New to Dish, Hopper Price Questions

TARad

Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
Indianapolis
So I will soon be making the switch to Dish from Uverse, and I am pretty excited (partially because of how awful Uverse has been recently :p ). However, I do have some questions that I'd like info about before calling and ordering. I always like to have as much info as possible rather than going into a sales call completely blind.

I am considering a Two Hopper/One Joey system. As a new customer I understand that one hopper/joey system is free, but I seem to find different prices for the other hopper ranging from $50 to $200. What is right? And is it possible to get it all for free depending on the sales rep? I know that with Comcast/Uverse different reps would give better deals, depending on what type of mood they were in and how nice you were to them. I would just go with One hopper/two joeys, but the wife has a few non-local channel shows that record at the same time on the same night, so sadly that option is out.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
The price seems to depend on what the csr deems it to be after running your credit rating. Different one's may give you a different price. However, the $200 price has not been charged for several months from what I understand. Either way $50 or $100 isn't bad, but don't expect to get the second Hopper for free (no new customer is given that deal). Also, Dish will set you up with a 2H/2J system, but you can tell the installer you only want one Joey when he shows up to do the installation.

I would agree that for a three TV set up. Go with the two Hopper/one Joey set up. We have that set up and tuner issues are never a issue and with Hoppers being able to share recordings it's a great way to go. Plus if anything ever happens to one Hooper you can still watch tv on the other Hopper where as if you just have one Hopper if something happens no tv until the issue is resolved

Welcome to Dish and to the site, there is great information here to help you!

The second Hopper should cost you $99 upfront. The rest should all be free for you. Trust me, the $99 is well worth getting a second Hopper.

Thanks for the quick answers all! It's good to hear that the two Hopper setup is the way to go. It sounded like the right (and slightly more logical) choice, but I really am glad that you all agree. And $99 isn't bad at all, especially if everything else won't cost anything.

Thanks for the quick answers all! It's good to hear that the two Hopper setup is the way to go. It sounded like the right (and slightly more logical) choice, but I really am glad that you all agree. And $99 isn't bad at all, especially if everything else won't cost anything.
But REMEMBER YOU ARE ONLY LEASING DISH STILL OWNS ALL EQUIPMENT.

But REMEMBER YOU ARE ONLY LEASING DISH STILL OWNS ALL EQUIPMENT.

With Dish you always have the option of buying the equipment, but you get no price break on monthly fees. The only advantage to owning a receiver is the ability to turn it on and off at will (I have ones that I only turn on in the guest rooms when I have guests).

With Dish you always have the option of buying the equipment, but you get no price break on monthly fees. The only advantage to owning a receiver is the ability to turn it on and off at will (I have ones that I only turn on in the guest rooms when I have guests).

And being able to sell them if they are still worth anything should you decide to leave.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts