New to DirecTV's offerings...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
First, let me say that I have Dish Network and have had Dish Network for several years. I am fine with their offerings and I love the HD-DVR (622/722) for ease of use, external USB, etc.

However, my Dad is in the market for a satellite TV system. He just bought a 52" Sony XBR4 and he needs to feed it HD (other than Blu-Ray).

Here are some questions I have about DirecTV:

• How is their HD-DVR? Is it easy to use? I remember they use to have HDTivo, but I know it's gone now. Any comparisons to E*'s HD-DVR?
  • Does their HD-DVR support external USB storage?
  • I didn't notice a mention of an OTA tuner here. Is there one or do we have to record locals that are only available from DirecTV? I'm concerned that I can't record three shows and watch a fourth.
  • Since they've launched their new satellites and are providing more HD content, did they also step up their HD quality for the existing channels? HD-Lite was killing DirecTV there for a couple of years.
  • How many receivers can one account have? What's the limit?
  • Does DirecTV have a better start-up promotion going than Dish Network at the moment? I am very familiar with the Dish Network start-up promotion that ends Jan. 31.

Thanks,

How is their HD-DVR? Is it easy to use? I remember they use to have HDTivo, but I know it's gone now. Any comparisons to E*'s HD-DVR?
I just got an HR20 after having the HR10 (HDTiVo) fro a couple years. It's not bad, but I still prefer the TiVo version due to the fact that I haven't figured out how to do all the advanced stuff I was able to do on the TiVo, like searching for movies on only the channels in my favorite channels list. I've never used the E* HD-DVR so I can't compare

Does their HD-DVR support external USB storage?
I don't believe they do at the present time, but it has both a USB port and an SATA port on the back, so maybe that's a future software upgrade

I didn't notice a mention of an OTA tuner here. Is there one or do we have to record locals that are only available from DirecTV? I'm concerned that I can't record three shows and watch a fourth.
The HR20 has a tuner, but the HR21 does not. I don't know if you can tell them which one you want when you order. They can only record two shows at once and you can only watch one of the two shows being recorded or a previous recording or VOD via the Internet.

Since they've launched their new satellites and are providing more HD content, did they also step up their HD quality for the existing channels? HD-Lite was killing DirecTV there for a couple of years.
I've never really notice a huge difference between the OTA vs. satellite HD signals, but I'm not that picky

How many receivers can one account have? What's the limit?
No limit

I'll expand on these a bit.

How is their HD-DVR? Is it easy to use? I remember they use to have HDTivo, but I know it's gone now. Any comparisons to E*'s HD-DVR?
I just got an HR20 after having the HR10 (HDTiVo) fro a couple years. It's not bad, but I still prefer the TiVo version due to the fact that I haven't figured out how to do all the advanced stuff I was able to do on the TiVo, like searching for movies on only the channels in my favorite channels list. I've never used the E* HD-DVR so I can't compare.

I would say that the HR20/21's probably are not as user friendly as the 622 and 722 but they are not bad either and are improving with updates pretty consistently.

Does their HD-DVR support external USB storage?
I don't believe they do at the present time, but it has both a USB port and an SATA port on the back, so maybe that's a future software upgrade.
You can add external hard drive but that is your storage then. It will not store on the original hard drive on the DVR just on your external. Most people have hooked up 750 GB or 1TB. Must be eSATA not USB. There is no charge for this unlike with Dish.

I didn't notice a mention of an OTA tuner here. Is there one or do we have to record locals that are only available from DirecTV? I'm concerned that I can't record three shows and watch a fourth.
The HR20 has a tuner, but the HR21 does not. I don't know if you can tell them which one you want when you order. They can only record two shows at once and you can only watch one of the two shows being recorded or a previous recording or VOD via the Internet.

The HR21 will have an add on OTA tuner shortly. I believe they said February. The cost is to be $59. Not sure what they will do when you request it whether they will give it free or give programming credits instead.

Since they've launched their new satellites and are providing more HD content, did they also step up their HD quality for the existing channels? HD-Lite was killing DirecTV there for a couple of years.
I've never really notice a huge difference between the OTA vs. satellite HD signals, but I'm not that picky

How many receivers can one account have? What's the limit?
No limit
Not really a limit but they will get suspicious at about 6 receivers and whether they are located all in the same home.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I can make an education decision about hardware now.

I'd really like to know about picture quality on DirecTV now with the new sats in the sky.

You're going to hear both ways on the PQ. As far as I can tell D*'s picture quality is very good. Just a reminder. I edited my post above. The HD-DVR can only use an eSATA external hard drive, not a usb.

You're going to hear both ways on the PQ. As far as I can tell D*'s picture quality is very good. Just a reminder. I edited my post above. The HD-DVR can only use an eSATA external hard drive, not a usb.

I disagree.

DirecTV still has a handful of MPEG2 HD channels (ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, Discovery HD Theater, HDNet, HDNet Movies, HBOHD, ShowtimeHD, UniversalHD). The picture quality of those may be less than you'd see on Dish.

The remainder of the more than 100 channels of HD (including RSNs and their alternates) are MPEG4. These are unsurpassed anywhere. The quality rivals OTA on these. If you like HBO or Showtime, their west coast HD feeds are both MPEG4 and are considerably better than the east coast MPEG2 feed.

The standard definition channels may be slightly worse than Dish's SD channels. I do not watch enough standard definition programming to have an opinion on it.

The standard definition channels may be slightly worse than Dish's SD channels. I do not watch enough standard definition programming to have an opinion on it.

And that's no easy task. :D The E* SD channels are
sick.gif

I disagree.

DirecTV still has a handful of MPEG2 HD channels (ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, Discovery HD Theater, HDNet, HDNet Movies, HBOHD, ShowtimeHD, UniversalHD). The picture quality of those may be less than you'd see on Dish.

The remainder of the more than 100 channels of HD (including RSNs and their alternates) are MPEG4. These are unsurpassed anywhere. The quality rivals OTA on these. If you like HBO or Showtime, their west coast HD feeds are both MPEG4 and are considerably better than the east coast MPEG2 feed.

Greg,
Are you comparing D*'s Mpeg 2 to E*'s Mpeg 2 or 4 ?
If your comparing D*'s mpeg 2 channels to E's mpeg4 , how is that an even comparison ?

You mentioned the channels that are still in mpeg2 on D*, not many left, but there are some (other than the SD) , are you comparing those channels to E's counterparts,also in MPEG2 ?

Jimbo

Greg,
Are you comparing D*'s Mpeg 2 to E*'s Mpeg 2 or 4 ?
If your comparing D*'s mpeg 2 channels to E's mpeg4 , how is that an even comparison ?

You mentioned the channels that are still in mpeg2 on D*, not many left, but there are some (other than the SD) , are you comparing those channels to E's counterparts,also in MPEG2 ?

Jimbo

I'm ignoring the MPEG2 vs MPEG4 formats because customers do not have a choice to have one or the other from the same provider. I am contending that anything DirecTV offers in MPEG4 is far superior to anything Dish has. MPEG2 HD channels on DirecTV seem to be comparable without much discernible difference in either direction. I do not wash enough SD programming to compare either.

I am trying to be as objective as possible. Obviously, I prefer DirecTV as they get my business.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts