New to DirecTV, questions about upgrading HD receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Devil24

Proud Supporter of SatelliteGuys.US
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 3, 2005
Houston, TX
Hi guys, just signed up for DTV a couple of days ago.

I'm getting an HR20 directly from DTV, but today, I picked up a brand new/sealed/non-refurb H10 from a store closeout sale. My question is, since I *own* this new receiver, can I work something out with DirecTV and upgrade it to an H20 or a second HR20? do they normally offer good deals for stuff like this? if they allow me to upgrade, will I own the new unit or will I be leasing it?

I called DTV tonight but got a guy who could barely speak english and just made me waste 15 minutes and didn't anwered my question.

You bought an out of date almost useless receiver, you're stuck with it. If you want a new MPEG4 receiver you can lease a H20 for a $99 upgrade fee or a HR20 for a $299 upgrade fee. The H10 will receive SD/OTA and the few MPEG2 HD channels so buyer beware.

Also to add what boba said many people are able to call D* and get many of these upgrades for free.

And to answer your question on if you will own the upgraded unit or will it be a lease, it will be a lease.

If you go ahead and activate that receiver (H10) and then wait 6 months, D* will probably give you the HR20 as an upgrade for handling costs only ($20). They are always willing to deal with customers, but like to keep it to every 6 months or so. And you will likely need to extend your existing 2-year contract at that time.

You bought an out of date almost useless receiver, you're stuck with it. If you want a new MPEG4 receiver you can lease a H20 for a $99 upgrade fee or a HR20 for a $299 upgrade fee. The H10 will receive SD/OTA and the few MPEG2 HD channels so buyer beware.
In my market, where locals aren't offered, I'd gladly take an H10! OTA HD with Tivo software. I'm all for that. I realize they won't pick up MPEG 4, but not all my TV's are HD anyway. I don't know how much the OP paid, but I'd like to find a good deal.

In my market, where locals aren't offered, I'd gladly take an H10! OTA HD with Tivo software. I'm all for that. I realize they won't pick up MPEG 4, but not all my TV's are HD anyway. I don't know how much the OP paid, but I'd like to find a good deal.

The H10 is a non DVR unit just like the H20.

If you want a HD tuner for non HDTV search on Ebay for a Samsung SIR TS360 or a HUGHES HTL-HD Directv receiver. These don't even need to be connected to a D* dish and they will tune OTA, work well with the D* white universal remotes. These if you are a good shopper should be available for about $50.:)

I paid a measly $20 for it, so no big deal.

I'll try to get DTV to offer me a decent upgrade deal, but in the meantime, I guess I can hang onto it and just use it as a SD/OTA receiver.

I paid a measly $20 for it, so no big deal.

I'll try to get DTV to offer me a decent upgrade deal, but in the meantime, I guess I can hang onto it and just use it as a SD/OTA receiver.
As an OTA HD receiver you got a bargin a new ATSC Tuner/receiver would cost a dealer $130-150 wholesale.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts