New Technology May Force TV Ad Viewing

Maybe the future of television would be two different levels of subscription based plans ... one being the channel as it is shown today with commercials in which can be skipped. The other version would have software put a screen over the channel causing it to display advertisements all the time whether it be scrolling, flashing, etc. like you see on a computer screen and you can click on it somewhat similar to the interactive button that we have now. The one with the ads would be cheaper or free. This is probably what will support IPTV in the future.

mikew said:
I don't know of any right given by the government or God that protects us from commercials.

not allowing you to change the channel on the TV....that infringes on fair use... not allowing us to change channels is like saying you have 400 channels but if you tune to number 240 your locked there forever.

I would boycott any channel that locked me in to commercials. For the most part they are the most disgusting part of television. The show gets you hooked on it for the first twenty minutes than shows commercials every 5 mintues thereafter.

I'm a deeply religious person with VERY strong moral convictions (not really). This beer/condom/viagara commercial strongly offends me.

How dare you force me to watch that commercial.
Hopefully, the FCC would never allow this.

I too, would severly cut back my TV watching if they forced me to view commercials.

Now, they do need to get thier money from somewhere. It cost a lot to keep a crew and actors in Hawaii (and bail thier drunkin butts out of jail -> Lost :) ). I guess I'd have to opt for a system where I pay to watch commercial fee.

Next question is how much would I be willing to pay. It's not gonna be $2.99 per episode.

Perhaps:
$20/month for all networks,
or $10 per year per show? That could get rather pricey.

What exactly is the big beef with product placement? 20 years ago when someone moved in a show, they used "Ajax Moving Co." boxes. Completely phony. Now they use "Uhaul" boxes and trucks. Now, the forums explode with "oh i hate product placement", but isn't it really just shows becoming more realistic? When you move, you rent a...wait for it...UHAUL truck...Why is everyone so afraid of reality in their television shows? It's ok, really.

When you're at a BBQ, you don't drink "Greczkowski" beer, you drink Bud Lite or whatever. I really don't see the problem with them replacing "Dr. Dish" soda with Dr. Pepper, especially if it means they can cut down on commercials...I know i've never had a "Dr. Dish" soda, but i've sure had a Dr. Pepper...

You guys gotta stop bitching about this stuff so much, you can't have it both ways and neither one is offensive really. Commercials can be, but I don't think anyone here can ever say they've never found out something cool or bought a product because they saw it in a commercial. Even if you've gotta go back to your GI Joe action figures as a kid, you saw it in a commercial...

(Remembers "Look Who's Talking 2's - "I want a Cobra Hammerhead!!" ")

anyone see the oreo product placemnt on 7th heaven?

actually it doesnt bother me, and i remember kellogs product placcement bak on the beverly hillbillys

Yeah, I'd try "Greczkowski" beer. Homebrew can be good. I sometimes regret giving away my setup.

How much effect does "product placement" have? Did "Kool Aid" sales change after Jim Jones? Now THAT'S product placement, in a REAL reality show! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)