New Splitter?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Denman007

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
I just got a DVR hooked up with a single line. My installer said that there would be a splitter in the future that I could use at the wall to split my single line to feed both inputs.

Anyone hear of this or know when it will be available? That would be awesome.

Thanks.
D

I think there are devices that can do that called multiswitches. All I know is that not all are compatible.

I just got a DVR hooked up with a single line. My installer said that there would be a splitter in the future that I could use at the wall to split my single line to feed both inputs.

Anyone hear of this or know when it will be available? That would be awesome.

Thanks.
D

Denman,
The device that he is talking about is a SWM (single wire multiswitch) , it is NOT available yet and there has been no word yet as to if it will be available to the general public or only thru D*

It has been in testing for quite awhile now, but still no word as to when its going to be available.

Jimbo

I thought the SWM was a splitter.

So I feed 1 line in, and 1 line comes out and goes to tuner #1?

All four lines from the dish go into the SWM. The output goes to the port which says "Tuner1/SWM" (older HR20s say FTM instead of SWM). There can be a total of 8 tuners connected to the SWM (a 5 tuner version was being tested, but they decided not to release that). Splitters can be used to connect additional receivers (only D12, R16, HR20 and HR21 are compatible). For other receiver models there will be "legacy" ports, but these are not compatible with the Directv 10 Ka band satellite).

So the SWM would replace my maxed out Zinwell 6x8 and I would have to split the 4 lines to 8 out of the SWM?

Will D* be charging for these things? I haven't paid for a piece of equipment in 9 years (that I can remember). It ain't worth $200 to me.

Are they trying to build it into a dish?

So the SWM would replace my maxed out Zinwell 6x8 and I would have to split the 4 lines to 8 out of the SWM?

Will D* be charging for these things? I haven't paid for a piece of equipment in 9 years (that I can remember). It ain't worth $200 to me.

Are they trying to build it into a dish?

I think the SWM has 2 or 3 outputs. One of these has to be fed from the power inserter. They can be split up to a total of 8 tuners. A diplexer for OTA is built into the SWM8.

Directv has announced a new Slimline dish with built-in SWM. It does not have any legacy ports or a diplexer (a diplexer can be added to the output). No pricing has been announced, but grey market SWMs are going for $200-300.

Also, please note that not all DirecTV receivers are capable of decoding the SWM signal. That's why the SWM modules have legacy outputs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts