New to dish network and about to subscribe

Zagor

Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I have had both cable (time warner) and directv and I have now decided to try dish. I have two TVs but not sure if I need two receivers. I would like a two tuner HD DVR for my main TV but not sure if I need a second HD box. If there was a way to watch recorded shows (in HD) from the DVR on the second TV then I would not need a second box. If the cost was reasonable I woudn't mind a second HD receiver (DVR not required). Also, is the free slingbox promotion still going on? I wouldn't mind that either. Anyway, any recommendations are welcomed. Also, do I order from the website or should I contact a local installer?

Thanks

I strongly suggest you contact one of the Dish Network representatives that are on here. They will be the best way to get exactly what you want. Since you only have one post, you can not contact them, they will have to contact you. I will see if I can alert one of them to send you a message.

The Sling Adapter promotion is good through January 2012. If you have 2 HDTV's and you wanted both to have an HD picture then you would need the additional HD receiver for the second TV. Our HD Duo receivers supply the first TV an HD connection and TV 2 would be connected by a coax cable. We do have some different options for your second TV. A solo HD DVR receiver is an additional $10 per month, for just an HD receiver with no DVR is only $7 per month. If you want more specifics just send me a PM and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have!

Thanks for the info. I like your setup Bobby. I also remember reading something about adding an external hard drive for a one time setup fee of $40 and turn it into a single tuner DVR is that still available? I assume the recorded shows can only be watched at their respective TVs. Will the slingbox allow you to stream in HD on your local network? Is the software compatible with windows media center?

The $40 external hard drive activation is available but only if you were to get a ViP211/211k or a 411 model receiver. If you are planning on getting a ViP722/722k plus an additional receiver our ViP612 receiver is a Solo HD DVR receiver that is only $10 per month, but the benifit of that receiver is that it has 2 tuners. You are able to stream HD on your home network. Windows Media Center is not supported by the Dish Remote Access through Dish Online.

Last edited:
a single Dish network box can feed both TV's HD signals. They will be mirrored images so what ever is on TV 1 will be on TV 2. Most Techs will not connect this up for you this way. There are several options for connecting TV 2 for HD, either a HDMI splitter or matrix will work allowing for HDMI cables to be used to each TV. They also have HDMI to cat5 video blauns that will allow you to use cat5/cat6 lines to run to the tv(s). Or you can always use the comp. cables to TV1 and run HDMI to TV 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts