New to fta!Help w/setup??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dangerous.dan

Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
west michigan
:confused:I bought a 36"fortec dish and a dg-380 h-h powertech motor.I am using a dual quad lnbf.I purchased these from Sadoun.My receiver is a viewsat ultra lite.i am in west Mich.,I have set the dish according to lat,&long for my area.43&86.The angles are set correctly according to lyngsat.My dish is pointed south.I am told that the first sat I should find would be 87 w?I am also using a sat finder ....the little metr thingy,lol.That is attached between linear on lnb & receiver.I get approx.,70 on strength,but nothing on quality.I have entered in the lat & long on the receiver.I am using usals for the motor & it is turned on.I am not sure how to find the correct tp,s for this and of the other sats I might wish to view.I have been scrolling thru them until I notice an increase in strength.My problem is I have not been able to find a sat that I could scan or view.Was wondering if someone could help out here?I am new to this and at a loss as to direction.

Dan,
I use 11720 H 4858 transponder, The patient channel for aiming. It's a strong tp. Probably you need to use 3 digits for your latitude and longitude. I use 42.7, 86.2 . That makes us nearly neighbors. :)
Where are you , anyway, I'm on the south side of Holland and can probably come and help.

My advice is to take a small TV and receiver out to the dish with you, to lock in that true south bird. It makes the process much easier. My Streets & trips shows you near Allendale ?

The basic initial setup for a motorized system is as follows:

1. On the motor scale, set the latitude of your location.

2. On the dish elevation scale, set the elevation determined by your motor manual calculations, ( sometimes furnished by a web site calculator ) .

For example, My motor , an HH90 is set to 43 degrees, because my latitude is 42.7 degrees.

The dish elevation setting for my location is 38.4 degrees, so that's my starting point on the dish scale.

Now, with the motor "loosely " attached to the perfectly plumb mast, the entire assembly is pointed as close to true south as I can determine. The motor is snugged in place to the mast and I start up the TV and receiver. Using USALS mode, I enter my latitude and longitude into the "set location" menu area. Now the receiver knows its precise location.

I select the southernmost satellite to my position and set it up in the antenna menu screen with a strong active transponder. In my case, that in AMC3 @ 87 degrees.

The motor moved just slightly to it's 87 degrees position . Now that the reciever "thinks" it is pointed to AMC3, I have to loosen the motor mounting nuts until I can barely turn the whole assembly east and west, a tiny bit at a time, while watching the quality indicator on the receiver. When I have the best quality I can get this way, I tighten down the bolts on the motor again.

The next adjustment is to slowly change the dish elevation setting, to get even more quality. Move only 1 degree at a time, and allow time for the receiver to respond to the new location. Once you've optimized that signal , you should be done. Tighten everything down solidly .

Setup a western satellite and have the receiver go to it. The motor should go there, and your quality should be good. The same is true of eastern satellites.

:)

Last edited:
Thx Brent! I would really appreciate some help with this as I have been at this for almost a month now and nothing.I would expect to make some small renumerance if you could share your time.I am located between Grant and newaygo.I was hoping to find someone who has experience with these things who could help out a newbie...

:confused:I bought a 36"fortec dish and a dg-380 h-h powertech motor.I am using a dual quad lnbf.I purchased these from Sadoun.My receiver is a viewsat ultra lite.i am in west Mich.,I have set the dish according to lat,&long for my area.43&86.The angles are set correctly according to lyngsat.My dish is pointed south.I am told that the first sat I should find would be 87 w?I am also using a sat finder ....the little metr thingy,lol.That is attached between linear on lnb & receiver.I get approx.,70 on strength,but nothing on quality.I have entered in the lat & long on the receiver.I am using usals for the motor & it is turned on.I am not sure how to find the correct tp,s for this and of the other sats I might wish to view.I have been scrolling thru them until I notice an increase in strength.My problem is I have not been able to find a sat that I could scan or view.Was wondering if someone could help out here?I am new to this and at a loss as to direction.
Hi, I am just east of you some. Have the same motor. Which dual quad lnb do you have? Do you have it set up in the receiver as the LO of 10750? I looked at Sadoun site and the only quad I seen was the Oph-031. I just set a dish up the other day in less than a half hour. I cheated. You may want to do the same.
I had the dish on the pole without a motor. Use the lnb freq the other fella stated for the Patient channel. Pointed at the magnetic deveation I should for sat 85. then slowly raised the dish and lowered it also side to side till I found it.
Then I measured the angle of the face of the dish. Laid a straight edge from top to bottom. I use a 6' metal yard stick for this and have a electronic level that tells me the degrees. Or get one of them magnetic angle finders and put it on the mount or dish somewhere to get a angle. Then take it off the pole put the motor on it and mount the dish and adjust for that angle you found with the electronic measuring device. Or some have made string and protractors.
But that is how I did it. I am just east of you by lakeview. If the fellow from Holland can not get there in the near future pm me.

Just came back from Dan's ( about 65 miles north) and he's going now. He has the Invacom qph031 lnbf, so we roughed in his dish using Nimiq2, then fine tuned it on AMC3 . That's the easy way.
We set up about 6 sats on his ( rotten) Viewsat Ultra LIte , and scanned them in. Tracking the arc, so now he's got to do the rest of the work, getting his tp list up to date, and filling in the gaps of the sats that he wants. Kind of a fun day, but I'm glad to be home.
:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts