New to EHD

bobdee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 19, 2020
Arizona
Thought I'd give this a try. Read a few things, but I never know to I actually see for myself. Couple things though, will it work with a SSD? I see they charge a fee, how much? I think my H3 is 2TB, but really just want to save a hand full of movies, so I could use something smaller, & pick what I want to save? Any good feedback on the HopperGo? Thanks for comments.

No fee. Will work with SSDs but that’s a bad idea. SSDs have a limited number of read write cycles and would wear out much quicker that a HDD. HDDs are cheap. Smaller is fine. I think the minimum now is 500.

I’ve used the HopperGo and was happy with it. But haven’t used it in about a year, as we are not going anywhere.....

I think the minimum now is 500.
The minimum for a Wally is 500 GB. The minimum for a Hopper (any model Hopper) is 320 GB. I salvaged the 320 GB internal hard drive from my ViP612, which died due to a different issue, unrelated to the hard drive. Of course, it would need to be put in some kind of powered enclosure, and then reformatted, if anyone wanted to use it as an external hard drive with a Hopper. I'll accept any reasonable offer. :)

Reactions: navychop
Ah, good stuff guys, thanks. One more prolly dumb question. Can it be done via a wired Joey?
Not sure [what] "it" is. You can transfer programs to the EHD with a Joey, but you cannot attach an EHD to a Joey, it must be attached USB to the Hopper 3.
I wasn't sure either, but Jim I think you guessed correctly. Amusingly enough, I had 2 EHDs connected to my VIP receivers, and the 612 I had before was replaced during my "upgrade" with a J3. My installler claimed thatI could plug that EHD into the J3 and have it work. It does not. :( Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only things you can plug into a Joey USB port (and expect them to work) are the WiFi dongle and the Bluetooth dongle.

Reactions: pattykay
Thanks again, as I suspected. I was just curious knowing it had a USB port, & that was answered above.

Dish have never said what the USB port on the new Joey 3's is for. It's a watch this space kind of issue. They may had had the room on the motherboard to add it for future proofing. Who knows? Charlie knows!

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)