new to fta / given a 10' mesh

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

madratboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
tx
new to this fta , my neighbor gave me his 10' mesh w/actuator when he moved .. but no box .. what do i need to get from here to there?????

Last edited:
Welcome!

All you should really need to check it out is some RG6 cable and an inexpensive DVB reciever. It's probably an older lnb with a corrotor (servo) for polarity selection. It can be replaced for ~$35 or so for a BSC421 c band digital. You'll either need a vbox for moving the dish or an old c band receiver (several members have them, would give you one for the cost of shipping, it's heavy, will also control polarity) Getting the new mast set very securely and ultra plumb is important. You will also need a clear veiw of the southern sky from east to west for the dish to "see" the sattelites. With a newer DVB reciever, you can mix and match dishes and bands with little trouble.

There is a lot of good programming out there. Read everything you can, then read some more.....post some pix, and if you have questions you came to the right place.

it is a ten yr old system , motorized.. has a 3" steel pole. and im in dfw tx with wide open skyshot. like i was telling its from the home next door and he had it up and running for several yrs. there is about ten of thes on my block. i also have a primestar dish i picked up for $10. need some to explain ku and c -- thought they were almost the same

The difference between ku and c band is the frequencies they use. Kind of similar to VHF and UHF in OTA. The receiver will get either or both bands, but the lnbs are different and the minimum dish size is different. Since c band uses a much lower frequency, the length of the radio waves are larger and need a larger dish to capture enough of them to get a good signal. The other main difference is that ku band will have problems in heavy rain and c band won't. This is also due to the difference in the size of the radio waves.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts