New to FTA !! C Band !!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

zeusTheDoc

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Hi guyz,

I have posted in sadoun forum before for advice and this is my first post here after long search and weighing what I wanna watch... I have bought 6' Fortec Dish with Foretec classic NA receiver and BSC 621-2. I got my dish few days back today atlast I got time to assemble it... took me 2.5 hours and now its all ready to be placed and am gonna set it for Iintelsat 805 tomorrow. Few questions before I start the voyage!

- I understand with BSC621 I need to start by pointing that one arrow at 6'o clock position and skew from there (for my place skew for Intelsat 805 is 39anticlock)

- What should I enter in LNB type in receiver setup?

- all channles on intelsat 805 are Linear, do I have to take care of anything to watch both H and V channles?

Would appreciate help and will post pictures and experience (hopefully good) tomorrow.

Thanks!

Zeus

:welcome

Nice to have you here!
LNB type for the C-Band side should be 5150 on the Fortec Classic NA.

I have my DiSEqC set to 1 for C-Band and 2 for Ku

Help needed with installation

OKay with above setup I tried to set my dish today .. I am constantly getting 0-6% on signal (the red bar at bottom) now I entered my lat & Long as well... what could be other cause of this?

Secondly As I was trying to set it up for Intelsat 805 if the azimuth / elevation is not perfect would i get same thing or this means no signal at all and noty just for the sat am looking for?

Would appreciate help!

Zeus

make sure you have a LIVE transponder entered! Ask for one here if you are not 100% sure its broadcasting!

Other causes, not pointed at satellite, wrong L.O. set for LNBF

Also make sure you have LAT. North and LONG. West

zeusTheDoc said:
OKay with above setup I tried to set my dish today .. I am constantly getting 0-6% on signal (the red bar at bottom) now I entered my lat & Long as well... what could be other cause of this?

Not familiar with that receiver to know if what you're referring to as "Signal" is the same as "Quality". When I've had a very low number on Signal, it usually meant wrong diseqc port, or wasn't connected to the feedhorn at all. You should have something on "signal" even if everything is connected - regardless of if you are pointing to anything or not.

Thanks for the answer.

Actually thats what am wondering, even if am not correctly directed to the said satellite .. the signal bar should show something atleat and if it is not ... does that mean I have some problem in the setup/connections.

PSB .. you mean that signalbar will not show anything if am not correctly directed to the said satellite I gave in receiver setup ? I have checked LO and my coordinates they are fine.

I dont know what am missing!

Zeus

Like Pete said, when you are in the setup screen for the sat, the screen where you input LNB type and switch, it is usually using the 1st transponder in the sat's profile programmed into the box. If that tranponder is not active on the sat you will not see any strength or quality. Go to the manual scan screen or any screen where you can cycle through the trandponders, when you hit an active transponder on the sat, you will get a responce.
This of cause in depending on the fact that you are aimed correctly at the sat:)

Hi again and thanks for all the suggestions,

Today I spent about an hour fidling with the dish (though felt like ages in this scorching heat) now i checked everything again settings etc and put a transponder that i know is alive but everytime I get 0-6% and red bar with (unlock) on the receiver I check azimuth (130) and elevation (35) many times but no change. I assume this means the receiver is getting something from LNB (0-6% flashes) and I have to get the direction right! ... if thats the case am thinking of trying some other satellite ... to see if that makes any difference... any suggestions!

I suggest using the Blind Scan if you think you are anywhere near a satellite! You should find something if your angles are close, and from there we can work out by the channels you find what satellite you are on!

PSB said:
I suggest using the Blind Scan if you think you are anywhere near a satellite! You should find something if your angles are close, and from there we can work out by the channels you find what satellite you are on!

Might want to try both C and KU on your BS.

Thanks everyone for the reply.

Atlast i was successful to get the signal , it was my inclinometer ... elevation was way out! However I think I panicked because it was my first time setting up a dish.

Now I have been able to get most of the tp on intelsat 805 ... I couldn't get ZEE TV USA. When I do manual scan I get 6-13% signal strength when am getting 80% for Sportsmax. Could It be an issue with direction fine tuning and can some one check for me id the Freq/SR listed in lyngsat for zee is right (3717 V / 11574) .

Would appreciate.

Thanks

Zeus

That is the correct settings, I get ZEETV-USA, and ZEE CINEMA on that sat.
One other is scrambled.

zeusTheDoc said:

Now I have been able to get most of the tp on intelsat 805 ... I couldn't get ZEE TV USA. When I do manual scan I get 6-13% signal strength when am getting 80% for Sportsmax. Could It be an issue with direction fine tuning and can some one check for me id the Freq/SR listed in lyngsat for zee is right (3717 V / 11574) .

Would appreciate.

Thanks

Zeus

Hmm...80% on sportsmax for a 6 footer. Sounds like a 4 footer may be big enought to view the channel. Would be mighty nice to know when I put up my 120cm :)

Well ... the problem is am not able to get Zee now (my wife's primary reason to agree to this 6 feet dish) .. sportsmax btw has wonderful picture! Any suggestion ??

First off, while looking at your signal meter (or having an accomplice do so and relay changes) push and pull on the bottom of the dish, If you see do not signal increase elevation is peaked. If you do see a difference than adjust elevation. Then try pushing/ pulling on the side, once again watching your signal meter. If you see increase in either direction adjust azimuth accordingly. This will allow you to peak your azimuth.

After that double check your focal point, small changes here can mean large increase / decrease in signal strength. Then fine tune your skew by rotating lnbf left and right until you reach maximum signal.

Good Luck!

zeusTheDoc said:
Well ... the problem is am not able to get Zee now (my wife's primary reason to agree to this 6 feet dish) .. sportsmax btw has wonderful picture! Any suggestion ??

Besides the skew that DrHydro mentioned, I have the same dish/lnbf as you, the measurement from the base plate in the dish to the bottom edge of the scalar ring is 29".
The lnbf protrudes 1.5" out of the scalar ring.
After plenty of testing, I found that to give me the best signal.

just out of curosity if anyone knows .. sometimes I get 20-30% on a tp and receiver locks it but on others it wont .. why is that?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)