New terminology confusion

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kymics

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
In some of the recent talk about future receiver features (e.g. Passion), there are wish lists of features compiling. I'm getting confused as to which technologies pertain to North America.

I believe DVB-S has traditionally referred to non-HD MPEG-2. Now throw in some newer terms such as 8PSK, MPEG-4, DVB-S2 and it gets a bit confusing. So here's a few questions.

Is MPEG-4 limited to strictly HD or will it be rolled out on regular transponders as well? Can an MPEG-4 HD receiver (Sonicview, I believe) decode MPEG-2 HD as well?

Is DVB-S2 a European technology and is it being adopted here? I thought NA had their own system, 'Turbocode' or something like that.

In some of the recent talk about future receiver features (e.g. Passion), there are wish lists of features compiling. I'm getting confused as to which technologies pertain to North America.

I believe DVB-S has traditionally referred to non-HD MPEG-2. Now throw in some newer terms such as 8PSK, MPEG-4, DVB-S2 and it gets a bit confusing. So here's a few questions.

Is MPEG-4 limited to strictly HD or will it be rolled out on regular transponders as well? Can an MPEG-4 HD receiver (Sonicview, I believe) decode MPEG-2 HD as well?

Is DVB-S2 a European technology and is it being adopted here? I thought NA had their own system, 'Turbocode' or something like that.
I cannot say much about the DVB-S2, but MPEG4 is just a type of compression. I think you hear about MPEG4 with HD content because MPEG4 compression is apparently more "efficient", thusly giving you more compressed content within the same bandwidth. If the receiver does not specify that it decodes MPEG2, I'd be suspicious - we use SetTop boxes to deliver IPTV to our cable network, and the the boxes that do MPEG2 cannot do MPEG4, and the boxes that do MPEG4 cannot do MPEG2 (without a extra software)

MPEG 4 allows you to get more channels on a transponder. MPEG4 boxes will tunre MPEG2 channels too :)

Dish is using MPEG4 on their HD channels and will probably be doing it to thier SD channels in the future. As an example
HD channels on MPEG2 was 2 channels per Transponder
MPEG4 is 4 channel per TP :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts