New to fta and need some info.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Troydog

Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
Ky
Hi

I got a few questions I have searched and no luck finding much info.

I am in a apartment does a dish say 39 inches work good for fta, I use to have dishnetwork years ago and it picked up great.

Also if it is ok to ask here.

Where is a good place online to order a system online? I would need hdmi port since I use a projector and hate to run cables to it. I got the hdmi cables so that would be nice to have.

Also reading this becomes a hard thing to the the truth on. Can I run one cable from the dish and split it inside to another receiver? To add to that I am the only one that lives here so only watch one tv at a time.

Is a motor worth it? Reading seems not to be much on other sat's seems 97 is the main one.

Any info help would be great.

Thanks
troy

First off Welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!

Ok yes a 39" dish works quite well for FTA, at least for Ku. C-Band is a different story those are the(usually) big 8-12 foot dishes.

Satelliteav.com has a good price on a great system. Here is a link to it: http://www.satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_pid=1611&ws_cat=413

The receiver is the microHD and is a very well designed receiver just for the NA market, and is well supported. Yes is has HDMI out.
Yes you can run two receivers from one line, there is a couple of ways to do that. Ask more about how to do that once you get your first receiver going.

Yes a motor is worth it. Like you said 97 west has the most full time channels. However there are tons out there on the other sats that come and go. I would however not recommend going with a motor at first though until you understand and have a good feel for the basics.

Ask any question you need. There are a ton of knowledgeable people here willing to help a newbie.

Michael

36" (0.9m), or 39" (1.0m) make a very good Ku band FTA system.
Due to shipping expenses, the 36" is more popular...resulting in higher production, and considerable extra savings.

SatelliteAV sells what is currently one of the best performing, best supported, and least expensive S2-capable FTA receivers.
They have a package deal on receiver (HDMI output), PLL LNBF, and 36" dish.
http://satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_pid=1611&ws_cat=413
After getting that going, you'll be in better position to decide if you want a motor.

The easiest way to support a second receiver, is with a two-output LNBF.
If you decide to have two dishes, we can help you with that, too.
But, first start out simple.

97w is a good satellite to start out with on FTA it has the most channels on it to watch. I live in an apartment also so I understand the rules when it comes to an apartment complex.

Dan Rose

Thanks everyone think I will order it this week. I am not a big tv person but something to watch is always nice and love them odd type tv shows.

The PBS channels off 125W offer, for me, the most "usable viewing" in the ku world. That is where my dish is pointed 95% of the time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts