New to Dish in January 05

sam6405

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2004
I called Dish several days ago and ordered a 510/322 as a new customer. My scheduled install date is January 8th (Digital Dish must be really busy in my area). Anyway my questions are.

How does the 322 hook up to my second tv? The rep on the phone said it was a coax cable and from what I understand on the pdf on the website it is a coax cable but is it only channels 21-69 on the second tv? Or do they all work via the uhf remote?

Second Question: (If it is a coax cable to TV2) From my understanding the 322 will have two satellite feeds coming into it and two going out. One out going to TV1 and another to TV2. Is the out going to TV2 going back to some kind of switch before it goes to TV2 or directaly to TV2.

I live in my apartment, so I am thinking in terms of having the least amount of holes in the wall as possible.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US, sam6405! :)

TV2 simply operates via a direct coax connection, from the receiver, directly to it (or through splitters in the wall, etc.). This coax is carrying one modulated signal, which you select to be put out on a channel in the range 21-69. That one channel displays the receiver's output, with whatever channel is being watched (just like everything else's Ch. 3/4 functions).

Unless of course you use the TV2 A/V connections on the back of the receiver (if the TV is closer for example).

Thanks TuxCoder that makes alot more sense now. Kinda was I was thinking but I was not sure. Can't wait until January!

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

I also live in an apartment (well, a 2 story townhouse) and I know how you feel about wanting to limit what is drilled into the apartment.

I have 6 lines ran into my apartment, 2 on the 1st floor and 4 on the second. My installer used flat coax pieces to run them all through my windows. I can close the windows on these and it won't affect my signal or quality at all.

SimpleSimon said:
Why a 510 ad not the 522??? Same price, extra tuner!

If I go ahead and ask for the 522 are they going to want me to hook it up to a second tv?

Neutron said:
Welcome to Satelliteguys!!

I also live in an apartment (well, a 2 story townhouse) and I know how you feel about wanting to limit what is drilled into the apartment.

I have 6 lines ran into my apartment, 2 on the 1st floor and 4 on the second. My installer used flat coax pieces to run them all through my windows. I can close the windows on these and it won't affect my signal or quality at all.

My landlord doesn't have a problem with the dish or the holes in the wall it's just my personal preference. I can't wait until I buy a house (hopefully sometime next year) so I can just go ahead and do a home distribution system when I move in.

Would it benefit me to go ahead and call to get a 522 instead of a 510?

My intial thought process was I would do a 522 on the main big screen in the living room, using just the one tuner and then a 322 for the bedroom & kids room upstairs.>This is what I ordered intially.

I then called and changed it to a 510 in the living room and the 322 in the bedroom and kids room.> Currentaly what they are suppose to install.

I am now thinking I do a 522 for the Living room and bedroom, and then a 301 for the kids room. (not sure about having an acutal receiver in that room?) or I could go back to the first option listed above.

Somebody help me.

Bizzach said:
If nothing else, you can use the 522 for PIP on your one big TV.... :)

That is kind of what I was thinking. You could even get two 522s and use one in single mode on your big tv being able to record one thing and watch another at the same time (I'm pretty sure you can do this now) and use the other 522 for the bedroom and the kids room and have DVR capabilities. However, unless you hooked a phone line up to each 522 there would be a $10/month charge each instead of $5/month each. And on the 522 used for the bedroom and the kids room you probably wouldn't want to record any non-kids-rated programs because I'm pretty sure you can access the DVR recordings from either tv.

I called today and asked for the 522 with my existing 322 as long as I keep them both hooked up to a phone line my bill did not Change. DBS & Name based recording here I come.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)