new to fta - need suggestions and comments !!! please !!!help !!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Being motorized has no bearing on how many connectors your LNBF needs.
Two different things.

For a single receiver, the new PLL Standard Ku LNBF From SatelliteAV would be a good choice.

thanks anole . so a quad lnb could be used for 4 receivers ??? or anyone tell me what i need to hook up 4 rec's or is it as simple as multiswitches ? (4 rec's - 4 diff channels- 2 motorized dish's ???) ( the only stupid question - is the unasked one ! )

Last edited:
There's multiple ways of doing just about whatever.
Quad output - each output to 1 of 4 receivers.
Dual output LNBF's and multiswitch. 2-4-8 receivers the most common.. Hook up almost unlimited # of receivers with additional diseqc switches. Look in the FAQ's for Switches Simplified(or something to that effect)
edit: direct link [h=3]Switch setups simplified[/h]

The Switches Simplified FAQ was composed to show the basics.
The most advanced diagram has 8 dual output LNBFs feeding 4 (8?) receivers.
At the time, I never considered quad output LNBFs.
Figured that anyone who needed 'em already knew what they were doing. :)

Also, 4-output LNBFs were expensive, and there was not the choice/variety as single and dual output devices.
That is still true, but here is a simplified design using them:
- receivers are RA, RB, RC, & RD.
- each receiver is fed by the output of a four input diseqc switch, SA, SB, SC, & SD.
- switch SA four inputs are labeled: SA1, SA2, SA3, & SA4.
- LNBs are L1, L2, L3, & L4. If two things connect to L1, it is understood you used different LNB connectors
- wire as follows:
- Sa1 to L1, Sa2 to L2, Sa3 to L3, & Sa4 to L4
- repeat for each receiver/switch
- Sb1 to L1, Sb2 to L2, Sb3 to L3, & Sb4 to L4.
...etc
Each receiver has access to all four dishes independently.
It's neither better nor worse than the diagram with multiswitches.
It's just different. And not expandable.

Now, as to the question of two motors.
I'm not aware of any receiver, motor, nor accessory supporting two motors acccessable to multiple receivers.
There have been a few examples of working systems by some advanced members, but getting one to work without specialized knowledge and some test equipment would be a challenge.

A work around would be to put one motor between receiver RA & switch SA, and the other motor between RB & SB.
That's what some members do.

:D thanks anole and fat air , -- new question , can someone explain lnbs--
1) cband (i know this one ) 2) dbs ?? (maybe ku/ka) & 3) universal ??
see here : http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=24278&d=1209537481

on the lighter side - if i set up 4 receivers - dishes prob should be fix - right? or can i get a advantage from motors on 1,2 etc?
not sure if this would even work properly - hence trying to view different channels that would require the dish to move .
goal was/is 2 dishes only but sounds like it may become 4 !! hahaaa. thank again EVERYONE for the inputs and reference's .

Last edited:
Iceberg used to have a quick reference that explained about various LNBs and their frequencies.
I dont see it right now, but read the following over 'n over 'till you understand: ... :)
- FAQ: Switches Simplified, posts 1,2,3,&4.
- FAQ: LNB LO Frequency 101, by SatelliteAV.

We don't do Ka band, so forget it.
But on Ku, we have 3 types of LNBF, with three LO frequencies & and three frequency bands we want to receive.
On C band we have one popular LO frequency and band.
The above reference material should explain.

Do NOT read about "bandstacked" LNBs; they are just a complication we will NOT discuss as they are guaranteed to confuse! :)

kool , i was questioning the lnbs due to 0-500 price ranges and 1,2,4 rf outputs ???
on to bigger -- i was reviewing receivers found this : http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...tellite-receiver-skybox/802066_576384332.html (good or bad?)
if they state mpeg 4 h264 does that mean dvb s2 as well . this f3 does not state dvb s2 on spec until very bottom . can you add a dvb-s2 card as upgrade to any models .?? i thought open box s10/11/12 where dvb-s2 h.264 .

kool , i was questioning the lnbs due to 0-500 price ranges and 1,2,4 rf outputs ???
on to bigger -- i was reviewing receivers found this : http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2012-free-shipping-skybox-f3-USB-WIfi-original-with-full-hd-newest-digital-satellite-receiver-skybox/802066_576384332.html (good or bad?)
if they state mpeg 4 h264 does that mean dvb s2 as well . this f3 does not state dvb s2 on spec until very bottom . can you add a dvb-s2 card as upgrade to any models .?? i thought open box s10/11/12 where dvb-s2 h.264 .

Stick with the microHD from satellite av as you will get support from the USA

thanks jmc , i understand the micro hd thing ( never ruled it out ,hahaa- love the support from tooo!) just i like to experiment and always looking for a BBD . (bigger,better,deal). i found some mini rec's (hmm fta mobile?)-that say dvb s2 and dvb -t t2 ?? what is dvbt /t2 ??

Turbo sat, Thanks that's just what I'm trying to do, I have a 36" dish in the northeast, I have my azimuth and elevation from dishpointer .com, I have done DirecTV for 3 years however my sathawk PVR100 won't tune in, it reads 45% signal, and 5% signal quality, but won't change no matter how much I try to move the dish, I have the receiver set to galaxy 19 the instructions reads 'receiver will go to a channel that gets signal to give an immediate picture. any suggestions TIA. satphat58

Last edited:
madratboy
DVB-T is not used in N.A.(continent) I would suppose that DVB-T2 is Second Generation.
Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Video_Broadcasting

satphat58 Welcome. (But maybe a new thread for your particular situation would be wise)
Get your 'bearings" www.dishpointer.com
Enter an active transponder to watch for Quality while tuning. TheList (is on every page) Also, the LNB settings must be correct (Type & Frequency)
Adjust dish in very small increments, and wait. May take the receiver 10 seconds for it to 'lock onto' a weak signal

Last edited:
Last edited:
This is a long thread , and we must have given you plenty of good advice on workable solutions.

That receiver is crap. It's been discussed recently by a member who got one.

That dish is crap. It's not suitable for FTA.

Think I'm wasting my time on this thread.

Madratboy,

I usually suggest that if someone is a first time FTA buyer, start with something that works and is simple to use.

Why not get your feet wet in FTA with a complete system including a 90cm dish, standard type LNBF and a DVBS2 receiver? No use in shopping for something that you don't yet understand or even know what you can watch or if you will even like...

Unfortunately, the equipment that you have selected will not work together to receive FTA. The receiver is only standard definition MPEG2, the dish is for circular polarity subscription service and would be perfect if you want to add to your current DirecTV account. I'm not sure how the in-dash receiver fits into a FTA system???

anole - again THANK YOU , and everyone has stated great info . local fta veteran hooked me up ! as for sat av post and last rec,dish, in dash .. just questioning the ability to put fta in a vehicle --- i am a "madmike " of pimp my ride !! auto electronics is second nature . again thanks to all ..... to save the peace - post closed......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts