New to FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kdarcangelis870

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
I have subbed to and installed both Directv and Dish Network System. I recently did some computer work for a friend and while I was over I noticed he had a big c-band dish in his backyard. I asked him if he still had the receiver and he gave me and old Echostar receiver and a General Instrument DSR 920 4DTV receiver. However I didn't take the dish since it was all rusted and I have had previous problems trying to get my HOA to allow a 12 foot dish in my backyard. I have been looking into a cheap FTA system and found one on ebay.

Captiveworks CW-500S. Complete Satellite FTA system. - (eBay item 320187884806 end time Dec-03-07 00:38:35 PST)

Needless to say, my two questions are
1: is this a decent system for a beginner?
2: will the DSR 920 receive ku analog and in-the-clear digicipher 2? (i want to receive the pbs x feed on AMC 3)

Thanks

Looks like a good starter system to me (check some of our sponsors on top of page, you may find a similar deal or better without worrying with ebay)

The 4DTV may work on the ku channels that are in the clear, provided it has current channel maps and has ever been subscribed to any programming.
If it's been awhile since it was used it prob needs to download new channel maps. I'm not sure if they all work for the fixed key DC2 channels or not , without being activated somehow. The FTA system you're looking at will get a slew of PBS channels on AMC3ku, which are not scrambled at all. All but a couple have AC-3 Dolby Digital audio, which needs a home theater decoder or similar DD capable amp to decode.

1. Its not the best system but will get the job done. There is no blind scan so it can be a pain to set up.
2. PBS is on AMC4 analog. There are digital feeds on AMC3 KU but you need a way to decode the audio using a separate AC-3 capable receiver. The CW WILL NOT output the audio so if you want it for the PBS on AMC3 dont get that box

1. Its not the best system but will get the job done. There is no blind scan so it can be a pain to set up.
2. PBS is on AMC4 analog. There are digital feeds on AMC3 KU but you need a way to decode the audio using a separate AC-3 capable receiver. The CW WILL NOT output the audio so if you want it for the PBS on AMC3 dont get that box

Thanks for both of your replies. I am probably going to order the starter system from Sadoun instead. But, when you mean there is no blind scan, does that mean I have to input all of the transponders manually? The ebay listing does say it has "blind search." What is the difference?

I almost forgot, the DSR 920 will work for digicipher II, right?

If the rec is still good (battery hasnt died in it) yes the 920 is for DC2 signals, c and ku bands. but you need a big dish to get the c-band digicipher stuff . Not sure how much DC2 is ku....though the new package that skyvision is selling IS ku on Gal 16.

One more thing. The captiveworks has a SPDIF out. If I were to plug this into my computers SPDIF in would that setup be able to decode AC3?

A "blind search" receiver will find all active transponder and save them to your receiver. If the receiver does not have "blind search" then you have to manually enter all the transponder information into the receiver.

One more thing. The captiveworks has a SPDIF out. If I were to plug this into my computers SPDIF in would that setup be able to decode AC3?

Your computer should be able to decode AC3.

But, when you mean there is no blind scan, does that mean I have to input all of the transponders manually?
yep. Everything would have to be manually entered
The ebay listing does say it has "blind search." What is the difference?
the 500 doesnt have blind scan. I have the 600 and it claims blind scan but it doesnt work

I almost forgot, the DSR 920 will work for digicipher II, right?

yes it will

another thing it claims it can do. I know the CW500 & 600 claims to have a dolby digital out but it doesn't work on the PBS channels

Thanks guys. I was looking at the "S-1 FTA-Classic Choice Set" on sadoun, but I am really looking for something dirt cheap, so I am probably going with the ebay. I can always upgrade to a better receiver when I have the cash. Hopefully the "blind search" will be helpful, but I really do not care if I have to set up things manually (ie: lyngsat listings). I can't wait for it to come!

For a packaged system, this one comes with components pretty much anyone here would rate as very good.
It's from one of our advertizers, and has a nice receiver that meets all the performance specs recommended above.
Plus, as I tried to point out to the last cheap shopper, it comes with installation supplies you'd have to buy anyway.

I saw your comment about upgrading to a better receiver later.
This is the better receiver, with proper motor control, AC3 out, and real blind scan.
Probably one of the top three or four you'll have recommended to you on this forum.
Also, buying something that'll fall into disuse later, is the waste of money.
I know. I got a low-end receiver first, then bought the Mercury II about six months later.

This is the better receiver, with proper motor control, AC3 out, and real blind scan.
Probably one of the top three or four you'll have recommended to you on this forum.
Also, buying something that'll fall into disuse later, is the waste of money.
I know. I got a low-end receiver first, then bought the Mercury II about six months later.
I have the Fortec Mercury II as well a older Lifetime Ultra - I agree with Anole on this, spend the $179 and you won't regret it, well worth it!
Bob

I have almost that system but I went with the two satellite upgrade, For the extra $20. it is worth it. But I am buying one for my grand kids (and kids) but only for 3 neworks on one satellite, (TBN channels) and the system Anole recommends is what I am getting for them.
POP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)