New to DISH

nyvram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
But I've been hanging around here and AVS for quite a while. I have an installer coming on Friday and I'm trying to be as prepared as possible since this is an out-of-town trip for me.

Here is what I've gathered thus far:

- If your dish points to satellite 129..make sure its 'peaked' properly because the satellite is ailing (falling out of orbit maybe?) and could result in break-ups of the signal. I noticed there's a page in the manual that shows you how to see the current 'signal strength' of your dish so it sounds like you should hang out with the installer & make sure that signal strength indicator is as strong as possible.

- If you buy a DVR plan now, you'll get a 622 which is decent, but on Aug 15 2007 in addition to the plans/specials changing, the 722 will come out which has at least 3 new features over 622: 1. 55 HD recording hours vs. 30, 2. ethernet/broadband connector instead of phone line, 3. HD VOD..622 only does VOD but not HD.

- The 622 dual-tuner scares me to death..I hope my parents are not totally confused by the UI of operating 2 TVs..if so we might just kill the second TV and forgo all the 'tv1/tv2' features for the sake of their sanity.

- Monroe gets SD locals via DISH $5/mo plan..but if we can tune OTA HD via antenna..I can drop that option perhaps and still record the HD via DVR?

- DISH is moving everything to MPG4 on Aug 15..thus freeing up the ability to store more HD (the shows will take up less room) and also to transmit another 15 HD channels using the freed up space requjired currently for MPG2. This is true at least of teh VOOM HD channels. Older DVR/recievers from DISH might not support MPG4 however so you might have to upgrade.

- I can't wait until Aug 15 to get the 722 b/c 1. I've arranged vacatino to Monroe for this weekend already and 2. The rates/plans/dvr rental cost may change on this date and I risk not getting the same deal as I am now..which basically FREE INSTALL, $49/mo for 20 months for 200 channels, locals & HD DVR....after 20 months, the price will increase by $20/mo but I'm guaranteed the rates are 'locked in' until Jan 2009 although we had to get an 18-month commitment to get that.

- The 622 dual-tuner scares me to death..I hope my parents are not totally confused by the UI of operating 2 TVs..if so we might just kill the second TV and forgo all the 'tv1/tv2' features for the sake of their sanity.

Welcome!

The 622 receiver is just as easy to use in the dual mode as any two individual receivers and has a ton of advantages. I used the 622 in the dual mode with the "share" and "record plus" turned off and no one in the house was confused. In that maner it acts like two separate and completly independent single-tuner receivers in one box. As you enable sharing features you will potentially start to run into confusing issues.

See ya
Tony

- Monroe gets SD locals via DISH $5/mo plan..but if we can tune OTA HD via antenna..I can drop that option perhaps and still record the HD via DVR?
If you drop the Dish locals, you lose the EPG for the OTA channels, and you can't use the guide to program your DVR. You'd need to set a timer for every show.

If you drop the Dish locals, you lose the EPG for the OTA channels, and you can't use the guide to program your DVR. You'd need to set a timer for every show.

Ah. Good to know. Ok, I'll keep it. Its just $5 anyway.

Welcome!

The 622 receiver is just as easy to use in the dual mode as any two individual receivers and has a ton of advantages. I used the 622 in the dual mode with the "share" and "record plus" turned off and no one in the house was confused. In that maner it acts like two separate and completly independent single-tuner receivers in one box. As you enable sharing features you will potentially start to run into confusing issues.

See ya
Tony

Any gotchas with the fact one of the TVs is not HD? WHat happens if they try to tune to "discovery HD" on the NTSC tv? Also..can the second TV be connected via RCA? The RF connector on it is fried so I don't think the 'split cable' will work unless I connect our old Replay to the second tv and use its tuner and "rca out" to th second tv.

One more question..I think I mentioned I set them up with AT&T DSL (dropped comcast $$ broadband) so the phone line already has a dongle on it..think there will be a problem having a 3-way splitter connected to the dongle? I would need one for the phone..one for the dsl..and one for the 622 'phone home' part.

How does the caller ID stuff work anyway? That looks extremely cool from the screenshots. :) ..oh..and what is the DEAL with the 622 manual split into 14 PDFs on the dish site??? I was going out of my mind yesterday trying to 'flip through' the manual..kept having to open different chapters as indivudal PDFs...VERY FRUSTRATING. I think I should call Dish and offer to 'stitch together' their 622 user guide into a single file.

nyvram, wondering how you got your $49/mo. rate for twenty months, I thought the current offer was for 10 months?

One more question..I think I mentioned I set them up with AT&T DSL (dropped comcast $$ broadband) so the phone line already has a dongle on it..think there will be a problem having a 3-way splitter connected to the dongle? I would need one for the phone..one for the dsl..and one for the 622 'phone home' part.
The DSL line comes out of it's own side of the dongle, and only connects to the DSL modem. A two port splitter on the other side of the dongle should work for both the phone and the 622.

The caller ID on the 622 works the same way as it does for your caller ID phone. You still need caller ID on your phone company account for it to work.

nyvram, wondering how you got your $49/mo. rate for twenty months, I thought the current offer was for 10 months?

Good question.

I kept the poor rep on the phone for almost 2 hours questions every single little legalese and fee. I wanted the 100/channel plan but she kept pushing the 200/channel plan.

Finally to talke me into the 200/channel plan she said she would add a "bouncy" rebate (don't ask me..thats what she called it) good for another $200/rebate or $20/mo for 10 months.

The first $200/off rebate we apply for after the installer comes out and would represet a "-$20" on each bill we get for the first 10 months.

This second one would have to be submitted to DISH around month #9 (don't forget!) so it would kick in by month 11 and would continue the "-$20" on each bill from month 11 - 20.

The DSL line comes out of it's own side of the dongle, and only connects to the DSL modem. A two port splitter on the other side of the dongle should work for both the phone and the 622.

The caller ID on the 622 works the same way as it does for your caller ID phone. You still need caller ID on your phone company account for it to work.

Good point. Can you tell I'm trying to do all this remotely? I will be in Monroe starting tomorrow so I won't have to resort to piecemeal PDFs and memory of what DSL dongles look like.

Can I insist they provide an HDMI cable when they come out?

One more question..how do I know if I am 'peaked' correctly? I saw someone say you needed to do it one-channel at a time. There's not just a simple 'best strength' indicator for the satellite in general? I want to make sure I know what is supposed to happen when the guy is at our house.

Last edited:
Good question.

I kept the poor rep on the phone for almost 2 hours questions every single little legalese and fee. I wanted the 100/channel plan but she kept pushing the 200/channel plan.

Finally to talke me into the 200/channel plan she said she would add a "bouncy" rebate (don't ask me..thats what she called it) good for another $200/rebate or $20/mo for 10 months.

The first $200/off rebate we apply for after the installer comes out and would represet a "-$20" on each bill we get for the first 10 months.

This second one would have to be submitted to DISH around month #9 (don't forget!) so it would kick in by month 11 and would continue the "-$20" on each bill from month 11 - 20.

That's AWESOME!! Can i have you negotiate my programming when I decide to sign up with Dish?!?! You think if I asked for a "bouncy" rebate, that they'd give it to me? Can you give me any details on your negotiating tactics?

Any gotchas with the fact one of the TVs is not HD?
The "gotcha" would only be if you had two HD TVs. The TV 2 tuner on the 622 is strictly SD and there is no HD output to TV 2.

WHat happens if they try to tune to "discovery HD" on the NTSC tv?

TV 2 would get Discovery HD via an SD signal. It looks better than the regular Dish channels. The signal is set up for a standard 4x3 TV so you have the choice of clopping out the sides or letterboxing the 9x16 picture.

This is a hidden "gotcha" if you have a 16x9 TV as TV 2. The TV 1 outputs (including RF) also have an "anamorphic" mode which squeezes the 9x16 picture to a 4x3 NTSC signal so you can stretch it out to "normal" on a 16x9 screen without additional resolution loss. It still astounds me that Dish hasn't fixed this issue for those of us with more than 1 16x9 set.

Also..can the second TV be connected via RCA? The RF connector on it is fried so I don't think the 'split cable' will work unless I connect our old Replay to the second tv and use its tuner and "rca out" to th second tv.
You have RCA compsite video out as well as S-Video out for TV 2 plus the RF out that includes both TV1 and TV2. And an added bonus, the RF out IS in MTS stereo and carries surround well.

No problem. I used to have my 622 hooked up to a 25' cable wich went around the room to a splitter where I had another phone and they were connected to a 50' cable whcih went to another splitter where I had another phone and that was connected to a self-installed jack which was then connected in parallel to another jack on the other floor. No problems! :)

How does the caller ID stuff work anyway? That looks extremely cool from the screenshots. :) ..oh..and what is the DEAL with the 622 manual split into 14 PDFs on the dish site??? I was going out of my mind yesterday trying to 'flip through' the manual..kept having to open different chapters as indivudal PDFs...VERY FRUSTRATING. I think I should call Dish and offer to 'stitch together' their 622 user guide into a single file.

Lol! Yes it's a big manual written for the very dense. :) Since the 622 has a ton of features, there's a lot of 'splainin' to do. :D

The Caller ID display is pretty nice EXCEPT when some one calls you at JUST the right momemt during the game. :) The display can easily be disabled and you can always look at the history using the menu feature.

Hope that answers your questions. Let me know if you have any more!

See ya
Tony < --- loves his 622

ps... The only complaint I have about the 622 orther than the lack of anamorphic option on TV2 is the fact that you cannot disable the enormous banner telling you that you lost OTA signal on a recording and some of the program was not recorded. After I see that once I don't ever need to see it again. It sometimes is more frustrating than loosing the signal due to multiphase (ghosts).

Thanks! Very good info. I hope everything goes well in the morning..any magic words I need to tell the installer to ensure everthting is peaked properly? Is there like a minimum signal strength threshold I should make sure we attain?

Sorry for the dumb questions..I feel like I'm only going to have a little time with the installer tomorrow & want to make sure I get the most out of him.

PS Regarding the 'bouncy' promotion..just tell whoever you talk to that someone mentioned it to you and you wanted to know if you could get it. I don't think you have to do too much to talk them into it.

What to look for... Well... I recently had an experience with my installer. Wednesday bad installers came and I essentially told them to get lost. Friday good installers came and they worked their buts off to get me great signal and did a great install.

So.. what to look for. First, don't be bullied into thinking that he only place the dish can go is on your front walk or over the front door! :)

I am certain that most installers are hard-working and want to do the best possible job for you. After my Wednesday experience, I would suggest you be with them on the site survey and discuss different possibilities for the dish or dishes. Ask them how they plan to run the cables to your receivers. Question what they tell you and make them answer your questions to your satisfaction. Make sure you have programming (or at least can see channels) from every satellite you need to see to get the channels you want BEFORE the intallers leave. Most good installers will do that anyway, but you never know. If you are getting a Dish 1000, look at the 9900 channel range to see that you have the "Dish 500" and "Dish 1000" channels. All they are are slates saying "congratulations, you have a dishxxxxx" There is also a 61.5° channel if you are getting two dishes.

Good luck!

Let us know what happens.

See ya
Tony

Attachments

• DSCN3251.JPG
    DSCN3251.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 121
Make sure you have programming (or at least can see channels) from every satellite you need to see to get the channels you want BEFORE the intallers leave.

To this advice I will add...do NOT sign the work order untill you checked everything is workin.

Make sure all receivers are working and getting sufficient signal.

Make sure they hookup your HDTV with something, HDMI or component. Have them setup your resolution in the HDTV menu for 720p or 1080i, and be sure you get HD video from one of your HD channels. Sometimes they leave it at the default 480p, but I think that since HD installs have become more common, that's less of a problem.

If you can get OTA digital TV in your area, maybe you could offer him some extra $ to install an OTA antenna.

So.... How'd it go? :)

see ya
Tony

Thanks for the cue, Tony! :) I have ooodles of info.

First the questions.

1. "Gray bars"?? Can I not set my 'edges' on SD shows to be black? What gives? I don't want gray bars and I don't want to stretch SD to the edges. Is this not a setting somewhere?

2. The 'dual mode' vs. 'single mode' is NOT ready for prime time. In the 5 minutes I tried to play with it to explain to my dad I had teh following problems (in dual mode):
- recording to 'tv2' can't be set as default. It always gives me the 'record to tv1..tv2..' with tv1 with a purple check. Even if I change the 'record plus' setting to 'tv2' or 'tv1'..the 'record' screen doesn't change...and if you record to 'tv1'..you're COOKED. Completely locked out from watching another channel or anything. That is retarded.
- when i figured out the 'record to tv2' it did work..and in hd..however I was demonstrating to my dad how it worked & wanted him to try..but no! It was 'locked'..i couldn't delete the 'tv2' recording without going into the other room where the other tv was located, turning it on and stopping it using the tv2 remote. You have GOT to be kidding me.
- single mode is a joke..who in their right mind would want to force the other tv in another room to watch what you're watching just so you can record 2 live shows at the same time.

The ui here is horrible. There has to be a better way to manage dual tuners and 2 tvs without those problems. Why not a warning before you hit OK saying 'WARNING..IF YOU RECORD TO TV1..YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RECORD OR WATCH OTHER SHOWS..WOULD YOU LIKE THE RECORDING SCHEDULED TO TV2 INSTEAD?"

Ok, rant over there. My next rant involves customer service and the vague 'promises' of the original DISH rep I spoke with. Here is the deal:
- I WILL be getting $400 in rebates, however the paperwork and how it works is completely different than what I wrote above and what I understood from the discussion with the DISH rep last Saturday, namely:

a. the "$10 off for 10 months" for basic programming is the same
b. the "$10 off for 10 months" for HD service is the same
c. both of those are on the standard 'dishnetwork/100off' rebate PDF form with nice checkboxes to check them off
d. the mysterious 'bouncy' eligible rebate..was actually a BOUNTY rebate for switching from comcast. However the terms of this are $10/off each month for 20 months. Therefore my bill will look like this:

$39.99 (for first 10 months ) $30 in rebates applied
$59.99 (for last 10 months) $10 in rebates applied (remaining 'bounty' rebate)
$69.99 normal (post 20 months) rate. This includes:
-- local channels
-- hd programming
-- 622 DVR
-- "america's 200"

e. *read this very carefully since i spent 3 hours sorting this out with multiple supervisors and CS reps today* to get the 'bounty' rebate you MUST send in the above rebate form with the following notes
-- check the 'basic programming' box
-- check the 'hd programming' box
-- include ORIGINAL COPY OF LATEST COMCAST BILL
-- include ORIGINAL COPY OF FIRST DISH NETWORK BILL
-- All rebates will be applied at same time within 8-10 weeks
-- Simply including the Comcast bill will 'trigger' the redemption house to apply the 'switching bounty' rebate as well..even though nothing on the rebate mentions this
-- Call this number if the rebate gets rejected or hung up:
--> Redemption House # 866 225 1901 <--

Other than that, it was a fairly uneventful install..but I have a neighbor here in Nashville who has dish who showed me some GORGEOUS 'best of sunrises' HD stuff..and I can't figure out where that came from. ANyone know what channel I can find that stuff on? It looked like 'on demand'..but it was HD..maybe he had recorded it off some VOOM channel earlier and was just showing it to me. Since I'm not in Nashville right now, I can't go figure out where he got that from.

Thanks for the advice guys! This went much better than I ever imagined (nightmare CS adventure w/ rebates aside) due to your help in making sure the satellites were "peaked" and everything was coming in good.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)