New TO DVR. Why Do you have to pay a fee?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CCMoor

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Central Ohio
Why do you have to pay a monthly fee to have dvr. If you have a dvr system why cant you just record like when you had a vcr? Did not have to pay a fee to record with a vcr and yes I understand DVR is different then vcr.

I call it the "because we can" fee. There is absolutely no reason for this fee on Dish. They just CAN so they do. As of right now the 501, 508 and 721 DVRs do not have DVR fees. The rest of the receivers do.

I'll restate that the instant I have to pay a DVR fee to Dish is the instand I am a former customer. If Dish's response is "everyone else charges a fee", my answer is "Then I'll take my $114 a month to 'everyone else' since Dish now doesn't distiguish themselved the way they once did by offering this feature for free.

See ya
Tony

CCMoor said:
I heard (Do not know if its true or not) that Dish and Directv are own by the same parent company. Is this true?

Echostar (owner of Dish Network) tried to buy DirecTV from Hughes. But the FCC and the Justice Dept. both balked. An FCC sub-committee recommended that the sale be blocked and the Justice Dept. was looking like it was leaning that way. After a year or so, Echostar pulled out of the deal before it was denied. Hughes then sold DirecTV to NewsCorp (owner Fox TV among many other entertainment properties).

So...no, Dish and DirecTV are not owned by the same company.

See ya
Tony

CCMoor said:
would it have been a good thing if dish bought Directv?

This is a very divisive question which, if history is any judge, will result in a heated argument with no clear winner. It is probably a question for another thread rather than hijacking this one which deals whith Dish's DVR fee.

You may also want to do a search on that subject since there were many heater debates over the merits of any "merger"

See ya
Tony

It seems stupid to leave just to prove something, but go ahead. :)

I hated switching from my "free" 501 to my $5/month 522, but it has been worth it, IMHO.

Brad

The only reason I signed up with Dish was because of the no fee 508. It really is a selling point they should continue.

andrews, what is your breaking point? At what point will you say "this far and no further"?

When I came to Dish, it was appox $30 a month cheaper than cable and offered more channels. That was 8 years ago. Now Dish offers about the same number of channels for about the same ammount of money, however cable offers my locals in HD and several channels I want that Dish doesn't offer. Cable's DVR fee is the same as Dish's and cable's digital boxes cost about the same as Dish's lease plan. And, if I were to go with cable, My RoadRunner broadband service would be slightly cheaper. The extra unessesary "because we can" $5 fee is the final kick in the pants to get me to roll over to cable.

I currently have a 721 and a 501. I also have AEP which so far is immune from the DVR fee. But the DVR fee is the proverbial straw. If I EVER see it on my bill, it will be the last I receive from Dish. If I lose my distant nets, that might be another deal-breaker, but at least I know Dish has little to no control over that.

See ya
Tony

Hi, I wanted to know is it worth buying like a $508 for like $180 from eBay -- considering its like paying the $5 fee for like 36 months -- and I think I rather pay that then buy it - because who knows in 12 months there might be something new.

What do you all think?

Also, does Dish have any free deals for existing customers for PVR. I pay about $125 per month, and they treat me like crap, its been over 1 year with my account.

TNGTony said:
Echostar (owner of Dish Network) tried to buy DirecTV from Hughes. But the FCC and the Justice Dept. both balked. An FCC sub-committee recommended that the sale be blocked and the Justice Dept. was looking like it was leaning that way. After a year or so, Echostar pulled out of the deal before it was denied. Hughes then sold DirecTV to NewsCorp (owner Fox TV among many other entertainment properties).

So...no, Dish and DirecTV are not owned by the same company.

See ya
Tony

question, if the deal went thru, then ergen would control all sats, a scarry thought.

the way it went down , chalie coughed up 600,000,000.00 with directv as the payee, and directv sat back and did ....nothing,,,,sweet

sumner redstone will own dish by next summer, e mail him, and WAIT FOR A RESPONSE! :yes :yes

hey , at least charlie chats will be over (the clown show)

400,000,000 of the 6 were paid by Vivendi-Universal. Most of the remainder was paid by many other "minor partners" that backed the deal. Echostar was out almost no money. In the process, they froze their competition for close to two years.

As to Viacom buying Dish, this would be the 4th time since I have been folloiwng Dish that some one claims that Dish is for sale. The first was NewsCorp back in 98. Dish ended up with NewsCorps satellites and transponder licenses. :)

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts