New to Dish. Hopper is ignoring "stop 3 minutes after"

craiger88

Original poster
May 27, 2012
United States
Hey guys, I am new to dish and to the forums. Hoping you can help me out. I have a hopper with no Joey's. I have several timers set up with all of them having the default of stoping 3 minutes after. So far, all have them have started 1 minute early, but ended right on time instead of 3 minutes late. Is there something I am missing? I searched and didn't find anything about this.

Welcome to the forum!

Is it possible that the extended recording time caused a scheduling conflict for your timers?

Thanks for the quick reply! Is this something it would warn me about or I would just have to try to figure out? I don't think it was in conflict. It looks like it may be happening when there is another recording on the same channel after it. Will it not just put those 3 minutes in both recordings?

I was going to ask if you are recording shows on the same channel back-to-back...the Hopper will try to record it so as to save you a tuner...if im not mistaken though you can extend it a little bit longer and it will take up 2 tuners to record

I guess it doesn't record the same content twice. Since those three minutes are being recorded by your second timer, the first one skips them.

Ok so I will have to find the next show to watch the last minute of the previous show? That is a little frustrating since they have it recorded, they should just tack it on to both recordings. oh well. Thanks for the help! Loving most everything else. MUCH better than comcast.

Edit: OR automatically lead in to the next show like PTAT.

This also happens to me. Last night, I recorded "The Killing" on AMC, followed by "Mad Men" and "The Pitch". Each show immediately follows the former. I had no other recordings scheduled during the time period (Including the one minute before/three minutes after padding.) The hopper used The same tuner to record all three programs, resulting in the first 30 seconds or so of the new show being recorded on the previous show's recording. The two other tuners remained available. It ignored the padding instructions even though two other tuners were available.

Is there any way to tell the Hopper to use the available tuners so this doesn't happen?

While I'm not one of the engineers at Dish, I can't help but think this little loop/bug is partially intentional. The box will ignore the padding to conserve tuners if sequential shows are being recorded on the same channel. Its not quite as simple as you would think to just copy/paste the overlap time between 2 videos. Each recording is stored as a single file. Think of it as trying to add lyrics to the beginning/end of a mp3 file that you already have saved.
PTAT is stored a little different. Think more like a DVD with chapters. The pause timer bar only shows the timer for that chapter, hence why it automatically rolls into the next show.
As for over throwing the "conserve tuners" rule inside the receiver, I have not seen any way of doing that so far. I do know a lot of channels like AMC will recycle a 3-ish hour block especially on new episode nights. During the Walking Dead season I had multiple conflicts, but the hopper would catch the second run of the new episode as it still had a new episode tag (I assume it looks at original air date vs current date for this).

Sent from my SCH-I800 using SatelliteGuys

That is the way it's designed. The default padding is dropped and a single tuner is used to avoid conflicts. If you want to use separate tuners for back to back shows INCREASE the padding and it will not be dropped. (5 minutes late will do it) Doing so may cause recording conflicts making you miss some recordings.

Thanks for both responses. I'll increase the padding for instances like what I described above. My old DirecTV boxes would always use an open tuner for the next recording with the default padding.

Try 2 minutes before / 2 minutes after. That works well on my ViP receiver at least for forcing the other tuner use. You just have to be more cogizant about resolving conflicts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts