New Terms of Service for DirecTV Stream

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Here is a full copy of the new terms of service:

(Effective November 7, 2023, until replaced)

This Fee Schedule is part of the Terms of Service and End User License Agreement for DIRECTV STREAM (available at www.directv.com/stream-tose) and incorporates the DIRECTV STREAM Device Terms of Use (available at www.directv.com/stream-tos).

This Fee Schedule applies to DIRECTV STREAM subscriptions purchased with a 24-month term commitment. Unless otherwise specified, the DIRECTV STREAM monthly recurring and transactional Fees listed below are in addition to any monthly recurring charge due for your DIRECTV STREAM Service. This is not an exhaustive list; there may be additional fees that potentially apply to your DIRECTV STREAM Service. DIRECTV reserves the right to change these fees, increase or decrease these fees, or impose additional fees without notice (unless otherwise prohibited by law) by publishing an update to this Fee Schedule to www.directv.com/stream-fees).

The Fees listed below do not include applicable government taxes/fees, which vary by location. If you have questions about your bill, please call 855.298.5656.

MONTHLY RECURRING SERVICE FEES
FeeAmountDescription / When You Pay / Notes
Regional Sports FeeUp to $15.99Fee applicable to programming packages that include regional sports.
TRANSACTIONAL FEES
FeeAmountDescription / When You Pay / Notes
Early Termination Fee$480If you terminate your Service prior to completing your 24-month term commitment with us (see Terms of Service and End User License Agreement for details).
Non-Return Fee$120Applies to DIRECTV STREAM devices included with your subscription to the DIRECTV STREAM experience at no additional cost. If you do not return your device after (1) canceling service in accordance with our cancelation policy (click here for details) or (2) making a warranty claim (click here for details).
Activation Fee$19.95One-time fee for activating the service.

• Wow
Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
Holy crap, are they really trying to kill the compnay?
I do not know what they are doing, I wish I could reveal more but cannot, because of my NDA.

I can say this, they will be getting a new appraisal done around springtime, because of their hopeful sale in the summer, that absolutely no one has shown a interest in as of now.

Last edited:
I do not know what they are doing, I wish I could reveal morebut cannot because of my NDA.

I can say this, they will be getting a new appraisal done around springtime, because of their hopeful sale in the summer, that absolutely no one has shown a interest in as of now.
The only person who has shown an interest has said hes not interested anymore.

Which one (or both) flops?

The only person who has shown an interest has said hes not interested anymore.

Which one (or both) flops?
He last shown a interest when TPG Capital was trying to sell it, now more then a year ago.

When Charlie Ergen was thinking it was inevitable they would merge.

This is a convoluted mess. directv.com doesn’t even mention Stream, you have to go to streamtv.directv.com. When you go there, there is a reference to the dongle, which takes you back to Directv.com. Why is there a $120 equipment return fee, if Stream no longer has Directv supplied equipment?

They have made such a mess of their products I swear the marketing and legal teams don’t even know what they are selling.

• Wow
Pretty sure this is the DirecTV via Internet terms and not related to the BYOD stream product. The via Internet terms have always gone to a webpage that had DirecTV Stream and also showed terms for the BYOD product. They were mixed on the page. This is the result of mixing your sh*t, it makes people confused and, well, makes your product look bad.

Example from 3.4: The Subscription to the Service may have a 24-month term commitment for all new customers...

This is nothing new, just poor disclosure work by lumping two products together.

Pretty sure this is the DirecTV via Internet terms and not related to the BYOD stream product. The via Internet terms have always gone to a webpage that had DirecTV Stream and also showed terms for the BYOD product. They were mixed on the page. This is the result of mixing your sh*t, it makes people confused and, well, makes your product look bad.

Example from 3.4: The Subscription to the Service may have a 24-month term commitment for all new customers...

This is nothing new, just poor disclosure work by lumping two products together.
You are 1000% percent correct

This is what it says on DirecTV‘s TOS for both Satellite and via internet-

Effective as of November 7, 2023, until replaced.

These Terms apply to DIRECTV residential customers with Equipment. If You purchased the DIRECTV STREAM experience without Equipment, these Terms do not apply to You. You can find the DIRECTV STREAM terms here www.directv.com/stream-tose.

Then if you hit the link for stream, it is the same as been posted here.

My guess is this is the first part of a merge between Stream and via Internet, or getting rid of stream entirely.

This is what it says on DirecTV‘s TOS for both Satellite and via internet-

Effective as of November 7, 2023, until replaced.

These Terms apply to DIRECTV residential customers with Equipment. If You purchased the DIRECTV STREAM experience without Equipment, these Terms do not apply to You. You can find the DIRECTV STREAM terms here www.directv.com/stream-tose.

Then if you hit the link for stream, it is the same as been posted here.

My guess is this is the first part of a merge between Stream and via Internet, or getting rid of stream entirely.
I just think there idiots and have the wrong terms in the wrong spot.. Not the first time there website has been a dumpster fire

I just think there idiots and have the wrong terms in the wrong spot.. Not the first time there website has been a dumpster fire
I have been hearing rumors they plan on merging the two for a while now, since the price is just about the same, no reason to have both and confuse people.

I have been hearing rumors they plan on merging the two for a while now, since the price is just about the same, no reason to have both and confuse people.
I heard that also... And while they probably dont care since the plan is to sell off the system asap.. if they "merge" legacy stream into the internet model. they will lose a ton of people

I expect if they change the offering for "via internet" and "stream BYOD" they will just retire the stream BYOD option. That would force new customers to the traditional pricing model with an intro rate, 2 year contract, $15 advanced receiver fee, and a free piece of hardware. That $15 ARS for perpetuity is a major motivation for that possible change. If they feel they'll still capture a certain amount of new customers versus what they would lose by dropping the stream BYOD option they would make that change as $15/month for as long as they remain a customer is purely profit. Plus potential RSN fee if on Choice, though that isn't as profitable as the ARS fee as they have the cost for the programming.

Now that said, a savvy customer can get the two year price lock, a gift card offer, pony up the $15 ARS for two years, then cancel, rinse & repeat under a spouse or partners name for multi-people households. Pricing wise it comes out very similar to the BYOD cost if you factor it over two years. Depending on the gift card amount, it may actually be just a bit cheaper if you factor in potential price increase at the one year mark.

Anyway, it sure would be easier for new customers to understand if there was only one model, regardless of how ugly they make that model.