New to DISH, shoutout to DishStore .. a few questions

ochie927

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
illinois
First of all, would like to thank the people from DishStore for helping me out and making the transfer from Comcast to Dish pretty painless so far, also to satelliteguys for the referral. They really do have a better deal than ordering straight from the Dish website.

A few questions I have that the installer mentioned that I haven't thought would be an issue..first off, the installer told me that our dish had to be facing southeast because our building was blocking the southwest "view". I was fine with that. I didn't really care where it was facing since I didn't even know where it was supposed to be facing to begin with. All was okay until towards the end of the install when I asked if I decide to order international channels down the road, would the dish need to be replaced? He said, since the dish was facing southeast, there is a chance that I might not get international channels. He said that there are channels that the southwest satellite has that the southeast doesn't have. Would someone confirm this? And if this is true, what channels are they?

Also, I have the 722k and when I asked about getting a sling adapter in the future and what I needed to do when they come in, he told me I don't have to since he connected my 722 to the internet, that I can go ahead and watch on my phone.The sling is only needed if I don't have internet and I want to access the shows on my phone.

This installer, although nice, really made me even more confused. :confused::confused: I have read the forums and what he says is "a little off" from what I am gathering. Is the sling really as simple as plugging it in the 722, downloading the dish remote access for my mobile device and accessing it from there?

Most international channels are on an unusual satellite for Dish: an FSS sat at 118.7W longitude requiring a 500+ dish. There are a few international channels left on 61.5, but I gather they too are headed to 118.7. So, if you have no LOS to 118.7, then you are out of luck on getting international channels in the future. Even if you do have LOS, this requires a different plus-size dish in addition to your 1000.4 on Eastern Arc.

As for the Sling Adapter, yes it is that easy if you buy or get one for free. (They are about to become free w/gift card to new or existing customers.) You require a Sling Adapter to watch any content on your 722 remotely. The bare 722 connected to the Internet will not do that.

First off, he must have install an Eastern Arc dish which is why your dish is facing southeast. If it was facing southwest, you would be on the western arc. Either way, as long as you have your locals, it doesn't matter which arc you are on, you will not lose any channels. However, if you ever decide to order internationals, since you are on Eastern Arc, you would need a second "wing" dish facing southwest installed because all the internationals are on one satellite on the western arc (118.7). As for sling, you do need the sling adapter. I think the installer got confused between sling and video on demand. Yes your 722k is connected to the internet so you can watch all kinds of VOD movies from the internet at home, but if you want to watch TV from anywhere else like your laptop or from your smartphone, then you do need the sling adapter.

First off, he must have install an Eastern Arc dish which is why your dish is facing southeast. If it was facing southwest, you would be on the western arc. Either way, as long as you have your locals, it doesn't matter which arc you are on, you will not lose any channels. However, if you ever decide to order internationals, since you are on Eastern Arc, you would need a second "wing" dish facing southwest installed because all the internationals are on one satellite on the western arc (118.7). As for sling, you do need the sling adapter. I think the installer got confused between sling and video on demand. Yes your 722k is connected to the internet so you can watch all kinds of VOD movies from the internet at home, but if you want to watch TV from anywhere else like your laptop or from your smartphone, then you do need the sling adapter.

Either that or he was also confused with the ability to manage your DVR with DRA - that does not require the Sling Adapter. Welcome to the DISH family, ochie927! :) And if I were you I would get the Sling Adapter - its really simple to hook up and the convenience is amazing.

Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate your informative replies. @obsidious, yes i heard it's amazing. How has it been recently? I've been reading the reviews on the AppStore and I'm surprised a lot of people are giving it a very low rating. I'm talking about the Dish Remote Access app which I think I need to use with the sling.

ochie927 said:
Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate your informative replies. @obsidious, yes i heard it's amazing. How has it been recently? I've been reading the reviews on the AppStore and I'm surprised a lot of people are giving it a very low rating. I'm talking about the Dish Remote Access app which I think I need to use with the sling.

The dish remote access app allows, programming dvr to record and change channels on the reciever, you need tge slibg adapter to actually watch the programming remotely.

Unfortunately, techs get very little training on the sling adapter. At 630 in the morning, techs aren't really paying attention to a fast paced meeting.

The sling adapter is amazing. I love mine. I would advise to have your receiver hardwired and not connected to broadband via the sling link or wireless dongle. The sling link and the sling adapter are two different things. The sling adapter is what is used to send video to a remote device and or the web for viewing. The sling link is a device that is plugged into a home outlet (and your router) and uses the house wire to send a bb signal to your receiver. Complicated to describe, but just know when I say...have a cat5-cat6 line ran directly from your router to your receiver before considering a sling adapter. Just my opinion.

@Frank7004, My receiver and my router are about 3-4 feet away so I'm able to easily connect my receiver to my router. Thanks for the advice. I guess i'll just have to wait for the sling adapter to be free (per TheKrell) before I can get one. I really think the tech is confusing my model with his 922 because he said "all I do is connect mine to the internet and I'm able to watch shows on my phone wherever there is internet"

ochie927 said:
@Frank7004, My receiver and my router are about 3-4 feet away so I'm able to easily connect my receiver to my router. Thanks for the advice. I guess i'll just have to wait for the sling adapter to be free (per TheKrell) before I can get one. I really think the tech is confusing my model with his 922 because he said "all I do is connect mine to the internet and I'm able to watch shows on my phone wherever there is internet"

I think the adapter will be "free" very soon. ;)

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)