New to FTA since June 2014, My Dish Farm & FTA Project.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The c-clamps will grip over an 8-10" area. This plug will serve no purpose and may actually make the install more difficult.

If you install the non-slip tread strips on the wall of the mount before installing and buy a 3rd c-clamp for the mount, you should be able to minimize the amount of torque on the clamps and prevent crushing the pipe. The pipe that you used has a much thicker wall than regular masts, so this will also help prevent crushing.

Ok, I thought for sure someone told me to buy a pipe plug like Boris wanted me to, so the pipe wouldn't cave in, now I'm getting confused again. The dish mounting is one large metal clamp piece that clamps around the pipe with 4 bolts. I can't post a pic of that mounting clamp right now, about ready to head back out on the road. I still have the receipt for Lowes, so let me know what I am supposed to do next.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

@jorgek: the roof mount is the only ideal option for me. I have alot of very tall thick trees and bushes right out back of the house that my dishes can barely see over the tops of. I can't see anything east of 67W due to all the high trees. Anything mounted to the ground would look right up into the trees. They are in my property so I cut the tops off alot of them, but not sure a lift would go up that high. Its too much of a risky adventure for me.

You realize that with an offset dish the face of the dish may be pointed at the trees but the sat signal is about 22° higher and will clear the trees. My dishes are facing my neighbours house but because of the offset I get reception. The elevation marks on the dish compensate for the offset.
Hope I'm not confusing you.

Next step: Wait until the dish is delivered and assembled so you know how it mounts and what you need to buy.

The reason that Boris suggested a plug to be inserted into the mast that the motor is mounted on (1 7/8" OD) is because that small pipe easily deforms when the closely spaced motor clamps are over tightened. A deformed pole throws the motor mount out of plumb and makes the arc very difficult to track and making small adjustments becomes impossible.

The GEOSATpro 1.2m dish mount is being clamped onto a larger pole which has thicker walls. The 2 u-bolts on the 1.2m mount should be supplemented with a 3rd u-bolt and add a non-slip stair tread tape strip inside the mount where it will contact the pole. This sand paper like strip adds extra grab and the 3 u-bolts would not need to be over tightened to prevent rotation on the pole.

@Titanium: ok, I will go back to Lowes next weekend after I get back in town and exchange the plastic plug for a U-Bolt. The dish is expected to arrive this Wednesday, I doubt I will make it back that soon to take the dish box off the truck. My wife has several pieces of sandpaper in her tool box, will that work by any chance? :)

@Titanium: if regular sandpaper won't work, I will show the person at Lowes your post and see if they carry it. :) I hope someone won't tell me I did everything wrong after following everything you have shared with me so far.

The stair thread material has a sticky back and will not move on the post, the sandpaper may slide on the smooth post.

@jorgek: ok, that's what I wondered. I figured I would ask the question my wife will ask me later on. She is getting pretty tired of my money spending at Lowes. :)

Ok, so I ended up having enough time to run back to Lowes after all. Here is what I ended up with. Since I put on a 2.5 inch post, the original U-Bolts will be too small, so I got these.

Attachments

• 1406567362171.jpg
    1406567362171.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 97
Just to make sure nothing else wants to go wrong on me, I found the same 2.5 inch diameter post I bought earlier. Looks like it will tighten up just fine with the added dish bracket. The dish info from eBay says the max post to use is 3 inches OD, so the U-Bolts I bought should fit the holes in the mounting bracket just fine. :)

Attachments

• 1406567570962.jpg
    1406567570962.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 91
Love that you just keep buying stuff and hoping that it fits! I get it that you are excited and can't wait until you know what you need, but really, just a few days until the package arrives... No wonder your wife is freaking out! :D

Three u-bolts? Two u-bolts come with the 1.2m and the mount can accept a 3rd. Hope these U-bolts are the right size to fit the 1.2M mount pre-drilled holes. Remember to install flat washers on the u-bolts to distribute the load and prevent distorting the mount as shown in the 1.2 assembly sheet.

A bit of an overkill on the tread tape. Only 1/2" wide area will contact the pole. Maybe cut it in half (then you will have 30 feet for every step in the house)? :)

@Titanium, well, I could only buy what Lowes has in stock, the tape was about the smallest I can find, so I can always cut in half. Maybe I can use the rest of that tape on the roof for a really good grip on my shoes. :) As I mentioned the original U-Bolts that come with the dish are probably going to be for the smaller 2 and something inch pole, since I bought a 2.5 inch OD pole, those original U-Bolts are going to be too small, so I got the bigger ones that will fit. Im curious if any of my posts are actually getting read? Lol. Anyway, I have pleanty of washers I can use, and I will always have extra U-Bolts in case I need them for something else later. The guy who helped me in Lowes thought I was good to go with everything I showed him. :)

I think you have mis-understanding of how the mount on the GEOSATpro 1.2 works. Better wait until the dish comes in before you buy more stuff. ;)

Ok, I still have the reciept, I got all I can for right now, so will see how it goes when I get there. No promises if I can install everything next weekend. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.