New to FTA and board, seeking advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

grandkai

Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Greentop, MO
Hello everyone, I have looked over several posts although with as many as are out there not sure I can get to all of them :). A friend recommended FTA over a year ago and I have been trying to learn as much as possible. It is going slow for me unfortunately. One of the reasons is the funds available to me. I was born visually impaired, please do not think I am whining as I am only stating this because this limits my income to produce the funds. It has not been easy on Social Security but I finally have saved enough, at least I hope, to buy a system. Deciding to go FTA also helped by not being able to afford the subscriptions (small dish). I have a few questions that I hope some of you can help me with now that I am ready to make the jump.

I guess I should tell you what I would like to get and what I already have as well as where I am. I only speak english and would like mainly the major networks as well as some news/sports. i have also heard about wild feeds and am interested in those as well, these seem to help getting the wife motivated but that is for amother topic all together. I had DirecTV but could not afford the subscription but still havet he equipment and cabling all in place. I am also living in the North Easter corner of MO on 3.5 acres so I have lots of room.

For equipment to use, I have seen a few sites offer package deals for stationary/moving/c/ku combos. Are they for a noobe like myself a good deal or good idea to go with? I built my own computer system and know doing it that way you get a better system but not sure if it works the same way.

I know that there are many good brands out there and have seen several debates about which is better. But for the price of the total package and getting as much value for my money I would like some recommendations.

I have seen on one site they have a maintenance option which includes automatice updates to the receiver and channel updates for a year or lifetime. The service includes downloads to the receiver but not sure what it all does. Is this something that is worth the money?

The notation 4:2:2 was used several times in my viewing of the posts and one said it would say what it was but I think I missed the definition. Can you tell me what it is and is it something I should look for.

The TV here is a 27" no frills no HD but hope that someday if I save enough I can get a nicer one. Are there receivers that are capable of doing both HD and SD?

Around here there are large dishes seen but have not seen any for sale. Is it generally ok to buy used or refurbished equipment. None of the sites visited had any listing of refurbished equipment so hopefully not asking a foolish question.

There are probably a few more questions but am drawing a blank right now. The budget is upto $500.00 right now, it is not much but hope will be enough to get me started. A few combos seen online run about $300.00 plus s&h give or take but not sure as said before if they are what is needed.

Would also like a record function like PVR or what it is called in the FTA world. I can not see details well and forget reading subtitles in real time so this would definatly help me to enjoy the programs.

Thank you in advance for any advice and recommendations you can give me. Have a truly wonderful and beautiful day.

I don't usually recommend what people should buy, but I will give my 2 cents on what they say they are buying. You ask about PVR and this thread pops up:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...ionsat-iv-200-model-blowout-satellite-av.html
I don't have one of these, but many on here do, and they seem to like it. From what I've read, I would give it an A+. And I have several dishes, including a couple of 10' dishes that other people was wanting to get out of there yard. If you have 35 acres to plant a dish on, I suggest you start knocking on doors and try to get a Free dish? If they say No, go elsewhere, there are plenty to be had. 4:2:2 is a type of Color Scheme sometimes used, and the only Set-Top Receiver I know that does it, cost over $700. But, you can get a Computer PCI DVB-S card and with the right Codecs, you can watch 4:2:2...
The main thing to remember, is that this FTA is mostly for a compliment of your OTA, or Cable, or DishNet/Directv. It's not exactly a replacement, but it can be, and has been for some people. If you are into Lifetime, Hallmark, or TNT, you may not be happy with FTA...???

And, Welcome to the Forum
Whatever you decide, we are here and can help you get it going. Good Luck..!!!!

Most of the networks are on G18 but news channels are in various locations as well as the feeds. A fixed dish will work for G18 but if you want news and feeds as well get a motor for the dish.
The auto updating of firmware is probably being used for illegal uses, so you don't need that.
4:2:2 is only available on a Quality reciever or on any PCI cards for your computer(since the cpu does all of the decoding and the card is only a tuner). I don't have anything to get 4:2:2 or any HD so I can't comment on the particulars of either.
For a pvr I am using a Visionsat IV-200 with an external USB2.0 hard drive. One of the sponsers is selling these a a great price right now, see http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...ionsat-iv-200-model-blowout-satellite-av.html. You will need to supply your own hard drive but most if not all FTA prvs are the same. IMO it is a great reciever for the money.
Getting used equipment like dishes are usually fine, espesially large ones for C band but buying used dishes are like buying anything used and there may be problems.
You will need at least a 30" dish and a linear lnb. My preferance is to get a 36" or maybe a 33". Those extra few inches are great for weaker transponders.
You should be able to get everthing including a hard drive for near your lower range of your budget excluding installation. Most of us install are own systems but you might find someone to install. Most installers are usually clueless except for the pay systems they usually install, especially if a motor is part of it.

welcome :wave

It is going slow for me unfortunately. One of the reasons is the funds available to me. I was born visually impaired, please do not think I am whining as I am only stating this because this limits my income to produce the funds. It has not been easy on Social Security but I finally have saved enough, at least I hope, to buy a system. Deciding to go FTA also helped by not being able to afford the subscriptions (small dish).
alot of us have started small and have grown systems so you're not alone.

I guess I should tell you what I would like to get and what I already have as well as where I am. I only speak english and would like mainly the major networks as well as some news/sports.
you're in luck. There is one satellite that has various english networks (fox, abc, retro TV Network) from around the country. There are 25-30 or so. Some of them carry sports. If you motorize the system then that opens up a whole new world of possibilities on what you can get. Lots of sports & news feeds along with other channels

i have also heard about wild feeds and am interested in those as well, these seem to help getting the wife motivated but that is for amother topic all together.
news feeds live and uncut are pretty cool. When a big news item strikes, FTA news feeds are the way to go. They show it live and let the cameras roll so no 30 second snippet like on the local TV

I had DirecTV but could not afford the subscription but still havet he equipment and cabling all in place.
good to know. Also the DirecTV dish can be used to get NASA TV

I am also living in the North Easter corner of MO on 3.5 acres so I have lots of room.
:D

I know that there are many good brands out there and have seen several debates about which is better. But for the price of the total package and getting as much value for my money I would like some recommendations.
it is good to get the complete system at once instead of each part. Systems are usually alot cheaper to ship then piece by piece

I have seen on one site they have a maintenance option which includes automatice updates to the receiver and channel updates for a year or lifetime. The service includes downloads to the receiver but not sure what it all does. Is this something that is worth the money?
one word...NO
unfortunately some "companies" (and I use that term loosely) think downloading 3rd party illegal software into the box to illegally get Dish Network services is FTA. They are wrong!! Not only do those folks do illegal things, but giving them your info just puts you in danger too.

The notation 4:2:2 was used several times in my viewing of the posts and one said it would say what it was but I think I missed the definition. Can you tell me what it is and is it something I should look for.
some sports feeds are going 4:2:2. Its a way they send the signal (most are 4:2:0). There is only one consumer box out there (the Quali-TV) and it runs around 700 bucks. Most folks add a PC card to their computer to get these feeds along with a normal reciever

The TV here is a 27" no frills no HD but hope that someday if I save enough I can get a nicer one. Are there receivers that are capable of doing both HD and SD?
yep. There are about 10 boxes out there (approx) that can do both HD & SD. Doesnt matter what the TV is. I use to have a 32" TV and had a HD box. It can look different seeing a HD program on a SDTV

Around here there are large dishes seen but have not seen any for sale. Is it generally ok to buy used or refurbished equipment. None of the sites visited had any listing of refurbished equipment so hopefully not asking a foolish question.
not a foolish question. If you can find a big dish or a Primestar dish for little or no money thats the best way to expand the system. I have 3 Primestar dishes that I paid zero for. 2 of them I asked if I could take them and the homeowner said I could

There are probably a few more questions but am drawing a blank right now. The budget is upto $500.00 right now, it is not much but hope will be enough to get me started. A few combos seen online run about $300.00 plus s&h give or take but not sure as said before if they are what is needed.
a basic motorized system consists of a receiver, motor, 30-36" dish and a LNB and can be had for 250-300 bucks which is for a good system. When I first got my system 5 years ago I paid 200 bucks for the receiver alone :eek:

Would also like a record function like PVR or what it is called in the FTA world. I can not see details well and forget reading subtitles in real time so this would definatly help me to enjoy the programs.
There are PVR units out there. Visionsat is a pretty good one and can use any type of drive (thumb drive or hard drive)

Thank you for your responses and so quick too. Living out in the middle of nowhere don't believe that could find a skilled installer. learning how to install it myself will be a challange but i think i am up to it and from reading many of the posts here feel that everyone is genuine in wanting to help.

The main reason FTA is replacing DTV is because of the cost although TNT, USA, CartoonNetwork and others are good channels to watch they can also be lived without under the circumstances.

On 4:2:2, if it deals with just colors, with my limited eyesight does not seem to be an important feature. Thank you for the information.

Thank you for the information on the sites with the support download subscription plans. They sell it so openly that it was difficult to tell and gave me a feeling it was doing normal updates like drivers for computer hardware or regular software updates. Did not realize when they said update keys they were talking about something like that. Thanks again.

I was looking at some of the channel listings on a site referenced in this forum often for that and they show some of the channels on echostar 7 think that is a Dish sat also but says the channels are not scrambled, am i reading this wrong and would i need to hook up my small dish some how to get those from that sat or will the larger dish pick them up.

Will start to look for a dish but not easy to go door to door around here since i can not drive but will put up a note on the bulliten board at the post office. thanks for the tip on getting a or more dishes.

The suggestiions are much appreciated. The decision is ultimatly mine but it ceratinly helps to get as much information as possible. If you have any other suggestions or maybe know of a good deal on one of the sites please forward it on to me. I will be looking at the links already sent. Thanks again much appreciated. Have a truly wonderful and beautiful day.

I was looking at some of the channel listings on a site referenced in this forum often for that and they show some of the channels on echostar 7 think that is a Dish sat also but says the channels are not scrambled, am i reading this wrong and would i need to hook up my small dish some how to get those from that sat or will the larger dish pick them up.

There are a few channels on the various Dish pay satellites that are in the clear, but they are mostly useless "banner" channels that show the same loop over and over. Dish 101 is an example. This channel has a half-hour program that repeats, which is basically a how-to guide for Dish customers. 119w (Echo 7) does have NASA-TV in the clear, which, IMO, is the best of the free Dish offerings. To get these, you will either need a subscription dish (such as your old DirecTV dish) or a regular FTA dish with a DBS circular LNBF installed.

Greetings, grandkai, and welcome from another Missourian (from the far SW corner of our great state). :)

I don't have much to add to all the advice you have already received here except to say, go back and read old threads, particularly in the FTA Discussion and C-Band forums, if you go down to the bottom of the page there is a button that will allow you to get to old threads all the way back to the beginning. Lots of info in the "sticky" threads at the top of each forum, and the Search function is a good tool also.

I've noticed that a lot of the people that are answering our questions now were asking the same types of questions a couple years ago, that gives me hope for guys like us that are starting out in this great hobby. :D

This is a very cool place and there are a lot of folks that will help you any way they can, enjoy!

I bought my first system off ebay as a package deal and got it at a fairly good price.

If looking for free dishes try searching and posting on your local craigslist and freecycle online forums.

About an hour from where I live is a backwoods country community. There is cable tv and dsl there now but they recieved it years after everyone else. There are old primestar style dishes on every other roof. If I didn't live in an apartment I would be knocking on every door.

Maybe there is a similar community near you that a friend would be willing to drive you to.

Thank you for the information. I will look at the older posts was just not sure if there had been any changes which would make the information in those posts outdated. I have heard about this new digital transition with local stations and understand that it will not be affected on the sats since it is already digital. But not sure if there maybe something i am not sure of in what has changed or become irrelevant. After seeing the response here if I come across something that may seem outdated I feel confident someone will let me know.

The channels of interest to me on the echo 7 sat are network stations from Miami, Florida the listing seen shows the stations from that area for ABC, CBS, NBC and fox as open broadcasting. i would be interested in NASA TV as well. If I understand you when a package is purchased the current DTV dish can be used to pick up those stations? If so do i use the switch to connect the to dishes or would it be recommended to get the LNBF for DBS. As a note the DTV dish is mounted on the roof of the house not sure the larger dish should be put there or not.

There is really not that many dishes around not sure if it is because the community around is largely amish or because many of the farmers dont watch TV that much. DSL is only available through one company and it costs almost 80 a month, none of the big companies will even come into the area. There is a cable company but they only have 20-30 channels and the cost is high also and from what is said their service is not reliable most days. Not easy to adjust moving from Ft Lauderdale, Fl where you can get anything on the next corner.

one more question, I found this package online in one of the searches and was wondering if you could tell me if it was a good deal or if I am barking up the wrong tree?

it is the buynfusion.com/packages.html
VISIONSAT IV200 PVR MOTOR 36 INCH SYSTEM

Thank you again and have a truly wonderful and beautiful day

The channels of interest to me on the echo 7 sat are network stations from Miami, Florida the listing seen shows the stations from that area for ABC, CBS, NBC and fox as open broadcasting. i would be interested in NASA TV as well.

