New to C-Band

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Got the dish today. It wasn't to bad to take apart. It fit in the van and now it's in my shed. Step 1 complete.

welcome to the FTA 12 step program

1. Get a dish
2. Get the reciever and the rest (sometimes step 1 & 2 are together)
3. set up system
4. Verify system is working
5. Jump up and down
6. start blind scanning away
7. get the itch to get a 2nd dish
8. You start twitching waiting for a blind scan to finish
9. You get a 2nd box
10. You keep adding dishes and reicevers
11. You post here constantly
12. You realize you have a FTA addiction :D

I'm planning the next step. I need a pole to set this thing into. What do need to consider to determine what I should get? Can I put this thing into the ground myself?

Oh forgot to mention - I called a local installer and he quoted $1000 for intallation. Unbelievable!!

I got another question. Do I need a special LNBF to get 4dtv? Can I use the one that came with the dish I got?

Does the LNB have 3 wires coming off of it (red white & black maybe)? If so, that is to control polarity and the older boxes (analog & 4DTV) will control it. Otherwise the newer LNBF's work easier (in my opinion) and only need one wire (the cable connection)

I haven't looked at the LNB yet because i have another issue to resolve. I need a steel pipe that's 4" iner lip to inner lip and 4 1/2" outer lip to outer lip. I have a call out to some people to get one. Any ideas on where to look to find a cheap one. i was quoted $300 for a new one. Please help.

ken

I haven't looked at the LNB yet because i have another issue to resolve. I need a steel pipe that's 4" iner lip to inner lip and 4 1/2" outer lip to outer lip. I have a call out to some people to get one. Any ideas on where to look to find a cheap one. i was quoted $300 for a new one. Please help.

ken
$300 is pretty steep, but a steel pipe that size is going to cost a pretty penny new. I've had a little luck going to local scrap yards/salvage yards. You'll have to take a tape measure and find the pipe yourself, and cut it to your length if it's too long/bent. That method can yield you a suitable pole for well under $30 - $50.

we usually check scrap and salvage yards . another thought is to get a cheap pipe that is smaller and sleeve it with a small section of the correct size pipe and have it welded.

Great ideas, Not sure which one I'll look into first. Thanks guys. This is an adventure!!!

.... need a steel pipe that's 4" iner lip to inner lip and 4 1/2" outer lip to outer lip. I have a call out to some people to get one. Any ideas on where to look to find a cheap one. i was quoted $300 for a new one....

Ken:

Call the scrap dealers. What you want is --- 4" Schedule 40 Black Pipe --- they sell it by the pound, just like hamburger. They may or may not cut it for you, so be prepared to buy it extra long or be ready to cut it. Welding and machine shops sometimes have "drops" (leftovers from long pieces) but they don't sell them cheap.

It's common and should be easily found. It'll be rusty and may have residue of a chemical or remains of a chemical process inside. Be careful and don't mess with anything that may be inside.

Otherwise, wire brush it good on the outside, drill the bottom and put a couple of bolts with nuts thru it (so it won't turn in the concrete), and paint it with Rustolium. Sink it good and plumb about 3 feet in the ground with as much Sackcrete as you can afford and don't worry about it again. If you don't have it perfectly plumb or don't use Sackcrete, it'll be a problem forever or the rest of your life here on earth.

Harold

I got to the scrapyard today. I got my pole. I tried it out and it's a perfect fit.
Now I gotta get it in the ground. Oh by the way - $20.

Ken

Strange development today. Skyangel now carries the Gospel Music Channel! Which the main channel I wanted to get with the big dish. Hmmm..........desicions desicions.

I notice there is a Gospel Music Channel and it's on C-band and 4dtv (Digicipher2) on G11 (I think), which is what you were talking about before, and then theres Gospel Music TV on AMC4 ku-band. They are not the same channel. Maybe that's what you wanted all along. You can get it with a 30" dish.

Al

Update. I put everything on hold because I want to try Sky Angel's IPTV service. Turns out I can get SA and high speed internet and a landline phone for not much more than I am already paying. I should be getting t soon so I can evaluate it then.

Ken

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)