NEW TO FTA - NEW INFO! LOL

rsellers1971

Original poster
Apr 12, 2019
KY
I know basics about FTA and have general knowledge but I am curious about setting up a dish. I picked up a Pansat 3500SD receiver pretty cheap and an older gentleman about 4 houses down from me has a 10' mesh dish will all its nose hardware will in tack, still in the ground.

1: Will the Pansat Receiver still work? Or at least work to start?
2: WIll the dish work without modifications assuming the nose hardware will functions? For C Band?

Remember I know basics so please not to technical, I know CBand requires a larger dish, but is it too old to work with modern receivers?

:welcome to SatelliteGuys rsellers1971!!

The Pansat will work to get you started, but is very limited these days. That is a DVB-S only receiver. Most things nowadays use DVB-S2 with DVB-S2X around the corner.
There are a few channels up there using DVBS, mostly on 97W Ku.

We would have to know what kind of Feedhorn and LNB setup was on that dish. It may work to get you started, but I recommend once you get it setup at your place you use replace the Feedhorn assembly(what you are calling nose hardware) with a Titanium C1-PLL. The C1-PLL is a feedhorn and LNB all built in one unit -- LNBF.
You will also need a dish mover for that. Right now there is only one good option for that, that has built in DiSEqC and that is the Titanium ASC1. The ASC1 will also control a polarotor if that is still what is on the dish and you wish to use it.
Pictures, pictures, and more pictures will help us help you! Feel free to ask all the questions you need! :)

Reactions: Titanium
I know basics about FTA and have general knowledge but I am curious about setting up a dish. I picked up a Pansat 3500SD receiver pretty cheap and an older gentleman about 4 houses down from me has a 10' mesh dish will all its nose hardware will in tack, still in the ground.

1: Will the Pansat Receiver still work? Or at least work to start?
2: WIll the dish work without modifications assuming the nose hardware will functions? For C Band?

Remember I know basics so please not to technical, I know CBand requires a larger dish, but is it too old to work with modern receivers?
Welcome to Satellite Guys rsellers1971! :) I see KE4EST has given you some great info already. As he said, the satellite receiver will still work but you will be very limited in the number of channels you can receive. I would suggest the Amiko Mini HD265 from Michael Electronics. :)

Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
I think this dish is complete so it should have the motorized actuator still attached.

The dish itself will require power? This is the only thing i cannot get with the dish is plumbing as its buried! I will most like have to cut is at the ground level.

Does the receiver supply power to the electronics on the dish itself, if so can I fabricate this?

I haven't seem the dish since last summer but it was all there for 30 bucks lol.

So it is possible to get it up and going, at least to a degree with what I have IE assuming the dish components and receiver work. And then upgrade out from there?

I remember the basics from the 80's Feedhorn down converter. LNB. I actually tried to build one when I was about 12 Lol.

I will get pics asap.

Welcome to Satellite Guys rsellers1971! :) I see KE4EST has given you some great info already. As he said, the satellite receiver will still work but you will be very limited in the number of channels you can receive. I would suggest the Amiko Mini HD265 from Michael Electronics. :)

Thanks for the info, I will be upgrading the receiver but was hoping to 'get in the door' so to speak without spending too much to start.

Reactions: Titanium and FTA4PA
I think this dish is complete so it should have the motorized actuator still attached.

The dish itself will require power? This is the only thing i cannot get with the dish is plumbing as its buried! I will most like have to cut is at the ground level.

Does the receiver supply power to the electronics on the dish itself, if so can I fabricate this?

I haven't seem the dish since last summer but it was all there for 30 bucks lol.

So it is possible to get it up and going, at least to a degree with what I have IE assuming the dish components and receiver work. And then upgrade out from there?

I remember the basics from the 80's Feedhorn down converter. LNB. I actually tried to build one when I was about 12 Lol.

I will get pics asap.
Thanks for the info, I will be upgrading the receiver but was hoping to 'get in the door' so to speak without spending too much to start.
If you get the dish it sounds like you can get started with what you have as long as you come up with a dish mover. As KE4EST said, the ASC1 is likely the only option for that. You used to be able to get a VBox mover fairly cheap but haven't seen any lately and the quality was also starting to slip on the latest ones. You can viisit Titanium's site here: Titanium Satellite - Store :)

Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
So the Titanium ASC1 is programmed with the satellite positions and drives the powered arm on the dish. It looks to be about $175. The receiver is about $100 bucks. Then whatever dish hardware that has to be upgraded.

So the Titanium ASC1 is programmed with the satellite positions and drives the powered arm on the dish. It looks to be about $175. The receiver is about $100 bucks. Then whatever dish hardware that has to be upgraded.

Correct, it moves the actuator to the different satellites across the arc. You can get an open box ASC1 unit for $135 and he will stand by it. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)