OSU1991 is correct, the Miami locals are only viewable near the Miami area. NASA is available, and well worth the effort :)

What is the size and model of your pay service dish? You can use your existing DBS dish with a DiSEqC switch to switch between it and your FTA dish, unless your DBS dish is a Dish Network DP (they use an internal DiSEqC switch).

Thank you for the information. I used to live in Miami/Ft lauderdale that is why I asked the question on those stations. The dish I have is the standard one sent to me by DirecTV about 2 years ago. I do not have the specs on it but can climb up on the roof and check if it would help. Was also wondering if you were able to check out the package deal and if it was a good price. I checked out the sponsors for the site but none had a motorized package with the Visiontec IV200 PVR and a 90cm dish. I am going to purchase sometime this weekend.

Thanks again, have a truly wonderful and beautiful day.

I found this package online in one of the searches and was wondering if you could tell me if it was a good deal or if I am barking up the wrong tree?
Well, since SatelliteAV is having a blow-out sale on that receiver...
... and if you click the red eBay link in his signature you'll see a deal on a dish with LNB...
... and since they sell a good motor...
It stands to reason, you would get a better package phoning up SatelliteAV, and picking up everything from him.
He's a gold sponsor to the forum, and has always been very helpful and considerate to the members.

Well, since SatelliteAV is having a blow-out sale on that receiver...
... and if you click the red eBay link in his signature you'll see a deal on a dish with LNB...
... and since they sell a good motor...
It stands to reason, you would get a better package phoning up SatelliteAV, and picking up everything from him.
He's a gold sponsor to the forum, and has always been very helpful and considerate to the members.

Yes that would stand to reason I must admit but I do have one problm. Although I did check out the great blow out that he has listed and did review his retail site I did not notice his ebay link previously in his signature.

Just in case I reviewed his retail site again and saw no motos anywhere although i did see instructions on how to set one up. The only package he lists is for that receiver but it is not motorized and since i did not see anywhere a motor i did not continue. I went to his ebay offerings and there is only 1 item there and it is a 90cm dish. Thus not seeing a motor and as you say stands to reason I continued my search for a god deal. As a note also I am looking at buying around the 1 of september and his deal ends before that on that receiver. As stated before I would love to help out by purchasing from a sponsor but at the same time I am very limited financially so have to go with the best price I can get.

Thank you for your time and effort.

I'd wager if you called up Mike Kohl's business and told him what you wanted, he could put together a suitable deal for you. Can't hurt to ask, can it? He's a helpful guy on the forum here.

Yes you are right does not hurt. I did email him earlier this morning and have not heard from him as of yet. As I am not able to buy anything until this coming Friday I will wait until Wednesday to see if he responds and if not will call him to see what he will offer.

Any other suggestions as far as motors, switches LNBF or multiple LNBF units with regards to brand/model would be also greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for all your help, Have a truly wonderful and beautiful evening.

A lot of us who want to save money (and who also like to just 'tinker') go out and find these old primestar satellite dishes to start out with, just use as a fixed dish for awhile until you find out what kind of programming is available. They can be motorized too but it takes some retro-fitting, possibly not for the beginner. The lnbf on them is usually ok, I've had about 6 and haven't picked up one with a bad lnbf yet even though they are 10yrs old or more.
A ready-made system with motor is a great way to start for a newbie, later on you may want to expand. I personally don't care whats on the dishnetwork birds for free, I can get NASA on my big dish (C-band) and it looks much better, plus there's several channels there, only 1 of them on Dish...besides what you might find unscrambled for a little while on the pay-tv satellites wouldn't be there for very long(except for that one nasa ch). Tons of free stuff on fta, don't even miss TNT with their giant channel-ID bug and on-screen advertising.

Thank you again for your help. Originally it was not so important to get the Dish channels as it was to get the networks from my home town as I saw them on a channel listing. Since this is not possible it is not a biggie for receiving Dish channels. I can understand not missing TNT, not having any TV at all has cured me of that. I guess I mainly would like the networks to keep current, sports for entertainment and if possible adult content well for more entertainment (oh this helps to keep the in laws away also :))

Thank you again everyone for all your help, I know I will need it again once I get my setup underway. Have a truly wonderful and beautiful day.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)