New Sony A/V Receiver--need DISH remote control info to program

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MMG

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
My last A/V Receiver just died so I picked up a new Sony STR-DG910. I tried programming the VIP221's remote to control Volume and muting but am having trouble.

The receiver comes preset to Sony's Command AV2 IR codeset and there doesn't seem to be a corresponding DISH remote code to use.

If I switch the receiver to Command AV1 codeset, the DISH remote works but the receiver's remote won't.

Is there a DISH remote IR codeset number that works with Sony's Command AV2 IR codes?????

thanks

The receiver's remote can also be switched over to the AV1 command set. I also have a Sony receiver. Actually... I have 2 in the same room. One is on AV1 command set (for the TV) and the other is used only for music and is in another cabinet about 12 feet away from the TV receiver. I have the music-only receiver on AV2 so they don't get confused. :)

You CAN put the Sony remote on AV1. I've done it.

I wish... Nobody's figured out how to make this particular remote work in AV1 mode... ( the remote model number is RM-AAP016)

BTW... what is the model number of your Sony remote that is switchable to AV1? Does it have a SAT button?

thanks

I wish... Nobody's figured out how to make this particular remote work in AV1 mode... ( the remote model number is RM-AAP016)

BTW... what is the model number of your Sony remote that is switchable to AV1? Does it have a SAT button?

thanks

I don't use my Sony remote. In fact I don't use ANY of the remotes that came with my equipment. I store them away safely and use a universal remote. Right now I'm using the Harmony 880. None of that ... switch this device to this input and that device to that input and why won't the volume go up? Oh! because I have to tell the remote to control the A/V receiver instead of the satellite receiver......

Activity-based is so much nicer than device-based.

My Sony remote is an RM-PP411. There's a little "use mode" button on it and you press and hold that while pressing AV1 or AV2 to switch command modes.

SAT button? It has Video1 Video2 Video3 DVD/LD TV/SAT MD/TAPE CD/SACD TUNER Phone and AUX but those are just for inputs. I do not believe it will operate a dish receiver. It does have satellite receivers listed but they are brand names like Sony, Panasonic, etc. No Echostar.

AND... after some checking on your remote, you are correct. It doesn't appear as though that remote can be switched to command set 1. Which is really kinda dumb since your receiver's discrete on and off are apparently in command set 1 and not present in command set 2.

I have to say that I'm a big fan of universal remotes. They *can* get a bit pricey but you probably don't need one of the really high end ones (neither do I for that matter) . The Harmony 880 is working great here for me but I will be looking at URC remotes when the Harmony dies.

Last edited:
Not all Sonys work with DishNetwork hardware. I have a Dish 622, and its remote will not work with a Sony STR-DG500. I called Customer Service and essentially was told to "read and use the codes in the instruction manual" -- thanks, I never even thought of THAT. The 622 remote does work perfectly with an older STR-DE475. Go figure. I could not get the Sony remote RM-AAU005 to adequately conrol my 622. If the scan doesn't work, you're probably out of luck without a universal remote.

To program your dish remote

I recently bought the sony 910 receiver and wanted to have the dish remote control it the volume ,mute & power .None of the codes work and neither did the scan in the new book .I found this and the remote found the receiver on the third click and also found my DVD player .Now I have all things with one remote which avoids me getting phone calls all day at work from my wife when she's work the remote.For very detail changes I still have to use the original remote which is not a problem .

I hope this helps someone else out and pass it on .I found it buying doing a google search this comes from a old forum and remote but it worked for me

I have tried all the codes to program my remote, what else can I do?
If the codes provided do not work, you can try a Power Scan. Here are some simple tips before you begin:

When starting a Power Scan after previously entering the code manually, first reprogram the remote to 500 using the remote for a TV or VCR or 0000 for the AUX mode. This will give you quicker and more consistent results. Once the device powers off, press the # button or the address button depending on the type of remote you have. Manually turn on the device you are trying to program before you begin the Power Scan. If the scan powers the device off, but does not give full function, re-start scan mode and continue (for example, there are dozens of RCA TV codes). Not all devices are supported, and many will only give you basic functions. If performing the Power Scan correctly then it should not take more than six minutes to find the code.

If you are performing a Power Scan in AUX mode, the steps you should follow are below:
  • Hold down the AUX button so all buttons light up.
  • Enter in prefix 0=TV, 1=VCR, 2=AUX device (i.e., DVD, stereo amplifier, etc.).
  • Press the * button.
  • Press Power then press the Up button like you would with a regular Power Scan.
  • Once the device powers off, press the # button or the address button depending on the type of remote you have.
  • If you start this procedure and at any time do not press a button within 20 seconds, the remote will end the procedure automatically. Simply start over again.
Read it carefully cause the up button sequence is the difference

Last edited:
Bumping this old thread to ask what code worked? I have a STR-K790 that I'd like to control via my Vip211's remote. My 622 controls the volume (up/down/mute) plus powers on (but not off) my HK AVR-247. However, I can't figure out the Sony. Sony and Toshiba love to switch things up--sigh.

here is how to do the dg500...
On the receiver (except the STR-DA3200ES and STR-DG1000):
1. Press and hold the INPUT MODE (STR-DG500, STR-DG600 and STR-DG800) or the INPUT (HT-7000DH AND HT-7550DH) button.
2. While holding the INPUT MODE or INPUT button, press the Power (I/O) button.
3. Each time you do this, the command mode will toggle between AV1 and AV2.

then use code 2813 on your dish remote in aux mode. ( you put a two in front when for an amp)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)