID" means that the 811 has picked up the name of the channel e.g. WFSB.

It is pretty obvious that Dish have a bug in one recall mode.

Keith.

THis would explain why somepeople thought it was fixed and others claimed it was not. Good work Keith. I did have my video go completely black this morning. No picture on all channels but the guide and info buttons indicated that it was changing channels. Software Reboot cured.

This release is definitely a step in the right direction. Time will tell how stable it is. Hopefully it will be more stable for you.

Digital OTA without station ID to .....

.... doesn't work

My 811 works on all combinations of recall, including 'Digital OTA without station ID to...'. Go figure?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)