New to C-Band

Status
Please reply by conversation.
yeah finding a satellite can be frustrating but it isn't super hard
aiming the dish and tuning the satellite with a finder is probably quicker for a installer , most of us just use the receiver & tv as opposed to spending 2 or 300 on a good finder.

so with that said i think most anyone here can walk you through setting up a c-band dish or ku dish with little problems.

the best thing to finding an older unused c-band dish locally is its mostlikely already setup just might need to tweak it a bit. maybe update a lnb.
cost is low , shipping is low ( since your doing it) and setup is low ( since your doing it)

Thanks Iceberg. Iceberg, you mentioned a 6 foot dish is needed. Is that 6 feet tall? (sorry if the questions seem silly but I just don't know this stuff). I was told that I need a 1.8 dish to do what I want. What's 1.8 mean?

Thanks Iceberg. Iceberg, you mentioned a 6 foot dish is needed. Is that 6 feet tall? (sorry if the questions seem silly but I just don't know this stuff). I was told that I need a 1.8 dish to do what I want. What's 1.8 mean?

1.8 would be in meters (1.8m is 6 feet)

The dish is about 7 feet tall tops.

Hmm..lots to think about. I gotta go to bed now. I'll be back. :)

CBand

I'm back, and I've gotten started on hunting down a dish. There is a local radio show here that sells/swaps items that callers make available. I called up and said i'm looking for a 6 ft dish and i got 4 calls right away!! One dish that I may get is a Unidyne (spelling may be wrong). Can i use this old unidyne dish with a reciver that accepts the Digicipher II mode? I'm excited about trying this project!

Awesome, thanks iceberg. Next what should i look for when i look at this used dish? Any signs that it may not work right? I'm trying to get the owner to test it out first before I take it. Also it's cband can it work for both C and Ku?

go out and look at them , take a camera and take some shots
will post a link to some other threads later on the do's and don'ts
but there are some threads on what to look for here on site

good luck

well it depends on how much money you are willing to spend. it cost me 400 dollars to get my setup which is an used 8 ft c band dish,a 40 inch ku dish,a chap monterey analog receiver,and a pansat 2700 digital receiver. i am currently getting around 1300 free channels with my setup. if you want to dish out the big bucks you can pay 2000 to 2500 for a 12 ft dish with a c and ku band feedhorn,a 4dtv, and a digital free to air receiver, with this setup you will be receiving channels from all 3 formats and have a pro installer set up your system, there are some serious dish guys that put a dish up in every direction, east,west,north,and south to get virtually all sats up there in the other countries as well as the states. a setup like that can run you about 5000 or so and cost for someone to cut down trees. it is an addictive hobby! good luck!

Quick and Dirty

I'm very close to getting a system to my home. I'm not sure where to put it. I have searched the forums but does anyone know of a quick and dirty way that I can at least approximate if I have an adequate spot on my land to pick up c-band satellites?

Ken

Um, there might be a slight problem

Just tuned the big (well 6 footer) dish to G11 and get a couple free channels (paid program type stuff) and Bloomberg...when I go to 802 I get

GMC and the dreaded "please contact your provider to subscribe"

so it doesn't look like its free

I assume you used a 4dtv reciever? Anyone out there able to confirm what iceberg found?

yep it was the trusty 905 (digital 4DTV sidecar)....got other channel on there that are free but 802 gave me that message :(

Had good signal too (+5.8 on the diagnostic C ebno menu)

Everywhere I see it listed it says it's free. I wonder what's up. I am still a BUD man, there's other stations I want like TLN, JCTV, TBN. I won't get them anymore when Skyangel changes there service.

TLN is really cool. There are 5 different feeds.
Sky Angel
TLN cable
3 local stations they own

Lyngsat sometimes is out of date. The owner is across the Atlantic so he can't see our satellites here and relies on people sending updates

Status
Please reply by conversation.