New to FTA... What dish to use....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shmew22

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Kentucky
planning on gettin an ariza 700 reciever as a starter box. Just wonderin what dish i could use. Can i use just any old dish network, or directv dish to pic up fta or will i need somethin else?:confused: thanks in advance

Is there any magic reason you like the ariza 700 ?
Does it have blind scan?

As for dish, I'd encourage you to consider a 36" model . . . but that's just personal preference. ;)
If you look in our review section, there is an old review of the Fortec 36", compared to smaller.

Here's a very brief list of what's available on FTA.
Of course, for an extensive, technical presentation, TheList is far better.
'

not any particular reason.. just would like something good as a starter box. Like i said im new so forgive my noobishness. what would you recommend for a starter receiver? captive works any good? (im aiming for cheap as well... haha:up

The Fortec Star Mercury 2 is a decent starter receiver, has a very good blind search. The price is very low as well.

There are some low-end receivers that an experienced FTAer might choose for a kid's room or for Granny.
However, for a beginner, when we specify a "starter" receiver, it's not a throw-away, at all.
You need a decent one, with blind scan, and should probably be one that's checked out for good motor control, and switch control.
So, you'd want one that's been well reviewed by the FTA community.
We get a lot of visitors, who read reviews by the hacker community, and choose a receiver on that basis.
I won't mention any brands or models, but some just have that history and reputation. :D

The Fortec Star Mercury II receiver mentioned above, is a robust receiver, suitable for a beginner.
One that won't frustrate for it's lack of features. One will make life easy.
And it's pricing is modest.

I'm sure the members would like to suggest some others.

ariza

I'd do the research on that ARiza before I buy one-I seem to remember reading the manual for it someplace and it didn't have blind scan. I think the 800model does.
You can prob find the manual somewhere and d/l it,
I'd go with the known quantities that work, we all know the merc2 works, and the Traxis 3500 is low-priced, and very fast/accurate blind-scanning rec..

The people on this forum will do their best to help you get any system going, however, if you go with the Merc II or the Traxis, or most any other receiver recomended on the forums, you will not need much help to begin with! We aren't going to knock a unit we do not have --- and I do not have the one you mentioned --- but I am very pleased with my Mercury II's. (please, for your sake, take note of those who own, use and recommend receivers, and not JUST the dealers. Of couses, the dealers are agreeing with the other members, too.)

AH, yes, the title is a question of dishes, but the receiver issue made the helpers jumpy!

First, look for a used dish in your area. The famous Primestar or ChannelMaster dish is one of the best, especially if you get the original LNBF. If you can not find a good used one, then I suggest our Gold Sponsors, for the west coast SatelliteAV, and the east coast Sadoun - which cuts down on shipping costs. I have heard that GOSatellite ships quite a bit of their inventory from Canada so if you are North of the border, that would probably be your best bet. One member here got something shipped from Canada to his US location and the customs cost was more than the original price of the purchase.

I would not start with a motorized system - in fact I have enough room, and so much wind that I use separate fixed dishes on KU band and may also do that for C band.

Hey guys, thanks for all the help so far. Still have some questions... Many of you mentioned blind scan, what is it. And i might be able to get my hands on an old primestar dish(with lnb). What would happen if i could get that ( i mean will i have to buy anything but the reciever with that particular dish.)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that i have an HD tv but funds aren't there for an HD receiver yet. I would like one but all seem to high. I would like to be able to upgrade to one in the future, any recommendations on that would be appreciated as well

Last edited:
Some of the Primestars that have the LNB do have a 2X2 switch that is VERY useful. Otherwise you will need a way (switch) to get both the Vertical and Horizontal channels. This switch allows two receivers to hook up to the switch to get both polarities. Then a decent receiver that Blind Scans -- searches for all channels on the satellite -- instead of having to find the information to manually enter for each station or channel on each bird. Manual entry is discouraging!

In my opinion, SD signals on the FTA satellites are much beter than Cable's or Dish network's HD. My daughter has Cable HD on a six foot HD tv. FTA satellite from my mercII looks just as good on it, if not better.

I have the GeoSatPro also and would be great if you can not get the Primestar 75E or bigger. The wind moves the tin dish too much at home - Great here in the Seattle area.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think i will go with the ariza 700 due to its cheap price (im on a low budget) Hoping to get my hands on the p* dish mentioned. I also have a DTV dish so i can get the nasa channel, and angel 1 on 119. Only other question i really have is what switch should i get to hook all this up?

it has switch support, and as far as lnb i dont know exactly yet. will that primestar lnb work? Sorry to ask so many noob questions...

My opinion.... the P* lnbf works great. you will need a diseqc switch or a multi-switch for the P* lnbf because it has 2 outputs and one is for V (vertical) and the other is for H (horizontal). At least the one I have is like this? A diseqc switch will mean you will have to set it up as 2 different satellites, but a multi-switch will combine the V & H and allow it to be normal.

A four-input diseqc switch will let you select between LNBs.
But, wait 'till you have the Primestar to see if it needs a 2x2 multiswitch or not.
Really old ones might, but depending on what LNB is on it, it may not.
Or, you might swap out the LNB to bring it into the 20th century...
...but leave the feedhorn as-is.

As for the DTV dish, we would need more info as to which one you use.
The simple old dishes with separate LNBs are easy.
The later ones with some built-in switching may need some discussion.
The very latest big dishes, are another animal. ;)

Lot of receivers ship with a complimentary 4x1 diseqc switch.
They can be had cheaply, if you need to purchase one.
They are a bit delicate, so be warned, turn off power to the receiver before connecting anything along the coax path!

As for your questions, they show you are thinking.
That'll help you get things rolling with minimal surprises at the last minute. :)

the DTV dish i assume is the older one (RCA brand) one lnb. I may actually go with the SV-360 instead for pvr. When i get the dish i will let you guys know which one it has. Thanks again:up I will probably have to wait till after the new year to buy anything but just gettin an idea of how much it'll cost.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts