New Subscriber Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rmiller

Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
I am ready to make the jump to dish network but don't know which way to go. I am a new, first time subscriber so I qualify for all their new deals and am fairly confident my credit is not a problem. My question is this. Should I just subscribe to the lease plan or would I be better off trying to purchase the equipment (either through another plan with dish network or from ebay)? I am going to get an 811/811 system, I think.

I like the thought of owning my own equipment but wanted the opinions of those of you who have dealt with dish network.

I wouldn't go for a deal where I own the HD equipment unless I could get them to commit to a free upgrade. Later this year, your 811 won't be able to get the new HD programming that's going to be sent in MPEG-4. None of the current Dish HD receivers will.

Thanks for the info. The local guy here sure didn't let me in on that. That being said, what do you recommend? I have put off subscribing for over 2 years now because there's always something better coming on the horizon. Should I go with lesser equipment or just wait? Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

rmiller said:
Thanks for the info. The local guy here sure didn't let me in on that. That being said, what do you recommend? I have put off subscribing for over 2 years now because there's always something better coming on the horizon. Should I go with lesser equipment or just wait? Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.
If Dish has the right programming package for you, go with the Digital Home Advantage (DHA) plan. Get 6 months HD package for free, no committment, installation included, basically no up front costs. Not too sure if you can get 2 leased 811's that way though. Give it a try. :)

With the upgrade to MPEG-4 this is more than just something better coming out, this is going to be a total systemwide swapout, an upgrade to all of the receivers that will make our current receivers obsolete. With all of the receivers that are going to be junked some company could buy them out instead having MPEG-2 access from their satellite and sell them as FTA receivers to pick up free content. The receivers could be had for dirt cheap. It makes too much sense so it wont happen. Anybody know of any other ideas that the current MPEG-2 receivers could be used for if Dish has no use for them after a swapout?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)