New to antennas, please help!

Dinfusion

Original poster
Oct 18, 2013
Carrollton, tx
Here is my tv fool report

If that doesn't work the zip is 75006.

Would prefer indoor door or attic. Have good attic space above garage which the TV is on the inside wall of that garage. The direction you sit when facing the tv is exactly 180 degrees (due south). There is an old dish on the roof pointed south. I could use as a mast if outdoors was necessary.

Mainly looking to to pick up the locals in HD. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
dang you got a variety there of channels ;)

really you could get by with a HBU22 or HBU33 antenna. That is VHF Hi and UHF. When I had my house in Minneapolis I was 30 miles from the towers and had a HBU33. Worked really well

The HBU22 is maybe 5 feet long and the 33 is 7 feet long

dang you got a variety there of channels ;)

really you could get by with a HBU22 or HBU33 antenna. That is VHF Hi and UHF. When I had my house in Minneapolis I was 30 miles from the towers and had a HBU33. Worked really well

The HBU22 is maybe 5 feet long and the 33 is 7 feet long

thanks! Would you aim it at all the channels to the south? I'm guessing an antenna that big needs to be on the roof? I only have a one story house.

in the short term is there an indoor antenna that would get me the locals? FOX, ABC, NBC and CBS? I'm new to the UHF/VHF info and haven't fully read up yet.

Last edited:
I'd try a Winegard HD-1080 for your attic. In South Carrolton you are going to be aiming at the broadcast towers on Cedar Hill where virtually all of the Dallas broadcasters are located. You are going to be aiming South to slightly West of South. The HD-1080 is working for me 60 miles North of the towers, with a little signal loss through the roof it should still work in your attic. If you shop the internet check out Solid Signal they had a refurbed HD-1080 for $29.95 plus shipping.

Radio Shack has the HBU22 & 33 but if you get it online you can save a bunch of money

I've purchased both from solid signal (solidsignal.com)

I was only asking because i was worried the HBU22 might not be enough and wanted an easy return to get the 33 if that was the case. But amazon (via solidsignal) has the HBU22 fro $25.97.

Can i use the cord that already runs from the dish pole inside the house or is it best to run new cable. if new, what is the best location to get good quality good priced cable?

I was only asking because i was worried the HBU22 might not be enough and wanted an easy return to get the 33 if that was the case. But amazon (via solidsignal) has the HBU22 fro $25.97.

Can i use the cord that already runs from the dish pole inside the house or is it best to run new cable. if new, what is the best location to get good quality good priced cable?
If it is coax cable you should be able to reuse it if it is flat lead forget about it. Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Radio Shack should have 50' lengths, in that short a length there isn't going to be that much of a savings. HBU22 should work in the attic it is just a question of size. Mount a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" PVC pipe to a rafter with a couple of screws then slide the antenna up as high as you can. Stay away from electric lines or metal air conditioning ducts to maximize signals.

With the Dish cable, just make sure it does not pass through any Dish switches, they do not pass RF TV frequencies ordinarily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts