New to FTA: DVB or FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cDave77

Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
So this has probably been posted dozens of times before, but I was unable to find it searching the forums. I'm new to the FTA world. I don't know if I should go with a DVB card or a FTA receiver. I currently own a PVR, but I want to go HD, and I can't find an FTA receiver with PVR yet.

If I go FTA, I am looking at the Coolsat 8000. But I am wondering if there is a picture of the EPG floating around. I have seen the guide on a Viewsat Ultra, which I absolutely hate.

If I go DVB, I like the fact I could record to my HD, I am afraid it'll slow my PC down. I have a 2.8Ghz desktop with 1 GB of ram (soone be time to upgrade). I spend a lot of time on my PC and I don't want to slow the processor down. I am having problems with my PC now due to low voltage on the power supply.

Any thoughts?

If I go FTA, I am looking at the Coolsat 8000. But I am wondering if there is a picture of the EPG floating around. I have seen the guide on a Viewsat Ultra, which I absolutely hate.
considering 99% of the legal FTA channels have no EPG, its a moot point

All FTA boxes do DVB so I think you are confusing the two. a PC card will allow you to record to your computer. Some FTA boxes have a PVR in them (Pansat 6000, Viewsat 7000).

Sorry, when I said DVB I meant the PC card.
Are there any FTA boxes that are both HD and PVR?

well, the Captiveworks 3000 HD does have pvr capability along with the rest of the swiss army knife of features, but it's basically a PC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)