New Sony Grand WEGA(TM) High-Definition Televisions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
New Sony Grand WEGA(TM) High-Definition Televisions Just the Ticket for Summer TV Sports Viewing
Wednesday June 22, 10:46 am ET

Source

SAN DIEGO, June 22 /PRNewswire/ -- Delivering on the excitement of action-packed sports in high-definition and affirming its market leadership position in the micro-display projection television category, Sony's new Grand WEGA 3LCD HDTV models are now shipping throughout the United States.
With broadcasters committed to delivering more HDTV sports action this summer, the season promises to be a benchmark for high-definition programming. Just in time, Sony's new Grand WEGA HD models -- the KDF-E60A20 (60-inch), KDF-E55A20 (55-inch), and KDF-E50A10 (50-inch) -- begin shipping this week. Additionally, the KDF-E42A10 (42-inch) model will ship in late July.

"If you're even a casual sports fan, the coming year is going to be amazing from an HD standpoint," said Greg Gudorf, vice president of television marketing for Sony Electronics. "Broadcasters are offering thousands of hours of high-definition content, including baseball's All-Star game and pennant races, auto racing, and golf this summer while the fall and winter seasons bring professional and college football and basketball seasons. And, if you're a fan of HD, our latest Grand WEGA TVs continue to lead the microdisplay category thanks to incredible picture quality and tremendous overall performance."

NPD Techworld's latest update from June 4 shows Sony's Grand WEGA dominating the high-definition micro-display product category with nearly 40 percent dollar share and almost 35 percent unit share. Having led the category since it was established in late 2002, Sony's 37.1 unit share average for the last six months was more than double the unit share average of seven of the top nine competitors combined during this period.

"In fact, since 2002, the nearest competitor's DLP (Digital Light Processing) micro-display television has only reached 30 percent unit share once," Gudorf said.

Looking to continue this leadership, Sony's KDF-E42A10 (42-inch) and KDF-E50A10 (50-inch) models feature a new design with a thin dark black bezel, a compact body (approximately 14 - 16 inches deep) and, for the first time, invisible speakers located at the bottom of the set.

As a result, these new sets now fit into space that previously may have been too small. For example, the new 50-inch model can be stored in a cabinet that previously held a 42-inch television and the new 42-inch model can be stored in a space that used to house a 36-inch TV.

Even more impressive than the fresh cabinet design is Sony's crisp HD picture quality. Compared to enhanced definition televisions and other technologies, the Grand WEGA TVs deliver natural color reproduction and exceptional brightness levels due to 3LCD technology with 1280 x 720 native 720p resolution. Additionally, since 3LCD technology simultaneously projects three full-time red, green and blue images, there is no color breakup or "rainbow effect" that may cause eyestrain or visual fatigue.

Along with the WEGA Engine(TM) system exclusive circuitry technology, these new models also deliver excellent contrast with Sony's Cinema Black Pro technology. This process enables the displays' advanced iris shutter to automatically open and close according to the incoming signal level. This creates brighter whites and better contrast in dark scenes.

The other new Grand WEGA models -- the KDF-E55A20 (55-inch) and KDF-E60A20 (60-inch) -- utilize a proprietary LCD Optical Engine with Sony's WEGA Engine(TM) system to deliver detailed picture quality from any compatible video source by minimizing the digital-to-analog conversion process. These models also incorporate 3LCD panel technology and deliver 1366 x 768 screen resolution, which is more than a native 720p capability.

For added convenience, all four new models provide access to Sony's WEGA GATE(TM) on-screen guide, which with a push of a button enables you to perform a variety of tasks intuitively on a simple control panel. This easy to use on-screen guide provides direct access to favorite channels, external inputs and the TV menu.

Shipping now, the KDF-E60A20 is available for about $3,500 and the KDF-E55A20 for about $3,000. In July, the KDF-E50A10 and the KDF-E4210 will be available for about $2,800 and $2,300, respectfully. The models will soon be available direct from www.sonystyle.com and at SonyStyle stores found in select shopping malls nationwide.

KDF-E55A20 (55-inch),

All photos used with Permission from Sony...

kdf2.jpg

Larger Image

Online Manual:

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDFE55-60A20.pdf

When are the KDS models supposed to be out? Those are the ones that the black levels are supposed to be as good as the DLPs, isn't it?

how much more are the KDS models suppose to be? the above seems like a very good price and it will most likely be lower in the stores.

I've seen the new line, at a Sony line show in March. If you're looking for a 42" or 50" set, they are very impressive. The footprint on the 42" is the same as the old 36" Vega CRT. Some of the Qualia technology is drifting into the new Grand Vega and LCD models. In affordable TVs the 42 and 50" Grand Wega and the 40" LCD are going to be hard units to top. And if you've got about 14K laying around the 46" LCD backlighted with LED is unbelievable.

The new models are:

These are THE ONE you really want w/native 1080p and cinepro black
KDS-R50A10 1920 x 1080 SXRD
KDS-R60A10 1920 x 1080 SXRD

These are noting new much like the XBR800-955. Not sure what the hype is about these.
KDF-E55A20 1366 x 768 LCD
KDF-E60A20 1366 x 768 LCD

These are new in that they are native 720p AND the foot print is so small as the speakers are underneath built in.
KDF-E42A10 1280 x 720 LCD
KDF-E50A10 1280 x 720 LCD

There is a good discussion on these at AVSForum and they say the release should be in the fall OCT/NOV

Paradox-SJ said:
The new models are:

Yeah these are the ones.... I asked my contact at Sony when they plan to start selling these and he said he did not any information yet. I'll check the AVS rear projection for more information but sometimes the DLP/LCD discussion gets in the way of the good information.

Paradox-SJ said:
The new models are:

I better start working on the wife now!! I already know i want one of these!!

$6K huh, looks like Sony is trying to get its margins back after having to price war the other micro-display producers for the last two years. For the sake of their future customers, I hope they get LCD/RP right this time.

Paradox-SJ said:
There is no reason to believe that price is correct as the actually release dates are not even set in stone yet. That would make them almost twice that of the KDF line.

Besides I dont like that price its too high... :D

Oh yea i bet that is not the price. That is just what i came up with when i searched for the tv. I also come across a few forums that seem to think the set will sell for 3999. I will wait and buy one when they come out.

The only current model to use Cinema Black Pro in the consumer line is the VPLHS51. From what I remember, (and my memory isn't what it used to be) the Cineblack pro was to show up in the larger LCD and all Grand Vegas (uncluding the 720 models) this year. I could be wrong, but the new models should be out soon

I wouldn't own a Sony product is it we're given to me. The most repaired electronics on the market, there also the main company behind most of the lawsuits for Music and Movie sharing on line. But thats just my 2 cents.

Plywodstatebum said:
I wouldn't own a Sony product is it we're given to me. The most repaired electronics on the market, there also the main company behind most of the lawsuits for Music and Movie sharing on line. But thats just my 2 cents.

Yea BlackSony does not sound as good but 1080p Native i would switch!!

Plywodstatebum said:

you make a good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts