New to Dish

icehckylvr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 6, 2004
Elk Grove, CA
So I have been with Directv on and off for the last 15 years and decided I got tired of paying close to $200/mo for the Premier Package. So I contacted Dish and they offered me the following:

1-Hopper with Sling
1-Joey
1-Super Joey
Free Installation
Everything Pak
Free Equipment
Free HD for Life
3 mos premium Channels
6 mos multi-sport package for free
6 mos protection for free
$50 Visa Gift Card
$69/mo for first 3 months, depending on what premiums we keep after that

Sound like a good deal. Anyone think of anything I missed. Is that really a great deal?

Thanks in advance.
Ron

Missing a huge opportunity. Get with one of us on private message for a referal certificate for an additional $5 off for 10 months.

So I have been with Directv on and off for the last 15 years and decided I got tired of paying close to $200/mo for the Premier Package. So I contacted Dish and they offered me the following:

1-Hopper with Sling
1-Joey
1-Super Joey
Free Installation
Everything Pak
Free Equipment
Free HD for Life
3 mos premium Channels
$50 Visa Gift Card

Sound like a good deal. Anyone think of anything I missed. Is that really a great deal?

Thanks in advance.
Ron
Where is the 2 year contract hidden?

Where is the 2 year contract hidden?
That, along with other contractual info is a DISCLOSURE not "hidden." You must be referring to DirecTV who is being sued by the US Govt. for obscuring or not even disclosing at all some of their contractual terms, especially "real/full price" once the discount period ends and discount period for only ONE year while inferring by omission the discounts would be for the entire two year commitment. There are even more activities for which the US Govt. is suing DirecTV.

The OP was talking about what programming and other services he is being offered and any discounts that apply, not the terms of the Residential Agreement, which has always been disclosed in every experience I've had and heard about when dealing with Dish. Dish not only makes the disclosures by verbal means, but also offers to send the disclosures to your email for you to peruse before you commit.

boba you pose a great question--for the DirecTV forum. None of the MVPD's are wearing white while doing business in getting new customers, but the point is that DirecTV's practices were easily the most egregious, and it seems all the other MVPD's do at least an adequate job of declaring disclosures to the potential subscriber. I really didn't understand the point of your post, but thought I would attempt to clear up any inference that Dish does not disclose the terms. In fact, it is quite the opposite. One of the few things Dish does pretty well. 2 year commitment is CLAER, but Dish ought to VERBALLY disclose that if one cancels service, they are on the hook for the LNBF's, so to speak. However, I would think a law prohibiting the consumer from being charged for the LNBF's if not returned would be more effective.

Reactions: Tampa8
Don't need a law, the only time a customer is charged for the LnBF is if they do not send the receivers back. I'll give Mike some ammo... It is another dime Dish can get for from customers who think they can just keep the receivers. If the receivers are returned the LNB is auto waived.

That, along with other contractual info is a DISCLOSURE not "hidden." You must be referring to DirecTV who is being sued by the US Govt. for obscuring or not even disclosing at all some of their contractual terms, especially "real/full price" once the discount period ends and discount period for only ONE year while inferring by omission the discounts would be for the entire two year commitment. There are even more activities for which the US Govt. is suing DirecTV.

The OP was talking about what programming and other services he is being offered and any discounts that apply, not the terms of the Residential Agreement, which has always been disclosed in every experience I've had and heard about when dealing with Dish. Dish not only makes the disclosures by verbal means, but also offers to send the disclosures to your email for you to peruse before you commit.

boba you pose a great question--for the DirecTV forum. None of the MVPD's are wearing white while doing business in getting new customers, but the point is that DirecTV's practices were easily the most egregious, and it seems all the other MVPD's do at least an adequate job of declaring disclosures to the potential subscriber. I really didn't understand the point of your post, but thought I would attempt to clear up any inference that Dish does not disclose the terms. In fact, it is quite the opposite. One of the few things Dish does pretty well. 2 year commitment is CLAER, but Dish ought to VERBALLY disclose that if one cancels service, they are on the hook for the LNBF's, so to speak. However, I would think a law prohibiting the consumer from being charged for the LNBF's if not returned would be more effective.

Honestly it's almost plastered by DISH on their site. "Promotional offers require 24-month commitment and credit qualification." on front page. Then there are several links for "important terms, with a pop up and brief description of terms including the 24 month commitment.

New customer deals are always great. But after 3 months, you're back up to about the same you were paying before. Not sure if my prices are up to date, but is probably close to this.

$12 HWS
$10 SJ
$7 J
$132 Everything (DirecTV Premier is only $120)

Apples to apples, Dish normally runs about $10/month less than DirecTV, mostly due to the free HD for life promo. But you get slightly less HD, lower resolution and more provider disputes in exchange. Pick your poison.

1-Hopper with Sling
1-Joey
1-Super Joey
Free Installation
Everything Pak
Free Equipment
Free HD for Life
3 mos premium Channels
$50 Visa Gift Card

Thanks in advance.
Ron

Doesn't AEP already have premiums?

I am not sure what hardware you had with D* but you will definitely like the Hopper setup, and you will save money with E*. As lon as you don't need NFL ST, you will love Dish.

Also like Chad said, before you sign get a discount code from one of us on here to save you (and them) another $50.

New customer deals are always great. But after 3 months, you're back up to about the same you were paying before. Not sure if my prices are up to date, but is probably close to this.

$12 HWS
$10 SJ
$7 J

Apples to apples, Dish normally runs about $10/month less than DirecTV, mostly due to the free HD for life promo. But you get slightly less HD, lower resolution and more provider disputes in exchange. Pick your poison.

Wrong price information as is three months. Perhaps with Direct TV I don't know, not with DISH. 1/2 price for packages is for 12 months. And what about the RSN fees Direct has for many markets?

Don't need a law, the only time a customer is charged for the LnBF is if they do not send the receivers back. I'll give Mike some ammo... It is another dime Dish can get for from customers who think they can just keep the receivers. If the receivers are returned the LNB is auto waived.
A little over two years ago when I dropped Dish they wanted the receiver, the LNB's, AND all remotes. The way it was stated, I almost thought they were also going to pull all the wires. Most people were surprised about the remotes. Since I am out of money, in a few months I will find out again what they will ask for this time.....

A little over two years ago when I dropped Dish they wanted the receiver, the LNB's, AND all remotes. The way it was stated, I almost thought they were also going to pull all the wires. Most people were surprised about the remotes. Since I am out of money, in a few months I will find out again what they will ask for this time.....
When I left Directv 3 years ago, they wanted their reciever and remote back as well, it's pretty standard.

When I left Directv 3 years ago, they wanted their reciever and remote back as well, it's pretty standard.
This is changing as they're moving away from the standalone receiver model towards their more recent Genie model. Many times they just ask for the Smart Cards back unless you have a Genie and Genie Mini(s).

I've seen a handful of reports of DIRECTV not requiring return of HR24s (of course some of them are probably aging out by now).

Unlike the way it used to be, you cannot get DIRECTV for the package price anymore. They charge for the first receiver so if you subscribe to DIRECTV's Premier package with the absolute minimum hardware (an H25 receiver), you're looking at $143.49 (once the honeymoon is over). Subscribing with a single DVR is $158.49.

Reactions: Tampa8
They do ask for all that back, however, and they don't tell you this for a reason, if you send just the receiver back... You'll be fine. That is all they truly care for. If they told people that high, people would stop sending them back. I'm gonna guess that only 1 in 5 people return the LNB, and 1 in 2 or 3 return the remotes. That is enough to use again for other things, and save a little bit of money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)