New to FREE TO AIR...need info

Status
Please reply by conversation.
voomvoom said:
I've given some thought to the HDTV on Amazonas, and I think it doesn't stand for HD (High Definition), but it stands for HD (Hard Drive) programming. I've noticed several times, one of the channels is going through a D* PVR. So, it must stand for HD (Hard Drive).
Is there some phrase in spanish that could be abbreviated HD but means "illegal breach of copyrights"? :D

I currently have a directv dish on the roof of the house, if i remove that dish and install the FTA dish in the same location, can i assume thats the southern skies and i wont have to do anything else?

Directv use 101ºw (also 110+119ºw) So you will be pointing roughly south but the dish will require very precise pointing using a LIVE transponder while watching the signal meter for QUALITY only!

can i use the directv dish for FTA and just get a FTA receiver, or are the dish different from directv to the FTA? since the directv dish is already up on the roof and already pointing somewhat in the direction, i figure i can save some time, i will just have to install the motor so it will rotate, and hook up the FTA reciever, am i correct?

PSB said:
There are very few channels FTA that can be had with an 18" dish........

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=34131

I thought i read earlier that the size of the dish doesnt matter, i read that the bigger dish just hold up better during storms and keep the signal. With the directv dish and a FTA receiver i wont pick up many channels? I am not talking about the directv dish and directv receiver. What size dish are the FTA dishes usually? what is the recommended size?

There are a few problems with trying to use a DBS dish for Ku. First, its really too small. Ku is lower power than DBS, so you need at least a 30" dish to get most of what's up there. Secondly, DirecTV (or Dish Notwork) dishes use DBS LNBFs, which are designed to receive circular-polarized signals. Ku satellites (which most FTA is on) use linear-polarized signals, so you'd have to replace the DBS LNBF with a linear Ku LNBF that would fit the DirecTV dish's D-mount (most won't without rigging up a holder). Finally, since you'd be receiving linear signals, you'd have to find a way to skew the LNBF for any satellites a bit east or west of directly south from your location.

Tron said:
There are a few problems with trying to use a DBS dish for Ku. First, its really too small. Ku is lower power than DBS, so you need at least a 30" dish to get most of what's up there. Secondly, DirecTV (or Dish Notwork) dishes use DBS LNBFs, which are designed to receive circular-polarized signals. Ku satellites (which most FTA is on) use linear-polarized signals, so you'd have to replace the DBS LNBF with a linear Ku LNBF that would fit the DirecTV dish's D-mount (most won't without rigging up a holder). Finally, since you'd be receiving linear signals, you'd have to find a way to skew the LNBF for any satellites a bit east or west of directly south from your location.

Tron thanks for the explanation, I will just go ahead and get the whole FTA package. I have seen some at the sites for under $300. so the bigger dishes than 30" wont get more channels than the 30" correct?

Correct, it will help with weak signals and help when it rains but no extra satellites or channels!

I am getting a FTA package that includes a motor, now, i see that there are different motors and numbers to upgrade on. Whats the difference between the prices between durability? Is there a minimum standard i should upgrade to or just keep what comes with the package? Another question is, When i first initially mount the dish up on the roof, do i need to point it on a specifit satellite or will the motor and menu screen adjust the dish according to what i tell it?

Wow, i think that was a dumb question...

You will have to set up your True South satellite (the satellite closest to your longitude) and, using USALS, instruct the motor to move to it. Then you will want to peak your dish aim using a live transponder (a transponder on your true south satellite with signal so you can adjust the dish using the receiver's meter). After that, the motor will move (via USALS) to any satellite you instruct.

Last edited:
Tron said:
You will have to set up your True South satellite (the satellite closest to your longitude) and, using USALS, instruct the motor to move to it. Then you will want to peak your dish aim using a live transponder (a transponder on your true south satellite with signal so you can adjust the dish using the receiver's meter). After that, the motor will move (via USALS) to any satellite you instruct.

So I will have to manually set the dish on the roof to the South satellite? what is USALS? Does the transponder usually comes with the FTA satellite packages?

Yes you will have to manually point the dish using a LIVE TP. while watching Signal Quality on the TV. The receiver will have some TP. (transponders) already listed, if you are not sure if a TP. is LIVE ask here just before you point the dish.

USALS is a way to move your dish from satellite to satellite (after setting up to your true south)

http://www.usals.info/inglese/home.htm

NitrousGT said:
So I will have to manually set the dish on the roof to the South satellite? what is USALS? Does the transponder usually comes with the FTA satellite packages?
USALS is a motor control protocol which will move the dish based on your latitude/longitude, which you input in the USALS screen in your receiver satellite setup menu. First you would make sure your motor is at '0', then select a satellite close to your true south. The receiver will move the motor to where that satellite should be. Then you would adjust your dish azimuth (move motor/dish assembly east and west until you get signal) and fine tune dish elevation until you get a peaked signal on that satellite. If this is done correctly, your motor should be on the arc.

NitrousGT said:

Remember not all satellite positions will work with USALS, a few at each end of your arc will have to be set using DiSEqC 1.2 :)

PSB said:
Remember not all satellite positions will work with USALS, a few at each end of your arc will have to be set using DiSEqC 1.2 :)

Thanks for all the information everyone. When i receiver the package, i will go ahead and do the installation and update you all how its coming. How long should it usually take to get everything up and ready, this will be my first time. Can i keep the OTA antenna on the roof for local channels and still connect the satellite?

If you have diplexers (need two) you could use one cable for everything!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts