New to Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Todd Aschenbrenner

Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
This is my first post to the forums. I have been doing some reading and want to ask some questions about mounting a Dish.

I live in Northern IL and in an apartment. Here is my idea for mounting a dish that I want to get.

I want to take a 5 gallon bucket and fill with cement. I then would add a 6' piece of Sched 40 3.5 OD Aluminum pipe. I then would take this and bury it between the apartment building and the sidewalk. There is about 3 feet between the building and the sidewalk. Basically the bucket would be buried up to the top or just a couple inches below.

I want to get the America's Top 200.

Can someone tell me if the way I want to mount my dish will work and be stable. Thanks.

Have you checked with the apartment owner/manager to see if it is OK to mount that way? I'm going to guess probably not. Next, you are going to install your dish in a public area at a height that is easily accessible to neighbors, including children, not the best idea. If you don't have a second floor with a balcony the faces south you are not in the best position to get satellite service.

I'm not concerned with what my landlord says. The lease has nothing about not being about to install a dish. The apartment building is only one story.

Thanks for the response but I'm not really looking at this from a "can I do this" point of view. I just need to know if this will work. I have checked to make sure everything is clear to the SW. There are a couple of trees but the signal will be higher than the trees. It will be years before the trees get high enough to block the signal.

I have lived in this apartment for 10 years and for that time the apartment across the street has had a dish up with no issues from kids. There are no kids that live in the neighborhood. All the apartments are 1 bedroom so it's just single people or couples.

I'm just tired of Comcast and their compression of the HD channels.

That should work, this is what I would do.

I would either attach a muffler clamp to the end of the pole placed in the cement or cut it at an angle so it can't turn. Dig the hole and place the bucket in the ground, then mix the cement in the bucket with the pole in it. This will make it much easier to level instead of trying to get the bucket level in the hole after the fact.

Personally I would forget the bucket and just dig a hole.

This is my first post to the forums. I have been doing some reading and want to ask some questions about mounting a Dish.

I live in Northern IL and in an apartment. Here is my idea for mounting a dish that I want to get.

I want to take a 5 gallon bucket and fill with cement. I then would add a 6' piece of Sched 40 3.5 OD Aluminum pipe. I then would take this and bury it between the apartment building and the sidewalk. There is about 3 feet between the building and the sidewalk. Basically the bucket would be buried up to the top or just a couple inches below.

I want to get the America's Top 200.

Can someone tell me if the way I want to mount my dish will work and be stable. Thanks.
What dish are you planning on mounting on a 3.5" pole?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts